RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: A gauntlet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey SP

It's been a while since my last attempt at beating you in a race. As you know, this is the sole entry on my bucket list; the one thing that keeps me clinging to life.

Are you up for the Brighton 10K on November 16?

Honest statement of account: I haven't run for 10 months and am desperately unfit, though been on the wagon for a few weeks. Need to get moving to give myself a chance of winning the Moyleman. Or if I'm barred to give the others a chance, I'm settling for podium at London Marathon 2015. Spot of motivation required to get me out off my expansive bottom.

If no response received by end of this week, I win by default. Hurrah!
A bold challenge, but my money is on the Plodder. Assuming he's keeping up a bit of tennis and golf, I reckon they trump alpine walking in the cross-training stakes. Sounds like a spectacle worth witnessing first-hand though...
You're a family man, Dan, you can't afford to throw your money away. I will win by default. And even if he did the decent thing, I fear that too much easy living will have taken its toll on the great man.
I am watching the development of this post with interest. I could be tempted to join you, should the big man step up to the plate.
(12-08-2014, 11:06 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: [ -> ]should the big man step up to the plate.

I think the problem is that he's been doing too much of that. Big Grin
(12-08-2014, 12:17 PM)marathondan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-08-2014, 11:06 AM)Charliecat5 Wrote: [ -> ]should the big man step up to the plate.

I think the problem is that he's been doing too much of that. Big Grin

Beat me to it....
Tuesday, 15:21 UK time: the clock ticks down...
Don't wait up. SP couldn't run 10k even if there was a bottle of Scotch waiting at the other end.

Or could he?

What's his favourite tipple?
The deadline looms. Email sent, but no reply received....
He's toying with you.
The devil! Psychological warfare at its worst!
Ah, cryptic response now received.

Not accepting, but not refusing the challenge...

Deadline -- midnight, Monday 18 August....
You only stipulated that a response was necessary - not an acceptance or refusal...
A gentleman of the stature of SP would not try any of those legalistic semantic shenanigans.

I don't think we will see him try to jump through any hoops -- for obvious reasons.

In a poll whose significance puts the Scottish independence referendum in the shade, a simple Yes or No by midnight tonight will suffice. Further silence will be interpreted as No, and I will claim victory by default.

Hurrah! At last!
I think, in the interest of gentlemanly fairness, that in order to win by default, you would still have to run the race in November. Hmm?
Hurrah indeed.
(18-08-2014, 01:01 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: [ -> ]Hurrah indeed.

It's true! It's true! He lives!

...though he doesn't say too damned much, does he?
(18-08-2014, 02:06 PM)Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-08-2014, 01:01 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: [ -> ]Hurrah indeed.

It's true! It's true! He lives!

...though he doesn't say too damned much, does he?

but his silence is deafening...
The challenge has not been accepted. He must know the game is up.

Hurrah! The sweet taste of victory, at last.
Congratulations on your 10K victory, EG. Training is progressing faster than expected!
Pages: 1 2