Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onwards and...
09-01-2005, 11:57 AM,
Onwards and...
We all know it. You know, the post run, leg tingling buzzy feeling that comes from a good session; it’s here with me now. Smile

I couldn’t find any training schedule that advocates doubling the mileage of your long run in successive weekends so I had to write my own. Exactly 9 miles this morning of plodding along the seafront. The wind hadn’t quite decided from which direction it should be hitting me but it seemed that every direction was slightly against.

It took a while to warm up and the third mile was the worst. A time when I questioned my desire to carry on, even contemplating merely taking the trip to Spain to be mascot for the rest of Team RC (arsey??). I know ‘they’ say that the first 20 minutes of any run is the worst, but believe me when I say that I am well over the 20 minute mark by the time I enter my third mile, and it took a further full mile before I started to feel good.

But it did get easier, and apart from dodging the stones that had been washed over the path by the recent high tides, I busied myself by watching the lifeboat on training manoeuvres. It was coming perilously close to the shore in what looked like extremely shallow waters, probably just trying out the new depth sounder it got for Christmas!

There were quite a few runners out this morning, and at last I think I’m perfecting the traditional runner greeting of a raised palm and a grunt as we pass, both trying not to look too knackered.

Considering I’d not run this far since early November, this morning was quite a pleasurable experience. I even caught myself grinning inanely at nothing in particular in the car on the way home. Big Grin
09-01-2005, 12:24 PM,
Onwards and...
Nice one SP, looks like you're getting up to speed very nicely in time for Almeira. I too have that enviable tingle, although I confess it is strongest in my nipples as once again I forgot to apply the Vasaline this morning . . . ouch! I'm seriously considering surgery to remove them; I mean, what earthly use are nipples on men? Answers on a postcard please . . .

I'd like to add to your observations on the joggers' greeting. If the oncoming plodder is in any way mildly attractive I find that as the greeting arm raises, the back straightens and the stomach muscles, however inert up to this point, engage. As the jogger passes the process, rather than reversing evenly, instantly collapses and one's traditional hunched, rounded posture resumes.

Look forward to seeing you in Brighton next Sunday then old boy - we're scheduled for a 12 miler, including the Snake. We love the Snake, the Snake is our friend . . . (repeat)

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-01-2005, 09:32 PM,
Onwards and...
Well done SP. I also managed 9.5 miles on Friday, the longest I've done for a few months. The plan is 10 next weekend, then 13 the week after. That should set me up for Almeria the week after that. Yes, that glowing feeling is well worth the hassle, isn't it? I'm feeling it right now, after a brisk 3.5 miles round the block.

When it comes to greeting, I've become a hand-raiser too. I used to be a smiler and a cheery greeter, but that makes it more embarrassing if you're ignored. So now I raise my hand in a Fred Dineage "How" sort of gesture. This seems to make it harder for them to pretend I don't exist. That said, they're usually pretty human round here.

Though you've just made me realise that I never knowingly see the same runner out twice.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-01-2005, 01:46 PM,
Onwards and...
Ah, remarkably similar to the gesture made by Andy Roberts to the batsman any time he stuffed his run-up, resulting in a dead ball.

Rodney Hogg used to do something similar when he accidentally delivered a bean ball at the batsman's head, although whether this was a deliberate ploy to evade accusations of deliberately tryin g to kill the batsman I'm not altogether sure.

I must say I do love all this talk about the greatest game ever invented. Smile Ed... SP
Run. Just run.
10-01-2005, 01:57 PM,
Onwards and...
The mentioning of cricket in this forum is likely to result in your posts being edited. Big Grin
10-01-2005, 02:01 PM,
Onwards and...
Spoilsport.

Ah well, as a peace offering I'll mention that I also adopt the "raise the hand and try not to look too knackered" look when passing other runners...

Sounds rather dull though doesn't it?
Run. Just run.
10-01-2005, 02:40 PM,
Onwards and...
Have you tried the 'lift your palm and wave, extending the arm from your body out to one side' method. I'm trying to think of an example to better describe the action - hang on . . .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

12-01-2005, 08:56 AM,
Onwards and...
Out for a 4 miler last night in the gale. It wasn't really raining but the spray off the sea made it feel like it was.

