Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long weekenders
13-09-2004, 07:05 PM,
Long weekenders
are necessary but Jeez don't they write the rest of the day off?

I squeezed out 15.02 miles on Sunday morning. I could also tell you the average altitude if I felt like it Smile but I don't.

There's something remotely satisfying about these long runs. No matter how far they are, provided I push myself just that little bit too far, the last mile or two always seems to be a throwback to how I felt in the latter stages of the marathons I've done - a veteran of 2!

Is it just me who feels spent for the rest of the day after this sort of distance? I certainly hope not.

The New York Marathon is on Sunday November 7th, and it's looming fast. I have yet to make a decision about a taper, but it's looking likely that it will only be only two weeks. That would mean I really only have 5 long runs left, so perhaps don't have the comfort of a step-back week.

If in the remaining time I can do 16, 18, 18, 18 and 20 before tapering, well.......that's my goal, even though I'll have to work around a long weekend in Rome next month that I have to suffer.

Perhaps these plans, coupled with my midweek assaults on The Monster, will be enough. When I started this schedule my goal was to run (albeit slowly) the whole way around in relative comfort; in reality I don't think I'll have done enough to achieve that.
13-09-2004, 09:40 PM,
Long weekenders
Hi Andy,

Good luck with the training, aren't hills fun? You shouldn't look at step-back weeks as comforts or luxuries, they are necesary to assimulate the training you are doing, so stick to them. Probably more important than doing that last long one.
14-09-2004, 07:15 AM,
Long weekenders
Thought you might like to see my local lung-buster. This actually inspired me (along with a whole bunch of other things) to take up running, because it was while walking down this track that I was flummoxed by the sight of a woman in her 40s running UP it... until that moment I had held the firm opinion that the uptrack was totally impossible to run.

From the "x" in the photo (where there is road access) to the top is a lazy 1200 metres in length for a climb in altitude of 220 metres. You can see the track snaking its way up the ridge line. Formidable!

I still seriously can't see myself ever being able to run it (walking it is a serious enough undertaking), but I know it's possible, and it's local proximity (10 minute drive from my house) means that it will forever haunt me until I at least try it.

But not quite yet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
14-09-2004, 08:20 AM,
Long weekenders
I'll try this picture lark again.

Hurrah! It worked!

OK, this is a "before" picture.....

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
14-09-2004, 08:22 AM,
Long weekenders
And this is the "after".

The story will appear in the next logs to go up, at the weekend.

El Gordo

14-09-2004, 01:46 PM,
Long weekenders
Andy why are you wearing a skirt? Eek
14-09-2004, 07:39 PM,
Long weekenders
In fact I'll go further. Why are you hijacking my serious training thread just because you managed to stagger up a bit of a slope - in a skirt - with a stick!!

MLCM's Rolling Hill and The Mountain are on our doorsteps. They are always there, resplendent in all their hypnotic majesty, tempting us whenever we run. Sucking us in, until we can resist no longer and climb - upwards and onwards we climb, temples pulsating from the supreme effort.

Until at last we reach the peak, and turn to measure our achievement. The land below basking in the late afternoon sun.

Yes that is hill training. That is what will see us through those painful miles in our respective races. It is the reason we run!

MLCM and I are in complete agreement on this......errr, probably.

Big Grin
14-09-2004, 07:43 PM,
Long weekenders

14-09-2004, 08:43 PM,
Long weekenders
Everyone seems to have fantastic hills near them, I'm beginning to feel left out!! Everything is so flat and boring round here. I've always hated running up hills but now I want one of my own!!
15-09-2004, 04:34 AM,
Long weekenders
I always agree with everything you say SP... Wink

BTW, I think Andy's photo is a fake. I found this one on another forum... much more respectable, and more like the Andy we know so well.

Run. Just run.
15-09-2004, 12:10 PM,
Long weekenders
YP - How can you say that Yorkshire has no hills?!!
El Gordo

16-09-2004, 12:31 AM,
Long weekenders
You call those hills? Wink
Run. Just run.
16-09-2004, 07:05 PM,
Long weekenders
Quote:Originally posted by Riazor Blue
Hi Andy,

Good luck with the training, aren't hills fun? You shouldn't look at step-back weeks as comforts or luxuries, they are necesary to assimulate the training you are doing, so stick to them. Probably more important than doing that last long one.

Interesting point Brian, and one that I completely missed. I'd always assumed that step-back weeks are built in just to stop you getting progressively more knackered.

Can I ask what you (or anyone else for that matterBig Grin) would suggest in terms of long runs between now and the race on 7 Nov, given that I am doing 15 at the moment in relative comfort?

I thought 16, 18,18,18, 20 then taper was pretty good. Thoughts?
16-09-2004, 09:36 PM,
Long weekenders
RB is right. And a two week taper is pretty short. You've got a long flight during that time, too.

Why not plan 16, 18, 12, then 20, 12 ?

Better under-trained than over-trained for the Big Apple. The hillwork takes it out of you, so don't overdo it.

Good luck for the big push. Less than a month of hard work to go now.

Nigel
17-09-2004, 01:55 PM,
Long weekenders
Hi Andy,
I'd say that Nigel's got it about right for the long runs. Also on the hills. I'd go further and think about leaving hillwork and think about fartlek sessions instead, changes of rhythm here and there on some of your midweek runs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Three Years long Enough? Seafront Plodder 19 12,483 22-11-2016, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  As long as the battery lasts! Seafront Plodder 7 4,117 05-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Nigel