Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ides of March.
28-03-2005, 09:50 AM,
Ides of March.
Oops….just read what I last wrote and it should have been Saturday 19th. And I should have written “Merillion were crap” as well but I liked the bit about the cherry blossom and it’s stayed in my head after all these years, so….
Anyway, back to the plot. Last week’s running went something like this,

Easter Thursday.
Being a public holiday there were loads of people about this morning along the riverside trails. There were a few other runners, people walking dogs and even a solitary basket-weaver selecting materials from amongst the reeds and laying out strips to dry in the sun. Warm, pleasant and lots of butterflies, whites and yellows….
TRT 44 minutes, river circuit plus extra bit up past the castle.

Saturday morning run in the rain.
It’s damp and it’s drizzly and as the land is already somewhat parched for the time of year they’ll be dancing in their allotments this morning. Took the road to Toral de Merayo and then followed the muddy track behind Monte Pajariel now fringed with primroses. This eventually crosses the road to Valdecañada , my next destination, a long thin village hemmed into a steep valley. Came along here last December when it was pig-killing time. A huge specimen had been strapped to a wooden table and they were cleaning innards in a nearby stream. It’s a pretty gruesome sight if you’re not used to it (and it probably is if you are used to it as well). It’s all quiet this morning though except for the rain and the occasional mangy dog barking at me. The road peters out into another muddy track at the end of the village and this rises up and over to the next valley. From the highest point of the track the village of Ozuela becomes visible. Clinging to the hillside, the houses seem to be stacked up on top of each other. It’s one of my favourite villages in the area, being easily accessible from Ponferrada and yet with a compelling sense of remoteness. Before reaching Ozuela I must drop down to a stream and then tackle a hill with gradients to make your eyeballs pop. I managed to get to the top without walking although on reflection walking might have been quicker. Then along the main street with its stone and adobe houses, coarse slate roofs and ramshackle wooden balconies, finally passing the last and highest placed building in the village, the old schoolhouse. It’s abandoned, like many other village schoolhouses in the area. No children I suppose.
At 700 metres or so this is also the highest point of my route and is followed by a bone-shuddering descent to the 500m of Toral de Merayo. Back home along the road which has become the graveyard for dozens of intrepid toads, coaxed out by the humidity and promptly squashed by the cars.
TRT 1 hour 31 minutes (70% country roads 30% muddy tracks).

Sunday morning.
Breezy and overcast although the sun briefly peeped out from behind a cloud before deciding to disappear again. Tired legs after yesterday’s longish run but kept going reasonably well. A sprinkling of fresh snow on the mountain tops.
TRT 38 minutes (river circuit).

Total for week 7 (wow! This is getting serious) runs 3 (approx. 35kms).
29-03-2005, 04:32 PM,
Ides of March.
A short fast one around the canal circuit. Windy. Ran past an old fellow with his 8 sheep (I counted them). Thought this would be an opportune moment to initiate myself in the ritual of the “Sheep-Shearer wave”(ha ha baa). Arm slightly raised followed by swift cutting movements with the fingers. The sheep winced. The old fellow just looked puzzled.
TRT 29 minutes.
31-03-2005, 02:47 PM,
Ides of March.
Did the circuit that includes a section of St James’ Way (last ran along here in February) and this time the pilgrims outnumbered the storks. Saw 5 walkers struggling along with their heavy rucksacks and walking poles. The St James’ Way is Spain’s top long distance footpath and it extends some 500 miles from Roncesvalles on the French border to the cathedral of Santiago where the remains of St James are supposed to lie. From April onwards the Bierzo section of “el camino” is a procession of modern day “pilgrims” walking, on mountain bikes or even on horseback. Funny enough the first time I passed through Ponferrada was in 1993 when I did the St James’ Way on my trusty old racing bike from San Sebastian, but that’s another story.

Nothing much to report from the run except that I crossed with a bloke called Jacinto who was Spanish 100km champion in the 90s. As I’ve mentioned before there aren’t many fun runners around here and there isn’t even a proper running club (it is all much more organized in neighbouring Galicia) but Bierzo does seem to produce more than its fair share of top-class ultra runners. Most of them are extremely self sufficient and unimaginably tough characters who work hard and run hard. Our local butcher is a lad called Miguel Martinez Basurco who decided to enter the famous London to Brighton ultra run last year. He finished third. I’m convinced that in the north of England Pedro the lumberjack and Carlos the copper would be top fell runners. Then there is ex-Spanish marathon record-holder Rodrigo Gavela and over 40s veteren boss-man Chus Alonso who are both from local villages. Bierzo seems to be an authentic laboratory for distance running. Something in the water perhaps?

Here’s something that happened to me in a half marathon back in the 90s that highlights the situation. It’s September, it’s the annual half programmed into the fiestas of Camponaraya and 30 or 40 runners set off to run 5 or 6 laps of the village, Jacinto, Basurco and Chus Alonso included. Half way through the first lap I realize that there’s an ambulance behind me flashing its lights. I’m last! Ran the rest of the distance convinced that I must be in seriously bad shape although I did manage to overtake a few people in the second half of the race. Anyway I was still well in the last third of the field on crossing the finish line. My time? 1hour 24minutes!

TRT today 67 minutes.
31-03-2005, 08:43 PM,
Ides of March.
It's because they don't play rugby in the Bierzo, or they didn't. It's all these miner type chappies. True though, there's a hell of a lot of good runners from around your way. Having open spaces to run, plus a couple of mountains helps aswell.
01-04-2005, 09:35 AM,
Ides of March.
Hi Brian,
So you're doing Toral again this year. Very much doubt if I'll be able to keep up with you this time!

There's another chap around here called Tino Pinilla. He's a miner (still is). He finished the Lanzarote ironman two or three times (I think that's a 3-mile swim in the sea, a whopping 180km cycle polished off with a marathon!....ouch!) I still find it pretty amazing that Tino combined the mammoth training sessions required for this type of competition with working down the pit. These are stories which in other places would make the newspapers.

Anyway, I'm tapering off 3 months early ...baby due soon and the running will have go backstage for a while. Cheers!