Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onwards to Brighton
25-10-2009, 10:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-10-2009, 10:09 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
Onwards to Brighton
Not a yard of running to be seen at chez SP Sad since showing EG a clean pair of heels at the Crawley 10K last Sunday.

Played tennis twice though. Today I accepted the challenge thrown down by SP Junior, and in true Competitive Dad style I saw him off. Damn sure it won't be long though before youthful exuberance exceeds old fart guile, so I need to take these wins for as long as I can.Violin

Plan to get out tomorow though, honest.
26-10-2009, 12:09 AM,
RE: Onwards to Brighton
(25-10-2009, 10:08 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: Today I accepted the challenge thrown down by SP Junior, and in true Competitive Dad style I saw him off. Damn sure it won't be long though before youthful exuberance exceeds old fart guile, so I need to take these wins for as long as I can.Violin

That's the spirit! I too kept up the challenges, but once they could bowl faster than me/ kick the football further than me/ beat me at chess and Monopoly/ fix their own damn carburettors, I took to retreating to my grandad chair saying "not now son, I need a snooze".

Crush them while you can - it's your privilege as a Dad. Boxing
Run. Just run.
26-10-2009, 02:17 PM,
Battering the Offspring
Nothing to feel bad about. On our recent trip to Singapore Jake took me on on the local pool table. In fairness he went a few frames ahead, but as soon as I entered the Swedezone - after about 4 pints - I cleaned up. We continued the poolfest over several nights until on the last evening I took a 4-0 lead. The poor lad couldn't pot a shrub by then so we called it quits before our hitherto excellent working relationship went up in the flames of animosity and charmless swagger.

Get in there!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

26-10-2009, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-10-2009, 09:45 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
This evening I did something I'd not done in a while. No not that. Blush

Tonight I ran for distance. Of late I've concentrated on time on me feet, but as this was the first outing since the Crawley 10K and I needed to keep things ticking over leading up to Brighton on 15 Nov, I parked up at my trusty Seafront and plodded up and down for 6 miles. No walk breaks, continued plodding with an eyeballs-out, spit-flailing last mile..

As luck would have it, Lycra Tony, oft mentioned running guru has recently started his own garden tidying/clearance business, and I had him round earlier this week to clear my much neglected front and back, :hugeblush: I thought it rude therefore, to miss the opportunity to drop into the conversation that I'm running this Brighton 10K, hopeful for any snippets. Well I was paying the man.

Bit of background for those unfamiliar. Lycra Tony is a damn good runner and qualified marathon coach - not sure what that means... He was an outrider for the whippets at last year's Brighton 10K, and has completed the London to Brighton run. (Training for which involves a 20 mile run on Saturday, followed by a 35 mile run on Sunday Shocked ) He also has a 10K best somewhere in the region of 37 minutes, so knows a thing or two.

Anyway, Lycra T sorta endorses my method of running for time, which somewhat surprised me. He is also a big fan of fartlek, which at the moment is taking things just that bit too far but I promised him I'd consider it... Rolleyes

Tonight was a glorious moonlit night to be out. Bass fishermen abound and a plethora of faster runners passed and Shearered.

Yes, a good evening's work, and I feel good about that. Time unimportant, but in all honesty I'm surprised how slow it was. 62 minutes, but I'm netting that down to under the hour Dodgy as I had to make 6 turns, had no lycra-clad arses to follow, and did slow to fumble in my shorts for the car key fob at mile 2 to dump the jacket.
26-10-2009, 10:48 PM,
Good effort, SP. 62 minutes for a 6 mile training run is more than respectable for mortal beings like us. I'm always happy when my pace gets down to that sort of level -- between 10 and 10.30 a mile. Sadly I'm a way off it at present so you're twisting the knife here a bit. If you're doing that in training, you should be looking to get in well below the hour at Brighton. I won't be, though I'm still hoping to show significant progress since Crawley. We'll see what happens on the day.

BTW, how far would your 10K-coaching gardener be willing to travel to trim a hedge...? Blush
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
27-10-2009, 12:18 PM,
(26-10-2009, 10:48 PM)El Gordo Wrote: Good effort, SP. 62 minutes for a 6 mile training run is more than respectable for mortal beings like us.

Now that you mention it EG, 62 minutes is indeed a great time for a training 10k. Keep that up Mr.Splodder and you'll be knocking back 50 minutes for a 10k race in no time. A fine return to form, sir!
Run. Just run.
03-11-2009, 05:36 PM,
Finally made it out the door for my belated long weekender, and a crap run it was too. Angry

I'd parked right at one end of the Seafront, with a view to running to Newhaven harbour and back. What I hadn't banked on was the (according to BBC weather) 26 mph wind right in my face.

I puffed along the first mile and a half in 22 minutes before I had to stop for a breather. Shocked Back ached, breathing was all over the place and it was getting dark fast.

The latter half of my (planned) outward run was to be along a disused railway track. Much has been said here recently about the dangers of running in the dark, and, not wanting to be the first casualty, I turned back.

I returned to the car in 36 minutes, which makes the wind-in-me-back run of equal distance in 14 or so minutes, (9 minute miling) - just goes to show how strong the wind was. That part felt good too so it's not all bad news, but I'll chalk this one up as a midweek shortie, and vow to do better next time.