2 miles leaning to the left running westbound, 2 miles leaning to the right eastbound. Finished in 43.31 minutes - which was nice, considering I'm going to treat it as a 6 mile run because of the winds. Big Grin
12-01-2005, 05:31 PM,
Onwards and...
One of the great advantages of running back and forth in high winds . . . you don't end up with hair like Douglas Herd.

12-01-2005, 07:52 PM,
Onwards and...
I saw Douglas Hurd at Paddington Station last year, leaning against a wall, waiting for his train like the rest of us. He was reading a copy of Private Eye, and chuckling gleefully.

It raised my spirits.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
12-01-2005, 07:59 PM,
Onwards and...
No that was me Andy, I'd just been out for a run.

One way.Big Grin
12-01-2005, 09:36 PM,
Onwards and...
o.k if I join in ? - Sweeder like your depictions of novelty running greeting - but couldn't this be seen as a hostile gesture - in a kind of karate chop stylie - good for knocking out any speedy looking oposition though - i guess.

As for windy runs ( sounds nasty) - did anyone try running this Saturday morning just gone - went for a run on shoreham beach and had a real problem staying vertical - so much for meeting schedule time plans when the weatheris like that
12-01-2005, 10:25 PM,
Onwards and...
Hi PP. I was taking the mick out of Sp - he hates cricket, and my suggestion was to give the Umpire's signal for 4 runs (hence the images) - but I see what you're saying about karate.

Are you a Shorehamite? Fancy joining the Brighton plodders on Sunday mornings? We meet above Brighton Marina (on the roadside overlooking Asda) at 09:00. Various lengths of run from 7 miles up to 12 this coming weekend.

13-01-2005, 01:44 PM,
Onwards and...
Sweder- unfortunatley don't know much about cricket - so guess that bit went right over my head.
As for Brighton Sunday runs - i've heard that they are good -but as i don't drive ( real pain) it's a bit difficult unless one if my running buddies is going - I'll have to see if I convince someone - supposed to do a 11 miler this Sunday so 12 miles is near enough - what time do you all meet up ?
13-01-2005, 02:15 PM,
Onwards and...
Thankfully you don't need to know a great deal about cricket, other than the fact that it is the dullest game ever invented!

Coincidence, I grew up in Shoreham, do you know the curry house at the Eastern Avenue end of Middle Road? Well that used to be Archway Stores (grocer/newsagent) and my mum and dad ran it for years! Sadly I moved away from the town before my running career started.

The Brighton runners meet at 9am. I was going to go along this w/e to do 10 or 11 miles but have a tennis match so can't get along. (Now there's a proper game!!)Smile

Cheers,

SP
13-01-2005, 02:40 PM,
Onwards and...
PP, as SP's playing with his balls on Sunday I'd be happy to pick you up if that's OK with you. Send me a PM or e-mail with your 'phone number and we'll sort out details. I'd need to collect you around 08:40 on Sunday. Hope you can make it - it's a good crowd Smile

15-01-2005, 05:18 PM,
Onwards and...
Sweder ,
Unfortunatley have fallen behind in my mara training schedule - ( rotten chest cold - so I haven't run all week until today ) so need to do a bit of a longer one tomorrow - will probably do 16 miler or so
thanks for the offer of a lift though very kind of you - esp. as you're all the way over in lewis - bit of a detour for you - hopefully next sunday i'll be back on track with schedule - and will be able to make it along .

cheers again, and have a good one tomorrow !
15-01-2005, 05:37 PM,
Onwards and...
No worries. Although we're only doing 12 it's a tough 12 - mostly off road and up some cracking hills, including this weekend The Snake, a 2 mile climb that comes out near Brighton Race Course.

Have a good one yourself, and hope you can make it another time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Onwards to Brighton Seafront Plodder 39 24,422 25-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man