Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New URL Announcement
09-04-2005, 11:53 AM,
New URL Announcement
As mentioned ages ago, I'll be moving the site to a new URL, http://www.runningcommentary.net.

I've started to copy things over there, and it's actually operational now, though I still have a lot to do. At some point I'll create a divert from co.uk to .net, and stop updating .co.uk. But that hasn't happened yet. At the moment the forum is still at .co.uk, and in fact may well stay here, though of course it will be hyperlinked from .net, so users needn't even notice that.

I have several things to change and upload, so please do take advantage of the situation, and let me know about things you'd like added or changed.

There are some obvious things that I've not yet fixed, like front page links that don't work, but if you notice problems that you think I may have missed, do please mail me or post a message here.

Cheers

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
10-04-2005, 05:22 PM,
New URL Announcement
First impression, some nice changes.
Navigation is a lot easier, and the link to most recent post is a valuable shortcut.
The link back to the forum works well, too.
So far, so good Old Bean.

By the way, I'm sure you've noticed, but the 'Foot' logo still shows '.co.uk'.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-04-2005, 09:32 PM,
New URL Announcement
Thanks, Sweder.

Yes, you're right. I need to change that graphic.

Hang on in there - there's more to come.
El Gordo

10-04-2005, 09:37 PM,
New URL Announcement
I plan to add some pics to the website.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to go about this? At the simplest level, I could just have a massive page with loads of pictures on it. But I'd prefer to have a hierarchy of description, then thumbnail, then full-size picture. Anyone been through this pain before?

Griff old chap, where are you...?
El Gordo

12-04-2005, 09:44 AM,
New URL Announcement
Hi Andy
The good news is that the new homepage at RunningCommentary.net now loads onto my BlackBerry (this never worked before, when only the forum was accessible).

The bad news is that there's a problem, though. I can see all the text, and the images, as well as the embedded hyperlinks. But the drawdown menus, linking to the rest of the site, just don't show up at all, for some reason which I don't understand. On other websites this is not usually a problem.

This means that for now I can get to the homepage remotely, but essentially no further. Or at least only to those pages with a direct hyperlink from the text. Does this reflect the way the menus are configured ?
12-04-2005, 11:43 AM,
New URL Announcement
Hmm, that's interesting, thanks for letting me know, Nigel.

Well, the menus are built using a third party tool, but it uses just straightforward javascript from what I can see. I wonder if your Blackberry can be configured to turn javascript on and off (as it can in standard browsers)?

If it can't, I'll mail the people I got the menu app from, and see what they say. In fact, I'll do so anyway, and will let you know. There is another solution, which is to have some sort of site map or alternative means of navigation.

I'll look into it and let you know.

Cheers.
El Gordo

12-04-2005, 03:12 PM,
New URL Announcement
That'll be it. The BlackBerry doesn't do Java, as far as I can see. Most websites work, but several useful ones that run Java, like Hotmail, internet banking and the more sophisticated travel booking sites, are not accessible. Looks like you're in that group.

There's a newer version of the machine out this year, which maybe has that upgrade - I'll see if I can find out.
12-04-2005, 06:06 PM,
New URL Announcement
Nigel - Well, in fact Java isn't the same as Javascript, despite the name - though it's still quite possible that the Blackberry doesn't like the latter either. Anyway, I've mailed the people who make the menu software and see what they say. In the meantime, you've jogged my memory about the other things I'd been thinking about, so I'll get onto that. Either way, we should be able to sort something out.

Thanks for letting me know.
El Gordo

05-05-2005, 01:10 PM,
New URL Announcement
Andy;

I've been using this to generate galleries on my site:

http://ornj.net/software/webalbum/

This article may also be worth a read:

http://www.webreference.com/programming/css_gallery/

Luke.
05-05-2005, 06:10 PM,
New URL Announcement
andy Wrote:I plan to add some pics to the website.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to go about this? At the simplest level, I could just have a massive page with loads of pictures on it. But I'd prefer to have a hierarchy of description, then thumbnail, then full-size picture. Anyone been through this pain before?

Griff old chap, where are you...?

Here I am at last!! I have taken a bit of a sabbattical of late. Photo gallery solutions are many and varied. Being in the photo business, I have tried a few of them.

MS FrontPage has a tool but I didn't like it very much.

Adobe PhotoShop has a tool which I do like. You can tinker with the html to alter the template to your own look and feel.

Fotopic.net is my current fave. You sign up for a free account and they host your pics in galleries/collections. Again you can tinker a bit and create a web gallery that looks like your own site. There's a lot of server-side functionality which means that, once you've got your gallery looking RC stylee, you simply ftp/java upload/email your pix and, with a little more input, your gallery is done. They give you 250mb of space too. That's a lot of web-optimized photos.

Andy, if you come to my place for the Hogweed Trot, I'll show you how good it is using my account.
05-05-2005, 06:35 PM,
New URL Announcement
Wow, a veritable torrent of information at last...

Thanks Glaconman and Griff. I'll take a look at all these options and get something sorted.

Hope to make it down to the Hogweed 10K, Pete. Will be in touch nearer the time.
El Gordo