Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legs: to cover or not to cover
24-01-2005, 09:41 AM,
I'm interested in legs.
That is, what people prefer to wear on them (or not) when running.
I know conditions play a part. For example, the weather is pretty cool (downright freezing today) and I would not consider running in anything but leggings.

Last year, as the weather improved around late Feb/ early March I switched to wearing shorts for my long runs - and I didn't like it. It's probably purely psychological, but the feeling I got was my legs, especially my calves, were ‘held together’ by my leggings. I certainly felt more discomfort barelegged.

I see that some top runners (including Paula Radcliffe) favour knee-length socks. Paula claims this helps increase blood flow in that area and reduces calf pain, and it seems to me my leggings may have the same effect.

I’d welcome any views on this, and any experiences that may support this view.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-01-2005, 10:12 AM,
who has had to chase your arse up numerous hills and inclines over the last couple of years, may I say how glad I am that you don't wear shorts very often!

I do not possess any long leggings, but rarely if ever do my legs get cold. On long runs though (10+ miles) I do suffer from tight calfs, so I'm interested in the theory that leggings might in some way "hold the legs together".
24-01-2005, 10:35 AM,
It's shorts all year round here. If it were that cold that I had to consider covering up, then I'd be off to find myself a nice warm gym with a decent treadmill and a liquor license.
Run. Just run.
24-01-2005, 10:42 AM,
I lost my will to live on a treadmill in New Delhi and vowed never to climb aboard another. I accept it depends on the view, but there's something unpleasantly hamsterish about running on the spot for any length of time.

24-01-2005, 10:45 AM,
There's some method in this calf-wrap madness SP. I would suggest you try the knee-length sock method, but please do it when I'm not around as I'd find it hard to run whilst doubled up in hysterics.

The question pops up at this particular time as we face our first warm run of the year this weekend. Happily for you I intend to run in shorts Wink

24-01-2005, 02:37 PM,
I usually run with shorts but I bought leggings a few weeks ago. I wear them if I go out for a run very early in the morning. I must admit they are quite comfortable. I´ve also tried lately wearing a sweatshirt in winter and I find it good. Anyway, at races I prefer wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

24-01-2005, 04:52 PM,
Just bought a pair of X-Socks (Ankle-high running socks).
The packaging virtually guarantees your best run ever - just put the socks in your shoes, sit back and let them run the race for you. Excellent!

They have some pretty fancy ankle support built-in, and I'm going to test drive them tonight on my recovery run. I'll post a review here tomorrow.

To view their products take a look at http://www.x-socks.com

24-01-2005, 09:07 PM,
A bit of over zealous marketing is my opinion.

Jog Shop Sam once told me that some people can run a marathon in 99p M&S specials, yet get blisters in a 12 quid pair!

And another thing. Does anyone else think the phrase "sock technology" is just a bit oxymoronic?
24-01-2005, 10:51 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:A bit of over zealous marketing is my opinion.
And another thing. Does anyone else think the phrase "sock technology" is just a bit oxymoronic?

Indeed. As with anything marketable, it gets over-done for sure. But the difference between bog-standard department store socks and your basic properly-made cushioned sports sock is fairly significant. Having said that, I rarely wear them because my kids steal them and I'm left to run in my normal thick winter socks, and to to be honest, I have never had a problem with them. But then, I'm not running marathons either (yet).

I remember our leader Andy going into raptures over Thurlo socks though. Maybe he can shed some light on the subject?

