It's that time of year
21-12-2004, 10:05 AM,
It's that time of year
So - Happy Christamas everyone, hope all the training is going well and that the pounds don't pile on too quickly over the Christmas weekend.

Andy - Are you OK??? Have been missing your slant on Life, Runnning and the Universe, if you are injured or ill hope you recover soon.

Have tried to add a .jpg as attachment to this posting, didn't work - shame its a rather jolly game of Chavopoly :-)
21-12-2004, 10:45 AM,
It's that time of year
Hi SW

Injured or ill? Not at all, though I have been preparing for Christmas by over-indulging a little.

I've been in Holland and Reading, and was just about to upload some stuff, so it should be there in a few minutes.

Chavopoly sounds good. Hmm, just tried attaching an image and it seems to have worked (from last years's FLM).

What's happening? You should be able to click the button below the message and browse to your file, then click upload.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
21-12-2004, 04:46 PM,
It's that time of year
Seasons Greetings fellow forumites. Festive season has coincided with a most unpleasant cold, so no training this week for me. You may recall my dismay at the airbrushed photo on the cover of the 'You're In' edition of the FLM magazine - here's a copy of the original photo.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

21-12-2004, 04:59 PM,
It's that time of year
Shoot, didn't load! I'll try again later

21-12-2004, 06:15 PM,
It's that time of year
[smugbastard]I have already been sent a copy of the "You're In" FLM magazine![/smugbastard]

Big Grin
21-12-2004, 11:34 PM,
It's that time of year
You may have your copy of the 'Your'e in', but you can't make your icons post (assuming the /smugbastard/ was a posted icon). For those of you who've not seen it, here's that photo (fingers crossed)

22-12-2004, 09:29 AM,
It's that time of year
Lucky persons. Thank you so much for twisting the knife.
Not at all jealous. No. No, really. Absolutely not. Not at all.
22-12-2004, 12:16 PM,
It's that time of year
What was airbrushed out, Sweder? What's the significance of the photo?
El Gordo

22-12-2004, 02:01 PM,
It's that time of year
sorry, brochure Big Grin

andy Wrote:What was airbrushed out, Sweder? What's the significance of the photo?

Here's the pic, scanned from front cover of said pile of ads.

There are two main differences you will immediately see. The first is down to me, as I have scanned it in b/w to help save the planet; I'll leave you to try and spot the otherRolleyes

22-12-2004, 07:59 PM,
It's that time of year
My best wishes for you all at Christmas and next year 2005. I wish all your aims would be fulfilled.

FELIZ NAVIDAD. HAPPY CHRISTMAS.

Antonio

22-12-2004, 08:09 PM,
It's that time of year
As SP has demonstrated, FLM have airbrushed the charity name from the shirts before using the picture on their magazine. I have no problem with them using the photo - you accept that any pictures taken by Actionphoto are the property of FLM. But why airbrush out the charity?

My theory is, JDRF is not one the 'official' charities for FLM 2005 - I think Cancer Research is one, possibly Lukemia Research as well. FLM did not want to offend the official charities but HAD to use this photo as it is the best of the bunch from 2004.

It's just a darned shame for JDRF. I run for them and I know
a) how hard they work to get coverage of any kind and more importantly
b) that they are officially one of the top 3 charities IN THE WORLD as verified by Forbes magazine for converting funds into research. In other words they spend more per quid/ dollar/ euro raised on finding a cure than just about every other charity.

Can you guess I'm a little upset? Sorry - like I say, FLM have not breached any rules; it's just a shame that they use our runners without acknowledging their reason for taking part. That, and my daughter is insulin dependant and benefits from what JDRF have achieved.

By the way, we did make front page of the Times last Monday (13th) - JDRF funded the research that lead to the development of a vaccine to protect those most at risk and restrict/ halt the condition in newly diagnosed children. Human tests are underway, and a 'cure' could be in place within 10 years.

OK, putting my soap box back in the broom cupboard . . .