With only next weekend to rattle off a long one before EG & I meet for round #2 in Brighton, I cannot afford another wasted weekend.
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM,
(03-11-2009, 05:36 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: With only next weekend to rattle off a long one before EG & I meet for round #2 in Brighton, I cannot afford another wasted weekend.

Don't be silly -- of course you can Big Grin
El Gordo

03-11-2009, 05:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM by Sweder.)
Why not team up with me & Lycra for a breezy cliff-top toddle next Sunday? Ideal - 12k distance, VERY gentle outward plod, lots of lycra-clad lovelies, return leg at your own pace.
Gowan, yawill yawill yawill ....

Alternatively I'm plodding up to the Cap tomorrow at around 8-ish ...

03-11-2009, 10:30 PM,
Mmmmm....lycra-clad lovelies you say?

I assume you don't just mean Tony??Big Grin
04-11-2009, 09:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2009, 09:18 AM by Sweder.)
Definitely not, though he is getting back into shape these days ...
I take it as its now past 09:00 you've not been tempted to trip the light fantastic up to BlackCap with me this morning.
Shame: it's a cracking day. See you on Sunday then Wink

04-11-2009, 09:52 AM,
You know Sweed I think I'll take up your offer on Sunday. Eek

12K should be do-able if I'm chasing lycra, and I do need a longee under my vast belt after last night's shocker.
07-11-2009, 11:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-11-2009, 11:15 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
In homage to others of this parish, I went out this morning at 9am for my very own Group 5K Park Run.

Ok so it wasn't 5K, it wasn't in a park and I wasn't in a group, but otherwise it was identical - I ran.

Half an hour along the glorious Worth Way. With the sun squinting through the trees and soft leaves underfoot It was a cracker of a run. I needed this to expunge the remains of whiskey, smoke, cordite and general crap that has consumed me on Thursday night at the wonderful Lewes Bonfire celebrations.

A good morning's work, with a longee scheduled for tomorrow
08-11-2009, 11:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2009, 11:11 AM by Seafront Plodder.)
No I'm not in the pic EG. I have sinned.

My duvet was also toasty warm, and a snuggly 'special friend' with the promise of kedgeree and coffee won. Truth is I'm not feeling terribly ping today, and that's down to yesterday.

A successful 5K certainly, but I've never run on consecutive days. I also faffed about on the tennis court yesterday afternoon, and last night I yomped about 3 miles along unlit country lanes in search of the local bonfire celebrations, the evening culminated in a massive bowl of chilli that would have stripped varnish, oh and beer.

No I'm sorry Sweder my friend, I did say that I'd more than likely be there, and I don't like letting people down, but with the sort of yesterday I'd had I really wasn't ready for the longest run in 5 years.

Oh and I've got 2 hours of sweaty indoor tennis tonight.

Long run tomorrow. I've made that promise to myself.
08-11-2009, 11:59 AM,
Oh well, I was suddenly taken drunk myself last night.

A flagellatory trip to the gym is on the cards.
El Gordo

11-11-2009, 08:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2009, 09:06 PM by Seafront Plodder.)
So In my salad days (when I was green in judgement), on the back of phase #1, (the Crawley 10K) I would have banged on about crushing EG in three days time at the Brighton ditto. (Don't forget there's 20 quid to JDRF riding on this...Big Grin )

But that was probably then. Now, whatever will be, will be. But I am happy with the 6 miler in 62 minutes I managed again tonight (same ole, same ole) with a howling easterly in full flow. That was last weekend's long run, postponed due to time I had to spend with my mum.

3 full days to recover and dreadful weather predicted, but now my body is a temple until Sunday afternoon Crazy.....apart from two hours of sweaty tennis tommorrow and a night on the tiles planned for Friday that is....
11-11-2009, 10:38 PM,
6 in 62 is OK - and a bit faster than me yesterday. I'm hoping to get out for 6-ish tomorrow, and then it's feet-up time.
El Gordo

11-11-2009, 10:49 PM,
Are you two trying to psyche each other out with this being nice to each other business?

Come on guys, whatever happened to out-and-out, hard-hitting, body-jarring male competitiveness?

Brick
Run. Just run.
12-11-2009, 12:16 AM,
(11-11-2009, 10:49 PM)Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote: Are you two trying to psyche each other out with this being nice to each other business?

Come on guys, whatever happened to out-and-out, hard-hitting, body-jarring male competitiveness?

Brick

I tried that technique last time, and it didn't work, so now I'm trying reverse psychology, which I think is doing the trick. I sense he's getting uneasy.

Bounce
El Gordo

12-11-2009, 03:34 PM,
A quirk in the tour schedule means there's an outside chance I might yet get to see the lung-bursting finale to this epic contest. What fun ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London to Brighton Cycle Ride - Training Diary Seafront Plodder 4 1,505 06-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Brooks Brighton 10K - (un) Official Photographs Seafront Plodder 8 6,201 20-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Brighton 10K El Gordo 6 4,522 30-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Onwards and... Seafront Plodder 17 6,857 15-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Last Post: Sweder