London attacks
07-07-2005, 01:15 PM,
London attacks
I hope everyone is OK? B**g*er the terrorists.
07-07-2005, 04:21 PM,
London attacks
I also hope you all are all right. I watched it on TV. It must have been horrible. It reminded me of the terrorist attacks in Madrid on March 11th.

07-07-2005, 05:09 PM,
London attacks
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. This is yet another mindless and cowardly act.

I'm not exactly sure what "B**g*er the terrorists." means, but I have a feeling I agree with you completely.
07-07-2005, 08:39 PM,
London attacks
I think the word is 'bugger'. It might be 'burger', as in to wish endless MacDonalds upon them. Either way it's not pleasant.

I've heard from just about everyone I know who could have been in that area of London and thankfully they're all OK. Thoughts go out to the families and loved ones of the innocent people killed, maimed, injured and traumatised by faceless, intolerant cowards.

Now for the whinge.
Why oh why oh why must our rolling news media go through this mawkish process of body count assessment? It's like some sick, obscene game show. I know that a lot of people were hurt and injured. It makes no difference to the bereaved if their loss was shared by 36 families or 136, or 'only' 6. I listened for a while as Radio 5 Live grappled for definitive numbers, interviewing priceless members of our incredible emergency services, all the while probing for 'estimates' and 'evaluations'.

Perhaps the time has come for the media to take a long hard look at the way they cover these barbarous atrocities. I spent 30 minutes listening to a variety of experts explain how power surges down the underground lines had caused the incidents between 9 and 10 this morning. It’s our duty to the dead and injured and their families to tread with caution and respect, to allow the emergency services conjecture-free time to do their jobs.

On a more upbeat note I was reminded of something I’d heard after 9/11 in the midst of the unfolding horror. That the natural reaction to events of this kind is for one to flee, to run away from the danger, to find a safe place in which to shelter. And there are our police, our paramedics and our fire-fighters, running full tilt straight into harms way, with only thoughts of saving lives. God bless them.

By the way, does anyone else feel this is an odd forum for this discussion?
Hug your children/ loved ones/ self tonight.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-07-2005, 09:17 PM,
London attacks
I also want to express my outrage at this mindless, senseless act. I simply cannot understand how people can do this to other people. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone there.

Even though London seems a long way off from Calgary, everyone here feels this quite strongly. Its like we're all in this together.

Suzie
08-07-2005, 07:51 AM,
London attacks
Hi, arrived in England Weds night and was feeling so good for the UK that London got the Olympics. A reason for good cheer and then this! What a shame we're not allowed to be publicly happy about one thing while deeply empathetic for the other.

Sweder, I have had the same thoughts re body counts. It's sick. The tsunami was when it struck me. It's like the number of dead defines the thing, and nothing else.

Anyway, I should say to all of us unaffected directly, echo Sweder's sentiment and remind yourself of those special ones in your life and appreciate them in some way.

JP
08-07-2005, 09:09 AM,
London attacks
My wife works in Holborn. She could have been on or near the bus that blew up. Felt sick as I had come very near to losing her.

My building was evacuated and a controlled explosion was carried out on a suspect package.

Scary. Hope everyone is ok and my heart to those affected.

Pete
03-08-2005, 04:03 PM,
London attacks
I was very sorry to hear of this, and to know our current boneheaded presidential adminstration is somehow indirectly responsible. Thoughts and prayers for you folks.
"When I see someone running on my street, my instincts tell me to let the dog out after him." -- Mike Royko

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London Marathon Stories Sweder 2 10,355 30-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Fox attacks jogger stillwaddler 0 1,070 06-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  2008 London Marathon Places Grooms-Shaftesbury 0 2,664 14-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Grooms-Shaftesbury
  London Marathon 2005 - Video El Gordo 2 1,350 19-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  London Marathon JP the Dream Chaser 7 2,368 01-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Last Post: JP the Dream Chaser