Connemarathon here I come....... done it!
25-03-2009, 03:25 PM,
I did it! I did it! I did it!

I ran 26.2 miles in 4 hours 12 mins and - can't remember the secs -but who cares? Certainly not me at that stage. And I can still walk! Dare I say it, I'm even thinking of going for a ...................... run!

Running mate and I arrived on the friday pm and stayed in Clifden. Saturday was beautiful weather (Connemara always gives you one fine day to come back for) and we pottered around the beaches before watching the Ireland Wales rugby final (aaaargggh and I couldn't drink!) in Griffins Bar. The explosion of adrenalin and testosterone was one of the best pre-race preparations I can think of.

Thankfully race day was perfect running weather, light breeze, not too sunny, as the route has little or no shade or shelter. RM and I queued up at the start and tried not to take any notice of the running geeks ("ran this route yesterday," "my 300th marathon this year" "couple of nice little hills on this one" etc, etc) and tried to rise above it all. All the one-upmanship and out-psyching paled into nothing as the leading Ultra runner came steaming past with his outrider and that shut everyone up.

I would love to say I enjoyed every minute of the route, but I'd be lying. The first half was fine, and felt good at the half way mark, flying down the hill to Leenane in well under 2hrs, but having done the half mara version last year, I was aware of what laid in wait at the end. Fondly known as the 'hell of the west', it's a long 1.5 mile drag up a hill and then an undulating totter down the last 1.2 miles into Maam cross - never quite up, but never quite all downhill either. The worst thing about this sadistically placed teaser of a finish is that you can see runners far ahead of you, winding up the hill, from the 21 mile marker. Having reached the top of the bl**dly climb (liberally peppered with official photographers to record the agony), the tower at Peacocks Hotel and the finish still seem impossibly far away. Having said that, its a corking event in stunningly beautiful scenery, and organised to the last whisker, including complimentary pasta, soup, massage and all sorts of goodies once you'd stumbled over the finish. Highly recommended! Apparently the half mara was started by Ron Hill, THE Ron Hill, who also ran the route (and I just thought he was a clothing label).

RM and I will be going again next year.... but only for the half. Not even a bath full of celebratory champagne post marathon could make me do the whole whack again........ (I think). More than happy to be race or tour advisor for any one who is interested.

Meanwhile it's only left for me to thank you all for your encouragement and support. I love you all.

xxK (aka 6119)
25-03-2009, 03:56 PM,
Fantastic effort Katy -- very well done. 4:12 on a hilly course is really impressive. Great report too.

I hope you do go back next year so that we'll have the pleasure of meeting the legend in person. It may have been bravado, but a few RC-ites have confidently stated that they'll be there, with all of the confidence of people making promises that they don't have to keep for a full year. But certainly it's a race I'd like to do. At this stage, I think the half is probably the one to go for, but I'll make a judgment nearer the time. I did suggest that a climb up Croagh Patrick would make a good loosener for the following day, but the logistics might defeat us. Would need to get up to Westport, which could be a valuable waste of drinking time.

What's next? Any more races planned?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-03-2009, 04:13 PM,
Many congratulations K!
It's been terrific following your quest, and what a long strange trip it's been, ending in glorious victory over those cruel, limb-crunching climbs.
I'm sure there's a few lurkers around here chomping at the bit to follow you into the emerald hills next year; I'm one of them. Not sure if I'll be able to do the 26.2 but I'll run the half for certain.

If you're ever down Hove Park way on a Saturday morning (for the Parkrun 5k or just as an interesting bystander) I'd love to buy you a coffee & cake and hear more about your race.

Meanwhile, hats off, feet up and here's to 2010! Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-03-2009, 06:33 PM,
Congratulations, Katy. It´s wonderful to finish a marathon feeling eager to go for a run so soon.

I´d also love to go there next year. I´d love to be able to do the marathon but I don´t know yet. Is it possible to enter the marathon and change for the half if you don´t feel well prepared. Apparently, the fee is the same for the three races, isn´t it?

