Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good runs
18-01-2005, 09:18 PM,
Good runs
My last weekend long run was always going to be today. What with the non-cross training (thanks Hal) of 4 hours of tennis on Sunday, my back was playing up a bit yesterday – all those kick serves ya see Big Grin – so I rested.

Today I had a fairly full day of meetings and err, well not much else really. But by driving at breakneck speed I managed to be home by about 4pm, just enough time to slip into the lycra and get at least half the run done in daylight. Or so I thought.

I only sat down on the bed to put my socks on, really I did - and, well the pillow looked sooo inviting that before I knew what was happening, it was almost dark outside. Oh well, I stumbled downstairs and grabbed my things, garmin, towel, phone, drink. Shut the front door and…..bugger! No keys.

So there I was, standing there in the drive, in shorts, in the biting wind. Sh1t! The neighbour who is most likely to have our spare key have gone on holiday!

I rang Miss SP the teenager (nuff said)…

Me: Hi it’s me, where are you?
Teen: I’m at Jess’s
Me: where’s that?
Teen: Oh my god dad, you’ve dropped me off there often enough!
Me: where is it?
Teen: It’s behind the Texaco garage, remember?
Me: (sensing I was wasting my time) Ok, see ya.

I then called Master P. But he’d had his BCG jab (remember that) today and had gone around a friends house to compare bruises. Lastly, (although I should have done this first), I called Mrs P and luckily she was just on her way home from a dog walk. So ok I got ridiculed for standing there in shorts looking like an arse, but at least I could get in to pick up the car keys and head away to my starting position.

In case you are wondering, I couldn’t just begin the run from home as it was all so meticulously planned and to alter things would have meant no drink for at least 6 miles. Long runs call for circuits of the town, so if I park the car at the opposite end, I get a drink every 3 miles or so .See?

With the wind west – east, I parked at the west end of the seafront to give myself the first mile and a half with the wind to warm up and get going. One town circuit is bang in 10k (6.25 miles) and I didn’t fancy doing two, so the route involved a lot of doubling back and veering up previously unchartered roads.

Mile 8 and I started to regret my decision to take the easy start, as it was against the wind……and uphill! Mile 9 and I caught my reflection in Caffyns window. Sad

Somehow I knew I was going to manage this run without walk breaks, despite the strong winds. I made a pact with myself to run 11 miles; and that’s exactly what I did.

I’m pleased.

And for the benefit of Sweder, who knows the route around my town but probably doesn’t know the sort of information available from a GPS jobbie…………….

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

18-01-2005, 11:05 PM,
Good runs
Now, it may be the euphoric buzz I'm enjoying having limped back into the warm safety of my office-at-home, but isn't the image above really that of a person reclining? You SURE you didn't just lay back on that bed and dream your run SP? Smile

Nice one old boy - 11 miles solo is good work. Hopefully you can make it Sunday for the 12.4 miler, my last long(ish) run before Almeira Big Grin If you're interested I'm going up to Black Cap early doors on Thursday - you are cordially invited, as is your Garmin . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-01-2005, 08:11 AM,
Good runs
Going down the park and running around a certain pattern to make *ahem* shapes, you mean?

Now that does appeal to my warped mind....Big Grin I may have to give it further thought.
19-01-2005, 02:52 PM,
Good runs
nice garmin trip, never thought of planning the route for graphical representations, I limited my 10 miles last Saturday to running around my block (3 and a bit x) because the week before when I had done a new route with my husband in tow for the nine miler I got taken Very Short (no, it wasn't a matter of a quick pit stop behind a bush) I was forced to find a pub and buy a drink so that I could make quite extensive use their "facilities"....fortunatley I had a couple of quid with me, but I got very quizzical looks from the barman!! So this week I made sure I was never too far from home ;-)

The Garmin only produced a wiggly circle - shame...incidentally, my Garmin doesn't want to download my recent runs into tracklogs, it re-loads old runs, but won't load the last 4 or 5 - any ideas?? Anybody got a 301 yet? I don't train with a heart monitor at all so it would be wasted on me, interesting piece of kit 'though.
Phew this is hard work !
22-01-2005, 09:49 PM,
Good runs
downloading everything from the jobbie....

and then deleting the history? surely then it would only download your last run?
24-01-2005, 08:58 PM,
Good runs
Out tonight for another belated weekend long run. Much of it run in the dark and straight up and down the seafront. If I were to post the garmin graph it would just be one boring straight line.

But the run wasn't that boring. Ok so the first couple of miles were hard, they invariably are, but once I fell into a rhythm, it became a fairly steady, and gave me some thinking time, as these types of run usually do.

I got caught up with a couple of guys doing interval work. They sprinted past me, slowed to a jog a couple of hundred yards ahead, then stopped for a breather. A few minutes later I plod past. It happened 4 times in all, but I stopped raising my palm with a grunt after the second. Didn't want to put 'em off.Eek

I wanted to do 12 tonight, but at 11 my calfs started tightening up. I stopped for a stretch, wondering whether I should hobble on, but turned back to the car and finished on 11.2 miles.

And that was when I discovered the reason for the tight muscles! It was much colder than I thought as after only 2 hours on the seafront there was a thick layer of ice covering the windscreen. Let's just hope it's slightly warmer in Almeria eh?

I've just amended the heading because I've just read this back to myself and it's tediously dull. Ho hum.
24-01-2005, 10:35 PM,
Good runs
To make it less boring you can always throw in a few comments about the cricket Big Grin
Run. Just run.
24-01-2005, 11:39 PM,
Good runs
11 miles on a night like tonight is damn good, SP. Today was supposed to be a rest day for me but I couldn't bear not to venture out on such a nasty evening. Coldest of the season by some way. Just 3.5 miles to stretch my legs though.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-01-2005, 11:50 PM,
Good runs
Andy's right . . . not a great night for a long run, but you're getting those miles in. I bottled it (despite the socks) - body put in a written transfer request so I paid attention and stayed in the warm. Looks like tomorrow will be equally frosty so I'll get mine at the track.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-01-2005, 09:14 AM,
Good runs
Thanks for the comments guys. Smile

Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:To make it less boring you can always throw in a few comments about the cricket Big Grin
Mister MLC, my post is boring enough. Were I to mention that game, the combination would probably leave me responsible for several suicides! Eek

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad runs... Seafront Plodder 8 3,419 18-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Sweder