Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Links
06-05-2012, 11:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 29-11-2012, 07:22 AM by Sweder.)
Running Links
Following a few recent conversations about barefoot running I've linked back to this post.
Hope it's useful to you.

I've posted links below to answer questions and point folks towards some of the topics discussed. If you're a regular visitor this will all be old news. Under each heading is a link to a piece on here or an external link to book reviews or pieces I've enjoyed on the subject.

Offroad Races/ Running
Something I plan to do more of, simply because the impact of hard-top running on my battered legs is becoming intolerable.

Steyning Stinger - my race with Moyleman. A full, offroad marathon.

Travesia Integral de los Montes Aquiianos - Bierzo Baggie's adventures in the Spanish mountains

Inclement Weather - some outings are more fun than others. Caution: may be off-putting

[Image: file_3_28.jpg]

Barefoot Running
We've had a fair few debates on here about this. The consensus is we're not Tamahumara Indians and BF running is NOT for everyone. It is, in my view, a good way to alter your running style, helps to avoid injuries BUT, like all good medicine, should be taken in small doses, at least at first.

Vibrams Five Fingers - I wear these and find them comfortable. Other manufacturers have got in on the act lately so do look about. Just like when buying road shoes, go to a proper outlet and try them on. Sizes vary between manufacturers, although I found Vibrams to match the Mizuno shoe sizes pretty well.

Cool New York Times piece on Barefoot running.

Another from Guardian Sport offering a balanced overview without conclusive findings.

I can't say this enough, barefoot running is not for everyone. It has helped me to adjust my running style and avoid injury, as has/ does running offroad in Mizuno wave harriers (they have less cushioning than road running shoes). As the great George Sheehan says, we are all an experiement of one.

Books/ Writing On Running
Anything by El Gordo on here. It might not always be about running per se, but it is always worth reading.
Here's a lovely piece to start with re-posted recently by Mid Life Crisis Man.

Feet in the Clouds - a story of fell running and obsession. Excellent.

Born To Run - rollicking tale of one man's search for better running, barefoot science and a super-human tribe of uber runners.

Hash House Harriers
My adventures running with the Hong Kong Hashers. Includes some historical background, but mostly apocryphal jibberish.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Messages In This Thread
Running Links - by Sweder - 06-05-2012, 11:28 AM
RE: Running Links - by Bierzo Baggie - 06-05-2012, 09:35 PM
RE: Running Links - by Sweder - 07-05-2012, 12:25 AM
RE: Running Links - by Sweder - 28-11-2012, 08:03 PM
RE: Running Links - by Antonio247 - 28-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lockdown Larks: A Non-Running Update Sweder 5 1,199 26-03-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Running in North America 2 - Montreal Sweder 10 5,227 26-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  Sideways - wine-tasting & running En France Sweder 9 4,320 17-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sweder