Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One of the benefits
27-05-2005, 07:41 PM,
One of the benefits
of having an office at home Is the lack of commuting. A quick hop up the stairs and I’m there, at work. Of course it does have its downside. We’ve lost the spare bedroom so the mother-in-law can’t stay, but ho hum, life goes on! Big Grin

Another downside, (such as it is), is that I didn’t step out of the house all day today; and it was during today that I decided to embark on a hilly 6 miler after I’d finished earning the corn.

So by about 5ish I’d packed up work (well it is POETS day) and donned the lycra.

So as I said, one of the downsides of working from home is not leaving the house all day, and therefore I had no real idea how damn hot it was! Eek Sure I spent the day in shorts with the windows open, but it wasn’t really until I was ¼ of a mile up the road that I realised how warm it was.

I decided to run from home and up into the hills. Upwards to Frog Firle (yes really) and beyond to stop a hilly 3 miles from home along the South Downs Way.

Hills?? Enough to make your legs boil, but I still made it to the 3 mile turn in 34 minutes which I was pleased with. A quick drink and a baaa at the overheating sheep and back I turned. All downhill but I didn’t manage to make up much time, finishing at the front door in 67 minutes with 6:09 miles.

No great shakes, but when you add the compulsory (as endorsed by King-of-the-Hills Sweder) 20% for the elevation, and another 20% or so for the stifling temperature Big Grin, well….who knows?

This beer dunnarf taste good tonight!

Attached Files
.gif   pint.gif (Size: 9.76 KB / Downloads: 87)
27-05-2005, 11:37 PM,
One of the benefits
Et tu, SP?

One minute you're all claiming to be totally out of condition before Tuesday, the next, all of you buggers are reporting energetic 5, 6, 7 milers out on the hills.

Infamy, infamy......
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-05-2005, 10:09 AM,
One of the benefits
Happily for Andy RC I can report that I am in poor health.
Carrying some generic respiratory affliction all week I decided the best cure would be to attend a gig at the Borderline in London last night. The good news is I saw the Eppsteins, who are a marvellous folksy-rock-loon ensemble that may well appear on Later . . . with Jools Holland at some point.

The downside is several hours in a sweaty, smoky dungeon sucking on Guinness has left me in a sorry state of disrepair. I have banked zero miles since Sunday and seem unlikely to do so before Tuesday.

Feel better, Andy?

SP, you are a star. You will come to love the hillside life as I do and you won't return to the ways of the pave-hound. Of course this will bugger you completely for your next road race . . . c'est la vie. By the way, not forgotten I owe you some dosh for last Friday. Tuesday OK?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-06-2005, 04:43 PM,
One of the benefits
Right, I've heard a fair bit of waffle from you about off-road running and all that. It's time we went out for a meaningful lope in sunny (?) Sussex. Let's do it big fella . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph