Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad runs...
14-01-2005, 07:52 PM,
Bad runs...
Funnily enough, Sweder and I were talking just the other day about the fact we both (as others also do), think about what to write in this blog whilst we are out running. The post-run, endorphin fuelled runner’s high we all experience is usually enough to get us to write some garbage or other even though it’s not what we thought about whilst running because of course, that’s all forgotten.

It got us onto the subject of what we would write after a bad run. Well here it is………...

Mrs SP’s car has had a slow puncture for a while now. Every fortnight or so I’d be out in the drive with the £16.99 Halfords special plug-it-in-the-cigar-lighter electric pump, topping up a flattish tyre. Quite why she can’t do this arsing job herself is another matter! A while ago we were given a spare wheel (complete with new tyre) by a friendly mechanic. The wheel’s off a different car but the tyre’s the right size.

Bear with me……….Big Grin

This afternoon I had the superb idea of driving her car over to Quikfit, leaving it there for them to mend slow puncture/swap tyre over whatever…. And instead of having to hang around, fit in a 5 mile run!

All went to plan on the car front, but the run was crap! Along a main road and uphill into the wind wasn’t the best way to begin and it really just got worse from there. I could never get going, the breathing didn’t settle down and frankly I just wanted to stop. To cap it all (ha ha Sad) my right knee started to ache. I turned back early, and stopped back outside Quikfit with jobbie stopping at 4.21 miles.

Perhaps a reasonable distance, but a bad run because it felt like a bad run. But here’s the fun part…

She’d borrowed my car while I had hers. And whilst I was getting it mended, she managed to (in typical female style {err…probably}), clip a passing wall and take off the near-side wing mirror!! Well there’s gratitude for you. My new car, so new it hasn’t even had its first service, is now sitting in the drive looking all forlorn.

Bad run, bad car day. Bollocks, and goodnight!
14-01-2005, 10:34 PM,
Bad runs...
I think we jinxed ourselves Dude.
I had a rotten run this evening, and funnily enough it involved running alongside a busy main road . . . perhaps this was the problem. Personally I've been spoilt with some humdingers lately, sunwashed journeys into Gods own countryside with only the birds and my dogs for company. I was asking for it running up and down the A27, and by George I got it. When I can summon back my will to live I'll get posting in my own diary and stop hogging yours . . .

. . . sorry to hear about the car, too. Still, you gotta have days like these to appreciate the bowl of cherries on offer the rest of the time (or some such crap).

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-01-2005, 11:04 PM,
Bad runs...
See, if you had a better opinion of cricket, these things wouldn't have happened to you...
Run. Just run.
14-01-2005, 11:28 PM,
Bad runs...
Bad luck guys - it happens. I'm predicting a bad one at the weekend. I have to do a ten miler, and am not feeling very well prepared. Left my job this week, so have had some serious farewell drinking to achieve which has encouraged all sorts of unhealthy incidents. Crisps, chocolate, curries, all those evil Cs. And I missed my intended 5 miler yesterday, So anyway, I'm feeling somewhat well filled-out at present, as well as dehydrated and fatigued. Not ideal, so expect to read my own bad-run woes later this weekend.

The good thing is that we all know for certain that occasional bad runs are inevitable, so if you've just had one, it's likely that you won't have another one for a while. You're in a fortunate position therefore.... Big Grin

Always looking on the bright side, I remain,

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-01-2005, 02:50 AM,
Bad runs...
Cognac Chocolate Cake must be especially bad?
Run. Just run.
15-01-2005, 10:06 AM,
Bad runs...
I was sorry to see Our Timmy officially retiring from the GB Davis Cup team yesterday. I don't care much for the team - I never considered thrashing Papua New Guinea much of an accomplishment - but I am worried that our merry band of South Coast Strugglers will be one less in number before long.

For this new and unexpected vacancy, coupled with the dearth of young Tennis Talent in our nation, must surely mean a step into the breach by one SP? The announcement is a matter of public formality.

To retain some vestige of running relativity I'll mention my concerns for the Sunday slog as the rain tips down over Sussex this morning.

16-01-2005, 08:08 PM,
Bad runs...
Since I read that he doesn't count tennis as cross training! I played 4 bloomin' hours of it this morning.

Still, that does mean that my long run this week will now be tomorow. And after the last run, I'm hoping for a goody this time around; in fact I seem to recall that Andy's guaranteed it.

No pain no gain and all that..... Sad

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

17-01-2005, 09:52 PM,
Bad runs...
Does HH really dismiss tennis as x-training, or is it that he doesn't recommend it on the grounds that it's likely to result in injuries? I think that's why he doesn't encourage it.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
18-01-2005, 12:28 AM,
Bad runs...
I think you'll find Hal eschews the Racket racket in favour of the superior sport of cricket Smile Never mind X training - I lost half a stone screaming at my radio for England to take the last wicket this afternoon: what a test match!

Seriously, 5-a-side was ditched for this reason (injuries). Of course tennis is non-contact (in theory!) and so should be lower risk than football or hockey. I play badminton (sedate standard - that is, you have to take a performance inhibiting drug pre-match) but even so now and again someone will turn an ankle or trip over their zimmer, which would mean adios running for several weeks. But then you can do that getting out of bed (especially when you're as knackered as I am in the morning) so I guess it's a case of risk assessment and risk management.

Where's me clipboard?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good runs Seafront Plodder 9 3,494 25-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder