This year's crazy stunt
03-10-2004, 02:28 PM,
This year's crazy stunt
Greetings from Indiana! I haven't posted here for quite some time but I have been reading the posts. Before I begin to drone on I must say "Well done!" to YP on his GNR! From what I know of the event it sounds like you ran an excellent race. Congratulations!

I saw Nigel's name pop up today in my usual hang out (Hal Higdon's forum) and it reminded me of Andy and this forum, so I thought I'd share my "brilliant idea" for this year. While I'm not doing 4 or 5 maratrhons like last year I've decided to do two in two weeks. Chicago on Oct 10 and Detroit on the 24th. I actually toyed with the idea of hoping a plane after Detroit and flying to Dublin to run that one the next day. Luckily for me my oldest son started college this fall so my funding for crazy stunts just isn't what it use to be. That could be an option for next year though! I suppose I should see how my old bones react to two marathons in two weeks this year before attempting two in two days next year. The taper madness for Chicago is in full bloom right now and we're all about to climb out of our skin. I just keep telling myself "One more week. One more week. One more week."

So, if I survive this year's challenge I'll post a quick report on why rapidly aging men such as myself should always think on things for a few days before clicking that "Register Now" button.

Cheers
03-10-2004, 07:20 PM,
This year's crazy stunt
What made you think I was male? Some of us women are mad enough to run as well!
03-10-2004, 08:30 PM,
This year's crazy stunt
Sorry, YP! I know your a lady I just got my pronouns switched around. I guess that's what I get for posting too early on a Sunday morning. Please accept my most sincere apology and my congratulations on a fine race as well.
03-10-2004, 09:37 PM,
This year's crazy stunt
Hi Rick

Great to hear from you again. I'm conscious that Chicago is coming up as a few messages have appeared on the UK Runners World site about it recently. People are always asking there if Chicago is "worth doing". Yes, I always reply, Chicago is worth doing.

In a way I'm glad that you're not doing Dublin because if you had been, I'd be very annoyed with myself for pulling out of it. Announcing my intention to run Dublin has become an annual event. Sheepishly announcing, a few months later, that I won't be doing it after all, is also an annual event.

Next year, no doubt, I'll once again resolve to run it. If you're up for it, let me know well in advance so that I can work harder on not flunking the training yet again. It would be great to meet up again, over a pint or two of post-race Guinness. Dublin is one of the world's great cities. The marathon has a lot of American runners in it, I'm told.

I've not visited Hal's forum for ages. I will call in again soon and reacquaint myself with some of the characters there.

We made a flying visit to Detroit when we were doing our whistle-stop tour of Michigan and Ohio in teh week after the marathon in 2002. We visited the Tamla Motown museum and were given a personal tour by Berry Gordie's nephew, which was fantastic. Interesting city. Not since Calcutta have I seen such extremes of wealth and poverty side by side.

Very best of luck with the marathons, Rick. Do let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marathons next year El Gordo 53 22,845 31-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Last Post: marcymarc24
  Happy New Year? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 2 1,662 31-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  It's that time of year stillwaddler 19 7,177 23-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Sweder