Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2005 - December
06-12-2005, 09:47 PM,
2005 - December
Hi All

Sorry for the lack of diary traffic recently. I'm having a horribly busy time at work. Just managing to get my runs in, but I just haven't had the time to do any writing. Normal service should be resumed by the weekend.

Andy
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
14-12-2005, 10:30 AM,
2005 - December
I say take 'em (the 21 x 17 year olds) 'round the pubs anyway.

They can watch as an Englishman demonstrates with heart-warming authenticity how one should conduct ones' self during a pub crawl. They will speak of nothing else on their return.

Heck (or is that Hic!), I'm tempted to join you.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

14-12-2005, 12:13 PM,
2005 - December
You are most welcome to join us, Sweder.

My plan is to take them down to Waterloo, then for a wander along the South Bank calling in briefly at the National Theatre, then onto Tate Modern for a bit, then a look at Shakespeare's Globe next door, then over the Millennium Bridge to St Paul's, then along Fleet Street with a quick look at Temple's Inn, into the Strand, passing the Savoy and the Royal Courts of Justice, to Trafalgar Square. If they've got some energy left we could wander down to Buckingham Palace, or settle for a bit more culture at the National Gallery or (my favourite) the National Portrait Gallery, before finishing up in Covent Garden where they can wander round and enjoy the buskers.

The remark about pubs wasn't entirely serious, but I daresay a drop or two of something decent will be on the cards. There are some great boozers in Fleet Street and Covent Garden.

Let me know if you're interested.
El Gordo

14-12-2005, 01:41 PM,
2005 - December
Take them in the Porterhouse - yummmy beers! used to be a frequest haunt of ours when visiting Miss SW, shame she has moved back really ( I don't really mean that;-))

Hoipe you have recovered from the dehydration exhaustion run home Andy, could have been nasty if you had collapsed entirely. Have to keep some gels/water in your gym kit bag?
14-12-2005, 07:17 PM,
2005 - December
Sadly no dice on joining you Andy, much as I'd enjoy the tour. There's a couple on your list I've not managed to visit and would enjoy learning along with the visitors. I'm committed to a long(ish) plod Sunday morning, possibly the last before Christmas.

Good point on the gels/ drink SW. On that theme does anyone carry a 'phone on runs? I do sometimes, 'though there's not always room with the water bottle, car keys etc. It makes sense to, especially if you're away from habitation/ offroad in case of injury.

Earlier this year I pulled out of a long run with a tight hammy. It was pretty cold and I was grateful to the mobby for the emergency Mrs S call out that saved me a long limp back to the car and possible hypothermia. Money (in small amounts) is also a useful companion, as highlighted by Andy's purchase of energy bars/ drinks. Helps if there's a pub on the route, too . . .

16-12-2005, 03:37 AM,
2005 - December
I would be interested to hear thoughts on the best way to carry said devices (water, keys, mobular phone etc.)... I've tried various methods and found them all extremely uncomfortable. Invariably I end up carrying a water bottle in my hand (if I must carry water) and just a solitary car/house key.

Truth to tell I did actually buy a tiny little mobile phone to carry for emergency use, but gave up finding a comfortable way of carrying even that little thing. I was thinking a bum bag might suffice, but the wretched thing just bobs up and down and becomes an awful nuisance.

And does anyone here use a Camelbak or similar? They look to me to be a usable solution, but I worry about added chaffing, comfort etc.

Perhaps I just worry too much Sad

MLCM.
Run. Just run.
16-12-2005, 05:41 PM,
2005 - December
I have an elasticated belt designed for holding gels that I sometimes use. It has a small zipped pouch that's just the right size for a phone and key.

I also have some shorts with a zipped pocket at the back which does the job.

Other people swear by those neoprene pouches that you attach to your upper arm. Used mainly for MP3 players etc but should take a phone comfortably.

The common theme here is that they are small, restricted spaces that don't allow an item like a phone to bounce around too much. Worst place is external, side pockets of shorts where things bounce up and down and get very annoying very quickly.
El Gordo

16-12-2005, 06:54 PM,
2005 - December
Re Camelbaks... I have a similar thing though not that brand. They are surprisingly comfortable -- again, because they fit snugly, and don't bounce round. Have only used it a few times for long runs. For short ones I go without water. For medium length (say 6 - 10 miles) I usually aim myself down the canal where there's a drinking-water tap 4.5 miles along. In other words, if poss I don't take water with me unless I really have to. In fact, even if I "really have to", I sometimes don't. Occasionally I've driven a route first, dropping off water or sports drink in 2 or 3 places.

Other people seem happy to run 10 or 20 miles with a water bottle in their hand, but not me.
El Gordo

17-12-2005, 11:33 AM,
2005 - December
I ran the 2003 FLM (my first) with a Camelback - never again.
Severe chaffing and, obviously, entirely pointless in a well orgnaised race.

Currently use a Nathan drinks bottle with back-mounted holder. This incorporates a zip pocket, but as Andy points out the ka-ching-ka-chang of keys scratching the life out of your mobile phone can drive you bonkers. Useful for holding my mini DAB radio for solo runs, too.

