Marathons next year
17-01-2005, 09:49 PM,
Marathons next year
"Bottomless" isn't a word normally associated with me, SP.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
18-01-2005, 08:23 AM,
Marathons next year
Hi everybody, here i am again.
Changed my plans, due to an unexpected flue and an expected trip to Ireland i did no training for more than 15 days so i wont be ready for Sevilla.
I am rescheduling my trainning plan for Madrid marathon, i shall decide by the end of this month.
By the way, i had a great time in Irelend and i'll be back again for easter hollydays.
18-01-2005, 09:15 AM,
Marathons next year
Sampedro, you're obviously a seriously good runner - what marathon training program do you follow?
Run. Just run.
18-01-2005, 12:48 PM,
Marathons next year
This time i am goint to follow one published in this nonth's runner's world (spanish edition). I think its quite a good plan, done by "Rodrigo Gavela" a spanish runner that has a "Running School" in MAdrid and trains both popular and pro runners.
I took the one to try 3 hours, though in Madrid will be almost impossible, but there are two more plans for 3h30min. and 4h.
There is also a web page where you can find training programs for different levels http://www.elkilometro.com/entrenamientos/, but i think the ones in Runner's are better for a popular runner.
If anyone here wants the plan i dont mind sharing it, the only one i have in a spreadsheet is the 3 hours plan, the two other are in paper.
19-01-2005, 03:13 PM,
Marathons next year
It´s a pity you can´t run Seville since it is flatter than Madrid, Sampedro but the atmosphere in Madrid is great. Besides, you´ll be able to be with Riazor Blue who wanted to go this year too. By the way, what´s the matter with Brian? We haven´t heard of him for a long time. I don´t think I´ll run a marathon this year. I liked the experience last year and if I´d been lucky at the ballot for London marathon, I´d have trained for it although I´ve been unlucky this season since I had lumbago in December and now I have a terrible cold and a problem in my left eye- it must have been something that got inside when I was in the countryside last Saturday- which makes me feel badly and unable to go for a run since last Thursday. I expect to be all right for Almería half on 30th January.

Well, Sampedro, best of luck.

Greetings from Almería

Antonio

20-01-2005, 09:53 AM,
Marathons next year
Thank you Antonio. As i said before i didn't mena to run Madrid this year but i finally will. I run it i 2004 and i suffered a lot, it was really hard because it was too hot and sunny, i just hope this year the weather will be milder.
Best of lucks and get well soon...
25-01-2005, 08:40 PM,
Marathons next year
I've changed my mind again. Madrid is out, it's too close to all the good stuff in Galicia, Vigo-Baiona, Porriño, and the re-scheduled Ribeira halves. They can come in handy for Toral de los Vados in June.

I'm still around Antonio, I'ts just that what with the Christmas rush, then the sales this month, all I've done is be in the shop or out running.
26-01-2005, 08:37 AM,
Marathons next year
That's a pity Riazor, but i think both Porriño And Vigo-Baiona are good tests for Madrid. I plan to do both halves as a test.
By the way, i don't know of any half marathon in Ribeira area, can you tell me the dates?
Thanks
26-01-2005, 06:45 PM,
Marathons next year
Thank you, Sampedro. I´m feeling much better now. Good luck in Madrid and the previous tests! You can still enter Almería half and try to beat Heile Gebreselassie.

Congratulations for your PB at Viana do Castelo and for losing so much weight in one year, Brian! What have you done to lose those kilos? I´ve gained a few ones after Madrid marathon. It´s a pity you´re going to run in Madrid but the atmosphere is very friendly in Toral de los Vados as well as you told us last year.

It´s a pity you won´t be able to come to Almería half but we can all gather up there in the north for another race.

Regards

Antonio

26-01-2005, 10:15 PM,
Marathons next year
I was talking with someone in the shop the other day and he said that he's running the marathon in Badajoz this Sunday and Toral at the end of June. What he said made sense to me:

The best half marathon in Galicia is Vigo-Bayona, which will be on 10 April this year. The veterans championship in half marathon is in Porriño at the end of March.

If you do Madrid, you really do not want to 'race' in VIG-BAY as you should be starting to taper. Likewise, Porriño is one month before Madrid. As it's the championship, and a flat course, one would hope to go flat out, well, me at least. So, if anything went wrong, like it did in VIG-BAY last year, there's not too much time to recover.

My thinking was that I could really attack these two halves, then use Ferrerua, Vigo and Betanzos as part of the marathon preparation. That way I can race the important ones, and still have time to recover if I do something stupid.

By the way, Sampedro, were you still looking for a Preuba de Fuerza? Andres Diaz was in the shop the other day and he and a collegue are offering the service in La Coruña. I don't know how much it costs, but I'll send you a private message tomorrow.
27-01-2005, 09:13 AM,
Marathons next year
Well Brian, i still think those halves are godd tests for Madrid. I think doing a half 2 weeks before a marathon is niot that bad, yopu still have time to recover from the effort, i hope i won't do somethng stupid in Vigo. The only problem is that i will have to stop my trainning program for a week in march due to a trip i have to do and i won't be able to train, i will be back one week before Vigo.
I am still interested in th "Prueba de Esfuerzo" so it would be great if you could send me that info.
Bye and tkae care..
31-01-2005, 11:30 AM,
Marathons next year
Hi all

I am hoping to do the London this year. I got in last year but got injured but I have been a lot less ambitious with my early training this time and all is well with a mere 75 days 11 hours and 58 minutes to go until kick off!

Now, if I could just find my running shoes under all these pizza boxes and beer cans...........
...if my knees could talk, I hate to think what they'd call me!
31-01-2005, 11:36 AM,
Marathons next year
Howdy all

A quick question for you. I ran a half marathon at the weekend as part of my training schedule and finished in 1hr 28mins 20secs.

I was delighted to break the 1 and a half barrier but am curious as to whether a half time can give any sort of indication as to what I might do in a full marathon.

I would consider doing the half at that speed all over again a pretty tall order when I finished but my training schedule is for sub 3.30.

Any pearls of wisdom?

Steve
...if my knees could talk, I hate to think what they'd call me!
31-01-2005, 05:07 PM,
Marathons next year
That is a pretty quick time! You can try this pace calculator to see what your marathon time might be.

Pace predictor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy New Year? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 2 1,655 31-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  It's that time of year stillwaddler 19 7,157 23-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  This year's crazy stunt Iceman 3 1,898 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Last Post: El Gordo