23-12-2004, 12:23 AM,
It's that time of year
Gosh, that's really terrible, Sweder.

Clearly the only honourable way out for an upstanding man of conviction like yourself is to withdraw from the race immediately, and reluctantly pass on your place to me.

I'll be sure to pass on your views to David Bedford.

Just as soon as I've caught up with him, that is.
23-12-2004, 12:30 AM,
It's that time of year
OK Sweder, seeing as you've been a good egg so far, how about we make JDRF the official charity of the RC website in 2005? It's no skin off my nose.

Let's talk about it after Christmas, but if you want to get some publicity here you're very welcome. You can stick something on the front page, and we'll try to drum up some support for you.
El Gordo

23-12-2004, 09:44 AM,
It's that time of year
yup,that's exactly what I did Andy, will try again with this message, delighted you are hale and hearty.

Sweder, I think its appalling they airbrushed out the charity on the shirts, if they are so touchy maybe they should have chosen a pic from one of the "official" charities instead.

have tried attachment again....came up with "sending request to www.runningcommentary" etc, then changed to "waiting for www.running" etc, then said "done" - but it didn't, or I was depending how you look at it ;-)
Phew this is hard work !
23-12-2004, 10:03 AM,
It's that time of year
Actually, I'm not that hale and hearty. Well, I suppose I'm feeling fairly hearty but not sure about hale. Whatever that actually means....

I've got a very painful left foot. It's gout I think, which crops up from time to time. Started in Holland, subsided over the weekend, and has got bad again, so no running since Sunday. Have to hope it goes down again for my now traditional Christmas morning plod.
El Gordo

23-12-2004, 11:27 AM,
It's that time of year
andy Wrote:...............I've got a very painful left foot. It's gout I think ............Have to hop it goes down again...
Big Grin

Sorry, couldn't resist it.
23-12-2004, 11:33 AM,
It's that time of year
That's a shame.....
El Gordo

23-12-2004, 11:57 AM,
It's that time of year
my brother used to suffer from gout, then he gave up Guiness - seriously!!! I sympathise I hear it is a very painful condition - can you still run or does running make it worse?
(Am still attempting to do the attachment)
Phew this is hard work !
23-12-2004, 01:15 PM,
It's that time of year
A really good friend of mine emigrated to Ireland purely to drink Guinness (well, slight exaggeration, but an element of truth - and his wife is Irish) and promptly developed gout. Now he can't drink Guinness at all, but he can and does drink Jamesons.

But he's not a runner, so I've no sympathy at all.

Sorry, what was this thread about?
Run. Just run.
23-12-2004, 04:33 PM,
It's that time of year
I think it's extremely kind of everyone to talk about Guinness in my time of woe - most thoughtful and touching. Frankly gout doesn't sound that bad, and certainly not worth giving up the Dark Gold for.

SP, you should be ashamed of yourself - that joke was appalling, and doesn't leave you a leg to stand on.

Andy, thank you for your generous suggestion re: official charity status for the FLM 2005. That would be too cool for school - I will contact Adele at JDRF and we'll get you a logo (we just generated a 'Run to Cure' logo). Let me know what else y'all need.

Nigel - you're welcome to take my place old boy.
Sadly, as I'm on a Golden Bond (as opposed to On Golden Pond, although I currently feel slightly less prepared than Henry Fonda in that wrinkly saga), you'll have to stump up 1500 semolians for the privilage : )

MLCMan - I hope your friend recovers, as Jamesons will do infinitley more damage than the Water of Life. Oh, he's not a runner? I see . . . yep, who cares.

Happy Humbug y'all. (Still got the lurghie and haven't run since Sunday. Stand by for serious whinging in my FLM diary . . . )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marathons next year El Gordo 53 22,835 31-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Last Post: marcymarc24
  Happy New Year? Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 2 1,660 31-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  This year's crazy stunt Iceman 3 1,901 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Hello (long time no see) parky 0 1,133 01-05-2004, 02:48 PM
Last Post: parky