BTW, on the advice of my jog-shop guru, I always buy shoes that are a half-size or even a full size too big, and run in thick socks (sometimes two pairs) to eliminate blisters and other, unspecified foot problems. So far it's worked a treat Smile
Run. Just run.
24-01-2005, 10:59 PM,
Sweder Wrote:To view their products take a look at http://www.x-socks.com

It's almost a parody Sweder. Are these people serious?!
Run. Just run.
24-01-2005, 11:14 PM,
I found this quote particularly amusing...Big Grin

Jamie Stevenson from Great Britain took part in the World Orienteering Championships 2003 - and he beats 'em all! In sprint he won gold, thanks to his X-Socks®!
24-01-2005, 11:40 PM,
I can see your eyes glazing over as you totter towards your nearest X-Socks dealers . . . Big Grin

In fairness MLCM I do believe socks are important.
I've always taken advice (yes, from the Jog Shop people) on shoes and socks for running. I wear the fox brand socks - they have the basic cushioned areas without the luminouse cross-bracing Smile - and I have never had a blister from running. OK, I only started 2 years ago and I've taken part in 3 half and 2 full Marathons, but even so I do a lot of off road stuff and I never get damage to my feet.

I confess, I did not venture out this evening.
I was too knackered, and my PC is poorly sick. I bought it System Mechanic 5 and am in the process of a major shake-down of 4 years worth of mouldy files and long-forgotten gremlins. However, I can tell you that my X-Socks have been excellent for this purpose. Despite a nasty draft in my office and constant opening and closing of our front door this evening my feet remain cozy. And no blisters! It's hard to say if the socks have provided a positive influence on the computer repairs, but I'm certain they have.

I'll take them to the track tomorrow and, if my fellow runners don't laugh me off the premises, will compare them with my usual fox sox. Back to the PC Doc stuff . . .

24-01-2005, 11:55 PM,
I recently saw an outdoor jacket described as a "Second Generation Extended Cold Weather Clothing System (2G ECWCS)", which I thought was pretty embarrassing.

Thorlos are splendid. At least, the packaging says they're great, and I believe them. Padded, chunky and satisfying expensive at about a fiver per sock, they are indeed my sock of choice. I bought 3 or 4 pairs nearly 3 years ago, and they're still going strong. Mind you, I wear them only on longer runs, when I need to give myself a treat. Sub 5 or 6 miles and I'm happy with the "4 pairs for £2" bargain bin stuff. I've never tested the theory but I imagine they might produce a few blisters on longer runs.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-01-2005, 11:57 PM,
Commiserations on the PC probs, Sweder. I'm similarly handicapped at present. My normal laptop gave up the ghost a week ago. Won't boot up at all. Needs major surgery. Partly explains the lack of action in the logs recently.
El Gordo

25-01-2005, 09:53 AM,
I hold similar views on the long run sock situation.
I keep two pairs of Fox Sox for my Sunday Slogs - they come up slightly higher on the leg and are presentable - clean and white. I use my collection of dull grey, many-times-washed foxes for mid-week stuff. I will road test the X-Socks (also a fiver per sock) at the track tonight and may bring them to Almeira.

The PC thing is a worry.
This System tool gadget has been running all night and shows no sign of stopping. I'm doing the same with a couple of pcs and a laptop in my office. They started yesterday morning - I've come in today and they're still ongoing. I'm starting to feel like an inept 21st century plate-spinner, getting close to that point when you let go and hold your hands over your face, waiting for the sound of smashing porcelain . . .

25-01-2005, 10:13 AM,
Surely you must have a teckie you can talk to/call out? If you don't, I have.

But as for the 'puter problem, no idea.
25-01-2005, 10:52 AM,
There's not a techie in the world who'd want to get near my feet Smile

The PCs are no problem for me, I own a number of seriously large hammers . . .

25-01-2005, 11:27 AM,
Impact technology and percussive maintenance are professional specialities around here.

A couple of suitably macho geological hammers for the purpose are available on loan any time you need them, Sweder.
25-01-2005, 01:08 PM,
"Percussive maintenance" - I like that. Another good phrase I came across recently is "nominative determinism" - the belief that one's name helps shape one's destiny.
El Gordo

25-01-2005, 01:39 PM,
I'll never be saracastic about socks again - I've developed a shin splint, doubtless because I've been running in inferior socks.

Mumble mumble groan moan.

At least I can do the rest, ice and elevation treatment in front of the tennis and cricket on television tomorrow. Yea.

And thank goodness for my self-help book on running injuries...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.