On long runs the Nathan can cause chaffing on the lower back. I solved this by shifting the location of the waterbottle holder from mid-back to hip (and back again) on longer lopes. Had to replace the holder last year as the bottle recess lost elasticity and the darned drinks container kept popping out on bumpy/ hilly circuits. Few things cause you to grind teeth more than having to stop, go back, pick up your bottle then re-run the section.

Agree with Andy - holding waterbottles on long runs is a poor solution.
Apologise for truncated 'speech' - desperately hung over after heavy session with SP at the Mayfield Golfing Society AGM yesterday.

17-12-2005, 12:10 PM,
2005 - December
Sweder Wrote:but as Andy points out the ka-ching-ka-chang of keys scratching the life out of your mobile phone can drive you bonkers.

Did I say that? Cool

But I do think it. As a minimum I always try to carry a door-key and a pound coin, but will do so only if I have 2 pockets somewhere so I can keep them apart. The noise of them both in one pocket is maddening.
El Gordo

17-12-2005, 01:25 PM,
2005 - December
I also use the Nathan drink belt for long runs, which I find is very good.

But If I'm just going for a short one there's a small inside pocket in my Ron Hill tracksters that will house a key and a pound coin. And as they're kept snug against the thigh, there's no noise.

I prefer shorts as a rule, but in deep winter I think tracks are the right kit to wear.
18-12-2005, 12:47 AM,
2005 - December
All good food/water for thought. Thanks - I'll experiment further.
Run. Just run.
18-12-2005, 12:51 AM,
2005 - December
Speaking of food (tenuous link) I wonder who will eat all the pies Smile

18-12-2005, 12:54 AM,
2005 - December
I think we already know Sad
Run. Just run.
18-12-2005, 11:08 AM,
2005 - December
Mince pie bulletin: managed to abstain so far. Mercifully they have a "Sell By" well into January, so I'll be able to sprinkle them round the various family gatherings over the holiday.

That's the plan, anyway....Rolleyes
El Gordo

24-12-2005, 02:37 PM,
2005 - December
I am truly sorry for your loss.
Being a somewhat shallow fellow I have limited written material stored away. However, If I were to lose my archives of photographs, stored for future personal reminiscing, I should truly know the meaning of such a calamity. This is a lesson to us all.

There maybe a small seed of positivity left twitching in the wreckage.
The book that dribbled and burbled along, demanding so much effort and regular diligence, may yet emerge intact, maybe even enhanced, purified, like Spock at the end of Star Trek III - reborn in a maelstrom of supercharged creativity.

Your safety net is gone; the path before is open and clear.
Just waiting for you to hit 'Turbo' and flash into a dazzling writing future.
Or maybe not. In any event, I have an idea. Get together with running folk, coccoon yourself with good beer, great wine, pastries and/ or Tapas and let hours of story-telling unfold (perhaps even with a small recording device tucked away). Almería could provide an ideal opportunity for a trial run . . .

24-12-2005, 03:39 PM,
2005 - December
I agree Sweder. I'm not actually that concerned.

I'm thinking that one of the reasons the book was taking so long was that I wasn't actually that happy about it. This is a good opportunity to rethink the whole thing.

I've just been scanning my other computers/disks etc. Most of what I lost can be recovered although it's all over the place and stuck in Recycle bins here and there. It's mainly stuff from the last 6 months that I've lost. It's blinkin' inconvenient but there are worse things in the world to worry about.

I like the idea of the beer and tapas and brain-storming.
El Gordo

24-12-2005, 07:39 PM,
2005 - December
It's times like this, as a child, that my mum would utter those words that only mums can...

Well when did you last have it? Sad
25-12-2005, 08:16 PM,
2005 - December
Yep, beer will fix it. Or at least give the illusion of fixing it. Or make you not give a damn.

I'll join you in the bar shortly.

I have a back up to do first...
Run. Just run.
28-12-2005, 10:07 AM,
2005 - December
I like your simplified schedule Andy.

The 'relationship' comparison rings true. I look back on last year and see the damage I did (principally to my hamstring) hurtling around the track on cold Tuesday nights. This affected Almería, Brighton and Reading halves, a series so full of promise 12 months ago. My catch phrase for 2006 is 'less is more'. This flies in the face of most advice, but my goals have shifted - I'm now mentally preparing for the Two Oceans in 2007, and everything I do from now on is geared towards injury-free endurance.

So I'm down to the bare bones: 2 mid-week runs of around 5 miles a piece with my long runs on Sunday, starting at 11 miles and building to 20. I can see the occasional recovery 'around town' plod on a Monday, and if my old mate SP fancies a mid-week Seaford sojorn (followed by some Guinness investment) I won't duck the challenge.

I guess the upshot is, running schedules are like much else in life - they come in all shapes and sizes for people of , er, all shapes and sizes. Best wishes for 2006, and may the heady, giddy haze of new love linger a little longer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2007 - December El Gordo 5 4,684 24-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  2006 - December El Gordo 29 12,863 04-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  2005 - November El Gordo 37 14,718 06-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  2005 - October El Gordo 27 12,240 01-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Last Post: El Gordo