Connemarathon.... here I come
06-02-2009, 07:00 PM,
Foolishly, when I was young and lithe, I promised myself that I would run a marathon at 50 (having previously last run the London in '92). That time is now... I can do it, I will do it, but everything HURTS.
It will be something of a relief when I don't have to run for 2-3 hours at a go in training. Went out last sunday before the snow, weeping into the biting wind straight from the Urals. Decided to run from Devils Dyke to Chanctonbury Ring and back. Don't you just love it when you bump into the hard men from the local running club, who cheerily announce that they always run 21 miles on a sunday, and smoothly accelerate up the agonising slopes while you chuff painfully, lungs and legs burning. Aaargggghhhh! lost the plot on the return run up to the Youth Hostel at Trueleigh Hill. Running into that wind when tired completely did for me - walked up remaining hills and tottered down the inclines. Still, not going to beat myself up given the conditions. Made it back to the car - I think my next project will be to walk over hot coals - after all, I am getting used to the sensation.
Failure is not an option...xxk
06-02-2009, 07:25 PM,
Hi Katy, and welcome to the forum.
It doesn't get easier, huh? But you're right; no need to beat yourself up over a tough run.
You're getting out there (half the battle when the knees creak and the joints howl) and I'll wager you'll be on top of it before too long.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-02-2009, 10:24 PM,
Hi Katy,
Dont know if you know, but a few of us run from the marina 9am
on sunday ALL WEATHERS!!! YES WE ARE MAD TOO!!!!!:RFLMAO:
GillyBean
07-02-2009, 12:38 AM,
Hi Katy, welcome.

I'd dearly love to do the Connemarathon. I've thought about suggesting to the RC team that we should take a party over there one spring. My family are from Mayo, just to the north, but I drive through Connemara if I fly into Shannon -- and it's a superb place.

I've climbed up Croagh Patrick a couple of times, and I may well do so again this coming week, if I have time during my trip. At the top of CP, you have a staggering view over Connemara in one direction, and, if you turn to the other side of the summit, an extraordinary vista of Mayo, Achill, and the hundreds of tiny islands across Clew Bay. It's a sight to die for.

Maybe next year.

Maybe next year, I'll do it for me Ma. Good people of RC -- pencil it in. It's usually in late March.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-02-2009, 10:00 AM,
El Gordo Wrote:Maybe next year, I'll do it for me Ma. Good people of RC -- pencil it in. It's usually in late March.
Mate, that would be incredible.
Count me in. By the way, how are things in Connemara . . . ?
[SIZE="1"]Damn, now I have to worry about who sang that . . . doh![/SIZE]

Oh, I've just thought about the rehydration . . . Eek

07-02-2009, 11:10 AM,
I'm beginning to sense the faintest possibility of a plan, taking in the race, a hike up the mountain, and lashings of proper Guinness that never runs out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KH_GY2Kw...re=related
El Gordo

07-02-2009, 11:55 AM,
Is there . . . oh god I'm going to get some stick for this . . . is therea half? :o
After Almeria I'm evaluating the state of my legs and it's not looking good. I may have to knock road running on the head, or at least limit myself to halfs from now on.

Happily, the same does not apply to the Guinness Big Grin

07-02-2009, 12:07 PM,
There's a half, a marathon, and an ultra (39 miles).
El Gordo

07-02-2009, 12:22 PM,
Awwwww.........Ok I'm interested for 2010.

In the race I mean, not the Guinness.
07-02-2009, 01:05 PM,
Welcome to this friendly forum, Katy.

I´d love to do the Connemara marathon or half next year. I was in Ireland many years ago and I liked it a lot. I went on bicycle from Dublin to Limerick, the ring of Killarney, Cork and Dublin. I liked the people and the scenery, especially at the ring of Killarney. I´d like to see the west of Ireland.

EG, it is the first time someone quotes my words. "I ordered half a pint of Guinness but I was told there wasn´t any left. Apparently a group of English people had emptied the Guinness keg." Gracias. I don´t deserve to be at the same level as the knee doctor.Smile

Saludos desde Almería

07-02-2009, 01:56 PM,
anlu247 Wrote:Welcome to this friendly forum, Katy.

I´d love to do the Connemara marathon or half next year. I was in Ireland many years ago and I liked it a lot. I went on bicycle from Dublin to Limerick, the ring of Killarney, Cork and Dublin. I liked the people and the scenery, especially at the ring of Killarney. I´d like to see the west of Ireland.

EG, it is the first time someone quotes my words. "I ordered half a pint of Guinness but I was told there wasn´t any left. Apparently a group of English people had emptied the Guinness keg." Gracias. I don´t deserve to be at the same level as the knee doctor.Smile

Saludos desde Almería

It would be wonderful if you could come to the West of Ireland... Wink

No really, it would. Would you be able to get a few days off? This year it's March 22, so probably around the same in 2010. I'd have thought a similar format to Almeria -- travel out on the Saturday, race on Sunday, rehydration, perhaps climb Croagh Patrick on the Monday, rehydration, return on Tuesday. Would actually like to stay longer, and if I was going on my own I would, but will see how the idea develops. Maybe my liver would implode if the trip was any longer.