Greetings from Almería

25-03-2009, 07:01 PM,
Hi anlu247

You can demote yourself to the half marathon before the race, but not on the day - there is a cut-off date. This year, entry changes closed on March 1st (no going back after that) but you'd have to check on the site for next year. The entry fee is the same for all distances as all the facilities (transport to and from race, baggage, water, food etc etc) is the same for all.

I love the area and was a bit nervous about dragging my running mate to Ireland (she'd never been), but she was as bowled over as I was by the country, the race and the hospitality.

No hesitation in recommending it.

xxK
26-03-2009, 10:02 AM,
Nice one katy. I'd give my right leg for a time like that.

You may well have started something here. I'm up for the half next year. Any excuse for a trip to The Emerald Isle cannot be ignored. Smile
26-03-2009, 11:48 AM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:I'm up for the half next year. Any excuse for a trip to The Emerald Isle cannot be ignored. Smile

Right, plenty of witnesses to that. Big Grin

Well done if you're up for it though, SP. Would be great to see you step up to the half again.
El Gordo

26-03-2009, 11:59 AM,
Need to pick K's brains re accomm etc. Be good to get booked in early doors. Flights too, tho probably not available yet. I fancy this one - Almeria perfect timing for prep too.

26-03-2009, 12:45 PM,
OK, time to start a new thread I think...

http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/s...php?t=1899
El Gordo

26-03-2009, 12:54 PM,
Katy,

Congratulations on a fantastic performance. We checked the results earlier in the week -- I take it you know that you were 2nd in your class? (if such things matter to you)

Nice report as well -- "never quite up, but never quite all downhill either" perfectly describes those annoying stretches that we've all experienced, which look like they should be easy but somehow still drain your stamina.

Great stuff!
26-03-2009, 02:55 PM,
Katy.a Wrote:Hi anlu247

You can demote yourself to the half marathon before the race, but not on the day - there is a cut-off date. This year, entry changes closed on March 1st (no going back after that) but you'd have to check on the site for next year. The entry fee is the same for all distances as all the facilities (transport to and from race, baggage, water, food etc etc) is the same for all.

I love the area and was a bit nervous about dragging my running mate to Ireland (she'd never been), but she was as bowled over as I was by the country, the race and the hospitality.

No hesitation in recommending it.

xxK

Many thanks, K. You´ve persuaded me easily. I´d love to go and probably do the half marathon next year.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

26-03-2009, 08:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-03-2009, 08:07 PM by Katy.a.)
"If you're ever down Hove Park way on a Saturday morning (for the Parkrun 5k or just as an interesting bystander) I'd love to buy you a coffee & cake and hear more about your race."

Cake...cake...did someone mention cake? Yes please.. What time do people turn out on a saturday?

xK

Attached Files Image(s)

26-03-2009, 08:28 PM,
Sickening. A time to be proud of and a smile for the camera. Big Grin
26-03-2009, 11:36 PM,
Run starts at 9am, coffee & cake at the Hove Park cafe from 09.30.
I sincerely hope that photo was taken in the first half mile Wink
See you there. Running with Mrs S so will be in the last few finishers.

26-03-2009, 11:45 PM,
Congratulations Katy, a fantastic effort! Looks like you may have a few takers for next year as well. Wink

What's next?
Run. Just run.
27-03-2009, 03:59 PM,
Congratulations Katy! What a great marathon you ran - and looking good no less. Well done.
I'd love to say I'd run it next year, but flying from Canada is a little far to plan something like that right now. But who knows?!!

Suzie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connemarathon here I come, seriously scared.... Katy.a 7 3,587 23-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Connemarathon here I come, feeling the fear Katy.a 0 1,478 14-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Katy.a
  Connemarathon here I come, tapering... Katy.a 0 1,725 27-02-2009, 03:49 PM
  Connemarathon here I come, the continuing story Katy.a 4 3,081 19-02-2009, 04:05 PM
  Connemarathon here I come, pt 2 Katy.a 0 1,411 09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
  Connemarathon.... here I come Katy.a 16 6,910 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM