Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Silvestre El Ejido 2004
01-01-2005, 06:07 PM,
Yesterday, the last day of 2004, I took part at El Ejido San Silvestre race. I didn´t feel very well because I had a cold and a beginning of flu, which made me have some medicine. In fact, the previous day I had been on a bicycle ride with Alan and other British cyclists who are on a bicycle tour in the south-east of Spain. We had a very good time at Turrillas, Lucainena de las Torres, Polopos. Although it was a nice sunny day, I may have taken some cold. However, as I felt better the following day, I decided to go to El Ejido, which is about 30 kms away from Almería. I went with my brother by car. It was a sunny day. When we arrived at the town hall to pick up my race number, I met a friend who had encouraged me to take part at this race two years ago. His name´s Antonio L. He´s going to take part at Almería half as well.

After picking up my race number and the bag of goodies, a vest and some leaflets. I went to the toilet crossing the hall where there was a very big beautiful crib. At the toilet, I met a thin Moroccan who asked me where you could get the pins to put your number on. I told him they were in the bag. Then, I went to the start to warm up a little. I met another friend, Jorge, from Almería who I met through the internet and we ran at Roquetas in June 2004.

The race had to start at 5 o´clock but as there were people entering late, it started at 5:15. There were around 150 runners. One of them runs disguised every year. This year he disguised as a feeding bottle. The race consists of 5 laps along the boulevard which are 2200 metres long. It starts going up and then it goes down and up again. In all, 11 kms. I started at the back doing the first lap in 12 minutes. I had to do the race in 60 minutes since the chip control is closed after one hour because there´s a non-competitive race afterwards, mainly for children and parents which is much shorter. When I wanted to enter on the phone, I suggested letting us finish in 65-70 minutes or reducing the race to four laps, 8.8 kms, and giving us one hour. I went alone most of the time although I was overtaken by most runners or I could see them opposite. There were a lot of people cheering and sometimes some children offered me their hands to shake hands although some of them said smiling “El año que viene” . “ Next year”. I also saw a girl who I met two years ago because we did the last four laps together but last year she couldn´t take part because she was injured and this year she´s injured again. Her name´s Alicia and she´s from El Ejido.

My brother took some photos of me and the race. He also gave me some water when I asked him after 5 kms. Besides, the organisation offered us water after the first runners got to the finish., which they did in around 30 minutes. I couldn´t keep the pace at the second race. It took me 12´30´´. The next ones were a bit slower. When I reached the finish on the opposite side, the man with the loud speaker told me to have a bottle of water and congratulated me but he told me the control was closed. Anyway, I went on to finish in 66 minutes. I saw that there were two other runners who hadn´t finished yet who also continued running. It´s a pity that they don´t give more time for slow runners like me but I don´t mind since I just want to finish the last race of the year. Last year it took me 69 minutes but two years ago I managed to finish in 63 minutes. I can´t complain since in December I was able to go for a run only six days because of a lumbago which had made me take a lot of medicines and stop running for two weeks. Besides, I´m four kilos fatter than last year. Anyway, I find it difficult to manage to finish Almería half marathon under two hours but I´m sure we´ll all have a good time here then. I wish you all a very happy New Year and I hope you will achieve your goals.

01-01-2005, 08:37 PM,
Well done Antonio, a good way to end the old year and start the new.

We are looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month. Save some cakes for us please.....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-01-2005, 09:47 AM,
Thank you, Andy.

Congratulations for your new job. I expect you get better from your injury. Did you finally take part at Hyde park 10 km yesterday?

Well, yes, Andy. We can have lots of chocolate and churros, pasta, tapas, paella, etc in four weeks´time here. Smile In the Almería half marathon thread we all can suggest what we´d like to do that weekend.

Best wishes

Antonio

02-01-2005, 08:13 PM,
Well run, Antonio. Faster than last year, despite sickness, a bad back and 4 kg exta on board. That sounds like a very good run indeed.

Feliz ano nuevo ! (sorry, I can't do the Spanish 'enye' on this phone). Y hasta el fin de enero (see you at the end of January).
02-01-2005, 10:14 PM,
Gracias, Nigel. ¿Cómo estás? I hope you´re better from your injury. Apparently, we´re all going through injuries. I expect we can all run Almería half without any discomfort.

Feliz año nuevo. Hasta pronto.
Happy New Year. See you soon.
Antonio

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  II San Silvestre Almería. 27th December 2009 Antonio247 6 5,986 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XX Carrera San Sivestre El Ejido 29th Dec 2007 Antonio247 5 4,248 07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  San Silvestre de El Ejido 2006 Antonio247 4 3,580 07-01-2007, 04:52 PM
  San Silvestre El Ejido 2005 Antonio247 0 1,930 01-01-2006, 09:58 PM