RunningCommentary.net Forums
One of the benefits - Printable Version

+- RunningCommentary.net Forums (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum)
+-- Forum: Training Diaries (Individuals) (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Seafront Plodder (http://www.runningcommentary.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: One of the benefits (/showthread.php?tid=1120)

One of the benefits - Seafront Plodder - 27-05-2005

of having an office at home Is the lack of commuting. A quick hop up the stairs and I’m there, at work. Of course it does have its downside. We’ve lost the spare bedroom so the mother-in-law can’t stay, but ho hum, life goes on! Big Grin

Another downside, (such as it is), is that I didn’t step out of the house all day today; and it was during today that I decided to embark on a hilly 6 miler after I’d finished earning the corn.

So by about 5ish I’d packed up work (well it is POETS day) and donned the lycra.

So as I said, one of the downsides of working from home is not leaving the house all day, and therefore I had no real idea how damn hot it was! Eek Sure I spent the day in shorts with the windows open, but it wasn’t really until I was ¼ of a mile up the road that I realised how warm it was.

I decided to run from home and up into the hills. Upwards to Frog Firle (yes really) and beyond to stop a hilly 3 miles from home along the South Downs Way.

Hills?? Enough to make your legs boil, but I still made it to the 3 mile turn in 34 minutes which I was pleased with. A quick drink and a baaa at the overheating sheep and back I turned. All downhill but I didn’t manage to make up much time, finishing at the front door in 67 minutes with 6:09 miles.

No great shakes, but when you add the compulsory (as endorsed by King-of-the-Hills Sweder) 20% for the elevation, and another 20% or so for the stifling temperature Big Grin, well….who knows?

This beer dunnarf taste good tonight!

One of the benefits - El Gordo - 27-05-2005

Et tu, SP?

One minute you're all claiming to be totally out of condition before Tuesday, the next, all of you buggers are reporting energetic 5, 6, 7 milers out on the hills.

Infamy, infamy......

One of the benefits - Sweder - 28-05-2005

Happily for Andy RC I can report that I am in poor health.
Carrying some generic respiratory affliction all week I decided the best cure would be to attend a gig at the Borderline in London last night. The good news is I saw the Eppsteins, who are a marvellous folksy-rock-loon ensemble that may well appear on Later . . . with Jools Holland at some point.

The downside is several hours in a sweaty, smoky dungeon sucking on Guinness has left me in a sorry state of disrepair. I have banked zero miles since Sunday and seem unlikely to do so before Tuesday.

Feel better, Andy?

SP, you are a star. You will come to love the hillside life as I do and you won't return to the ways of the pave-hound. Of course this will bugger you completely for your next road race . . . c'est la vie. By the way, not forgotten I owe you some dosh for last Friday. Tuesday OK?

One of the benefits - Sweder - 06-06-2005

Right, I've heard a fair bit of waffle from you about off-road running and all that. It's time we went out for a meaningful lope in sunny (?) Sussex. Let's do it big fella . . .