Main consideration is that the race is in a pretty out-of-the-way place and logistics would need a bit of thought. It's a long way from Dublin, so would be better to fly to Galway or Knock. May also need to move accommodation after the race.

But I won't get too far ahead. It may be just a pipedream at this stage. It's a race I've always wanted to do though, and am definitely up for it. Might even be able to drag Glaconman out of retirement, as well as some other forum luminaries.
El Gordo

07-02-2009, 02:32 PM,
Sad to say but ive never been to Ireland, so would love to be included.
Look what you've started Katy!!!Eek
You only have to mention a great run and were on to it :RFLMAO:
Hope you have a fantastic time.

GBSmile
07-02-2009, 02:49 PM,
You'd be welcome, of course. Ireland's a great place for a jaunt. I'm there on Wednesday for my ma's funeral, but will look forward to returning on a less sombre occasion.
El Gordo

07-02-2009, 04:31 PM,
El Gordo Wrote:It would be wonderful if you could come to the West of Ireland... Wink

No really, it would. Would you be able to get a few days off? This year it's March 22, so probably around the same in 2010. I'd have thought a similar format to Almeria -- travel out on the Saturday, race on Sunday, rehydration, perhaps climb Croagh Patrick on the Monday, rehydration, return on Tuesday. Would actually like to stay longer, and if I was going on my own I would, but will see how the idea develops. Maybe my liver would implode if the trip was any longer.

Main consideration is that the race is in a pretty out-of-the-way place and logistics would need a bit of thought. It's a long way from Dublin, so would be better to fly to Galway or Knock. May also need to move accommodation after the race.

But I won't get too far ahead. It may be just a pipedream at this stage. It's a race I've always wanted to do though, and am definitely up for it. Might even be able to drag Glaconman out of retirement, as well as some other forum luminaries.

Yes, I could take one or two days off but not more than three months in two years Wink. Of course, those days are not paid. Anyway, I´d love to go next year. I think that Shannon airport is better communicated than Knock or Galway, at least from Spain.

07-02-2009, 07:57 PM,
Hurrah! It's official, an RC trip to Ireland!
Good on yer EG! Gillybean! SP! Antonio! We're putting the band back together and it's barely split up . . .

I'm chuffed, I really am. OK, soon as I get back from Brazil I'll arrange a night in the pu . . . er, a planning meeting with EG and we'll get the maps out.

Be still my beating Guinness pouch!
Definitely only the half race for me though . . . unless the others are offroad :o and in deference to EGs suggestion to go UP a mountain the next day Eek

There I was bemoaning my lardiness after Almeria . . . Rolleyes

07-02-2009, 08:39 PM,
It's a date then Sweder. I've just decided you're going to pace me for a sub-2 hour 1/2. Wink

GB you'll love it in Southern Ireland. trust me.
09-02-2009, 01:33 PM,
Hmmm, well, the cunning plan formulated after last week's experience: ie try running east first, so as to have the blast from the Urals coming from behind (so to speak) on the return trip, came to nought as the wind had spitefully turned to blow from the north.
This week's mission was to follow the route of the jog shop 20. Lovely early on the outward run, past the unsightlier parts of ASDA by the Marina and almost balmy in the sun. As soon as I struck out along the tops of the Downs the wind chill was painful. Was forced to run cupping my nose in my gloved hand as it felt like it was going to fall off (renewed respect and admiration to Fogel, Cracknell and Coates). Past caring about appearances and certainly did not expect to see anyone I knew out there. Of course at this point, up pops the obligatory hard man - in SHORTS - who grinned pityingly and, yes, you've guessed it, accelerated smoothly away (how do they do that???) I reckon I am now humiliation proof.
Counted the run as a success as I made it back to base camp (with nose) and didn't stop on the hills.
Snoozed cosily infront of the RBS six nations in the afternoon, lulled by the rosy glow of achievement. One of the advantages of all this running is the amount of FOOD I can put away while simultaneously appearing to get thinner and thinner. Even the kids are impressed. Well there have to be some perks!
Have adopted Debbie Harry's lyric "I'm not the kinda girl who gives up just like that - Oh No Oh!" Strange what sticks in your head when you're running.

XXK

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connemarathon here I come....... done it! Katy.a 15 5,801 27-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Last Post: suzieq
  Connemarathon here I come, seriously scared.... Katy.a 7 3,584 23-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Connemarathon here I come, feeling the fear Katy.a 0 1,471 14-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  Connemarathon here I come, tapering... Katy.a 0 1,721 27-02-2009, 03:49 PM
  Connemarathon here I come, the continuing story Katy.a 4 3,070 19-02-2009, 04:05 PM
  Connemarathon here I come, pt 2 Katy.a 0 1,404 09-02-2009, 01:48 PM