RunningCommentary.net Forums

Full Version: Almería half marathon 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Seafront Plodder Wrote:My err...'special friend' and I . . .
Sorry mate - I know the person in question (and that person is lovely) but when I read that only one image sprang to mind.[SIZE="1"](Man I'm gonna cop it now)[/SIZE]

[Image: 130906_masterblaster.jpg]

Two men enter . . . one man leave . . .

I doubt that either of the them are in M's league though... :RFLMAO:
Seafront Plodder Wrote:In the likely event that Claire doesn't run, she'll be assigned re-hydration duties. She knows Mrs Sweder is going and asked me whether she liked shopping. Rolleyes

I doubt that either of the them are in M's league though... :RFLMAO:

I share your scepticism, SP. M's verdict was that Almeria offered limited pleasures when it comes to shopping, though there is an excellent, and photogenic, indoor market where you can invest in, or just admire, all manner of edible exotica.
OK, now the easy bit. Rolleyes

How much do we owe for the hotel, and how do we pay for it??
Well, in the mail I was told that the hotel would charge 50 € + 7% VAT each night. If you also want breakfast, it would be 5.90 € + 7% VAT. It can be paid at the hotel.

Saludos desde Almería
Brilliant, thank you Antonio Smile
New information on the half marathon.

There will be pasta dinner but this year it will be at the Hotel Tryp Indalo, so you won´t have to walk much. By the way, it is free for the participants but it costs 15€ for those who haven´t entered. So, it is cheaper to enter even if you don´t take part than to have dinner. Dinner will be from 8:30 to 9:30 pm.

This year they won´t give any goodie bag before the race, just the race numbers which will be collected at the hotel on Saturday afternoon from 4 pm to 9 pm. They will give to the runners who get to the finish line a technical T-shirt, a pair of socks, a bag for the mobile phone or MP3 and probably a small box of tomatoes, a key ring, etc.

Saludos desde Almería
I knew you had influence in Almeria Antonio, but that is impressive Eek
Pasta dinner and race numbers in our hotel ? Excellent work!
Wow, now that is a change. Thanks for the info, Antonio. Having got so accustomed to the routine, this is a major tremor. But not a bad one in my view. The meal is fun, but traipsing over to the stadium and going through the anxiety of trying to get on one table on the same sitting was a bit stressful. It will be good to be able to register at the hotel, and eating arrangements will be more relaxed. Technical tee, eh? That's a nice touch.

I'm still a bit paranoid about the hotel bookings, but if you can confirm with them that the booking is safe, I'll be happy.

Good news though. Reminds me, I must enter the race!
I´m glad you both like the new setting and the technical t-shirt.

Don´t worry about the booking, EG. The rooms were booked at my name many months ago, but I´ve already sent the list with the names of the people for each room as Sweder sent me. The man in charge at the hotel confirmed me a few days ago that everything is OK.
Marvellous, thank you Antonio.

I just entered the race, and have had my confirmation. All I need now is a left leg, and I'm all set. Big Grin

Am out for a medium jaunt tomorrow -- about 6 miles -- which will tell me a lot.
If there´s anyone who hasn´t entered yet, I´ll tell you that the fee is 12 € until 23rd January. After that date, it is 20 €. The last day to enter is 28th January at 1 pm.

Good luck with your left leg, EG.
I just spent an idle half hour looking through last year's Almeria snaps, and am beginning to feel shamelessly excited about this year.

It will be different this time, though I think all the changes are potentially good ones. A much bigger party (in all senses of the word); a different airport, and a 2 or 3 hour meandering drive down to Almeria; race registration and the pre-race meal at the hotel; more time to relax on the Tuesday.

I'm also happier about the prospect of the race than I have been for the last couple of years. Last year I had that nagging knee problem, and just plodded round the 10K. Year before I was just out of condition, and wasn't far off finishing last in the half. It's a shame I've missed 3 weeks of training, but still, I feel fitter than I have done for a while so I think I'll get round more comfortably this time. No PB attempt planned -- I just want to enjoy the occasion.

Bring it on!
I´m glad you feel optimistic about Almería half and I hope you all enjoy your time here.

By the way, shall I book a restaurant for the post race meal? Where would you like to go? Would you like to have something similar to last year? I mean some paella, salad and "raciones" of ham, cheese, fish, meat and dessert?

Saludos desde Almería
I really enjoyed the restaurant we went to last year - with the long tables. The food and service were very good and I remember having a good time there.

However I'm open to suggestions for other places. One thought is that there will be even more of us this year - maybe as many as 24 people including local friends, the mob from Madrid and other Spanish-based runners with our group of 16 foreigners. That may limit our choices of venue.

Anyway, booking a tables or tables early is a very good idea.
I also enjoyed last year, but I seem to remember it getting a bit congested, and as you say, we'll have more people this time.

Hard to know what to suggest without knowing the options. I liked the setting of the restaurant we went to the first 2 years, but I thought that set menu was a bit limited, and the waiters were a bit standoffish. I also liked the 3rd one -- with Nigel and Suzie -- good food, but a bit too small.

Antonio -- what are our options? Is there anywhere in Almeria where a very large group of us could fit around the same table? Or perhaps we just go for somewhere where we sit at smaller tables but in the same area, so that we can throw bread at each other? Might make paying the bill a bit more practical too. But all suggestions welcome.

On the subject of paying the bill, we need to give some thought to how we manage money on this trip. Could get a bit complicated with such a big number.
I think that this year as the group is bigger we would be more comfortable and with beautiful views at Club de Mar, the restaurant where we went in 2005 and 2006 but instead of having the set menu, we could order something similar to last year, that is, some paella , some salads, some assorted plates with ham, cheese, fish and the dessert. Besides, this restaurant would be easier to reach and near the Molly Malone if you want to watch the football matches there.

If there´s anyone who hasn´t entered yet, I remind you that the last day to have the cheaper fee is next Friday before 1 pm. If anyone has any problem to enter, just tell me.
My only reservation with Club De Mar is stopping EG choking the living bejesus out of the toe-rag who dished up the river-water last time we were there . . . I agree that the venue lends itself to the numbers. It is a little Al Fresco-ish, and that's no bad thing. An advanced booking would be essential, and we should probably give people an idea of the cost per capita so they have the option to give it a miss if it's a bit too pricey.

Controlling the flow of lucre would be easier with a set menu/ smaller tables.
There will be non-drinkers amongst us (though they can probably be counted on one finger) - they won't want to be shelling out shed-loads of Euros to feed SPs red wine habit. We manage OK on the golf tours - there again, we operate a daily whip amongst those of us intent on druinking the local supplies dry. I wonder if our resident IFA has any thoughts on group money-management? :p
Yeah, if we go there, I think the set menu might be the only practical option. As for alcohol, we tend not to go too crazy at the post-race meal.

The traditional pre-meal photo will be even more chaotic this time. Will need to pack your wide-angle lens, especially as SP will be in attendance.

Pics: 2005 - 2006 - 2006 - 2007 -2008
Bloody hell! I don't remember going to Almeria when I was 20! Eek
How young - and svelt - we look in some of those Sad
Must've been sucking in the gut . . .
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13