Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Quite Dead
01-04-2018, 09:52 AM,
Not Quite Dead
Rumours of my demise, etc and so forth.
As the third month of 2018 faded into history, I have not one, but two runs to report.

I have OutAlongTheRiver to thank, along with Tom Roper of this parish. Peacehaven Parkrun is one of those three-lap slogs that CharlieCat hates with a passion, yet for someone looking to get back on the treadmill, just what the doctor ordered. A shade over 30 minutes it was not a thing of beauty, yet Messrs Roper and Read did me the honour of throttling back to keep me company as I wheezed my way round my first run of 2018.

Not one to do things by halves, I rocked up to Twitten Run this morning. Well, it is April 1st. 
Another ugly struggle, again witnessed (over his shoulder) by Rob, accompanied by Paula. 
This felt like a resurrection of sorts. There was no rolling away of any stones, and though my legs now feel like they've just been untied from a most uncomfortable perch, I feel rather good.Tomorrow may bring a few aches and pains, but the lungs too k the beating, which is what counts for now.

The best Easter pun award goes to the wag on Twitter who, seconds after Gabriel Jesus headed in Manchester City's second goal against Everton yesterday, quipped: 'That's not the first time Jesus has got on the end of a cross this weekend.'

On, on. Finally.  

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

01-04-2018, 12:30 PM,
RE: Not Quite Dead
Hoorah!  Big Grin
01-04-2018, 01:16 PM,
It was brilliant to see you back out there - and to get both parkrun and twittens done in the weekend was indeed a thing of joy to be part of. Especially after having done the Abyss post-Moyleman celebrations on Thursday, and then to have gone on route down the Snake with memories of Chris on Friday. Special few days.
01-04-2018, 01:36 PM,
Well done, amigos! I'm so glad you're getting fitter, S., and you're wearing Almería's half marathon T-shirt in beautiful Lewes, OATR.

I managed to do a 10 k run with Felipe this morning not feeling too bad. It's the longest distance we've done after Felipe's marathon and my half marathon at the epic Moyleman just two weeks ago.

Saludos desde Almería.

04-04-2018, 08:47 AM,
Slick mud
Wet flint
Slippery grass
Light drizzle
Strong winds
Cruel hills
Achey-breaky knees
Sore hips
Wobbly belly
Wheezy lungs
Buckets of snot
Too many layers
Sweatnami

4.8 Kms in the hills with the hounds
First off-road run in 2018
Endorphins swimming through my veins like fish in the sea

Loved it

04-04-2018, 09:28 AM,
Thank effing Christ; fabulous to see! Resurrections aplenty, it seems.
Run. Just run.
09-04-2018, 04:41 AM,
Another weekend of being un-dead. Parkrun - the flattest of flat courses, Hove Prom, with Messrs Roper and Reed of this parish joining me on this ugly up-and-down-and-up-again, thew Yo! Sushi track of the ParkRun world - followed by a rather well-attended (10 souls) Twittens yesterday.

I might have topped it all off with a early run, but with my flight to Geneva departing at 06:30 (prompting an 04:15 alarm and explaining this ludicrously-timed post) I thought 'sod it'. I'll get out mid-week for some much-needed off-road mileage.

On, on ...

09-04-2018, 05:10 AM,
You legend! Great to see you back in running togs again.
Run. Just run.
02-06-2018, 05:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2018, 06:05 PM by Sweder.)
Still getting out there, albeit sporadically. Charliecat5 dragged me out last night, OutAlongTheRive again this morning. 13.5 kms inside 24 hours, not bad for a fat sloth. In a man-bites-dog scenario, Duncan told me, gently, to lay off the burgers. This alludes to my wobbly shape and lack of fitness, though I feel a lack of O2 in the damp, clingy evening air had as much to do with my tardy performance as a recent record run feasting on bun-mounted, cheese-slathered meat.

Oh alright. I've been stuffing my face. Shoot me.
It's silly season, that time of year when I travel extensively, spend 14-hour days pacing the halls of the world's largest trade show venues, eating late (and badly), drinking too much too fast. It's an unhealthy cycle, and my midriff bears impressive testament to the poor dining choices I've made.

I've written a forward to Moyleman-runner and local journo Jack Arscott's book, Up the Downs! A tale of Sussex hill-running that features a few familiar places and faces. It's a page-turner, short, sharp, witty and enticing. God knows why he wanted me to stain it with my waffle, but there it is. I'm flattered. Available now, I believe, in local outlets, or on application to @jackarscott123

Twiathlon tomorrow morning; Twittens (12x brutal hill-sprints), followed by coffee at Ground, a jog over to Pells Pool and 6 or 12 lengths of those cool, cool waters, to be decided by OATR on the day. He, Tom Roper of this Parrish and possibly a few others. I may well be in danger from passing Japanese whalers, but I'm getting (ever so slightly) less unfit.

On, on.

02-06-2018, 08:53 PM,
Tremendous stuff. Fit it all in while you can. (The exercise, not the food.) I like the sound of the Twiathlon, with drinking coffee one of the disciplines (watch those transitions). In other food news, I appear to have become a vegetarian. Hasn't helped the waistline though.
03-06-2018, 01:31 PM,
I'm looking forward to reading your Foreword in Jack's book, Sweder. And to reading about your renewed enthusiasm on the Downs. And the burgers. Those burgers look good.
Run. Just run.
03-06-2018, 09:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2018, 09:26 PM by Bierzo Baggie.)
And on an entirely different subject ...looks like it's going to be Lewes v Man U next season! ...Amazing achievement, congratulations to all involved!  Smile Smile

https://www.theguardian.com/football/201...and-losers
03-06-2018, 09:36 PM,
"the unique Dripping Pan stadium"
05-06-2018, 01:26 PM,
For a twoo twiathlon you could twy cycling to the twittens. Just a thought.
05-06-2018, 09:14 PM,
(05-06-2018, 01:26 PM)Seafront Plodder Wrote: For a twoo twiathlon you could twy cycling to the twittens. Just a thought.

The third discipline is drinking coffee.  Obv.
There is more to be done
09-06-2018, 11:35 AM,
afternoon all - how is everyone? It has been a long time since my last confession...
Phew this is hard work !
09-06-2018, 07:22 PM,
I think we've all sinned a bit since your last confession...
10-06-2018, 10:48 AM,
Not me! I've been ... oh, wait...

[hangs head in shame] .... [wanders off, stage left, to the nearest pub...]
Run. Just run.
08-09-2018, 05:36 AM,
LMStillwaddler! I completely missed your message. Lovely to hear from you, alnpbeit briefly and somewhat mysteriously  Big Grin

BB, yes, high times indeed at the Pan Siro. We’re away to Millwall on Sunday (I’m away)then host the mighty Arsenal on the 16th (in the Conti Cup). Like West Ham, who sneaked past us 4-1 in the last CC outing, every one of the Gunners’ players is an international and has played in FA Cup or Champions League finals. Gulp. 

Just back to my hotel room after a rather exciting ParkRun in Singapore’s West Coast Park. As if an 07:30 start wasn’t thrilling enough, they laid on a full-blown electrical storm replete with stinging rain, thunder and sheet lightning. It were fun! 

Only 11 started so a top ten finish was on the cards. I rolled in 8th, damp but happy. 

I managed a proper run the other day, 15.99 kms with CharlieCat and OATR. It busted my ass somewhat, but it was good to know I can still cover that much ground in one sitting. My midriff remains burgeoned, but where there’s life, there’s hope.

On, on.