Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring 09 - the run-up to Boston
15-04-2009, 12:46 PM,
Thanks BB.

Yes, Boston is a "very historical" marathon, now in its 113th great year. The Boston course is the Wembley/Wimbledon/Lords of running, and is the most talked and written about race there is. More in my report, no doubt.

A great thrill for me is learning that Bill "Boston Billy" Rodgers is running this time for the first time in 13 years. He wrote one of the first books I read about runnng, and I really like the guy. Sort of an old hippy, and someone who breaks every rule there is.

Here's a great piece of film from 30 years ago which shows him winning one of his 4 Boston victories. Bear in mind this was shot long before the running boom, so it will give you some idea of how big this event has always been. Really, well worth a watch, and gives a glimpse of some of the famous hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yTVylg2xCM
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-04-2009, 01:19 PM,
Good luck and good running EG!
I know how you're feeling...think I'm going through a bit of that myself. But it will come together and hopefully Monday morning is a nice, cool running day for you. Running Boston is different from other races. This is the main event. Not everyone gets to run Boston - you do! It won't be easy as you know, but I'm feeling confident that you will have a good run and finish it; that is the main thing. I can't imagine the feeling at the start of the Boston marathon - you'll be there feeling it. Very, very exciting! I'll be anxious to hear all about it after.

Suzie
15-04-2009, 02:45 PM,
Sorry, have been away, not much time for logging in. just to wish you lots of luck for the weekend.
I see from your tweets you are thinking about visiting Alcatraz - it is open on Sundays and you should def. go, you can book online and collect tickets just before...don't try queuing, it'll take forever. While you are there invest in the audio trail, fascinating and harrowing too.

Have a brilliant trip.
Phew this is hard work !
15-04-2009, 04:06 PM,
Best of luck at Boston marathon and enjoy the trip to the States, EG!

I´ll be looking forward to hearing how it goes.

15-04-2009, 04:23 PM,
Crikey! We've all got our hankies out. I can see you all waving them from the quayside. I'm filling up here....

I'm still around for another day and a half, so hang on in there guys!
El Gordo

16-04-2009, 08:15 AM,
Now, final check:

Tickets
Money
Passport
Calf support
16-04-2009, 09:09 AM,
Good Luck in Boston. Hope you enjoy it.

Was a 5 mile week for me last week. I tweaked my hamstring. So rested all week. Am back on the horse this week with a 6 mile run and today 4 or 5 miler and the same again tomorrow with a 12 mile at the weekend and a hilly half next week!

Whats your bib number? So we can follow your speedy progress over the hills online :-).

Good Luck once again and hows about the QPR result on Saturday? Maybe Ainsworth is the answer? Heard it was attractive football too.

Have a Dundee United season ticket up here. I take the wifes little brother, its a good laugh. The footballs not bad and they could qualify for Europe. Still will be happy if Newcastle go down as I will make the trip down for that game.

Good Luck!!!

Peter
16-04-2009, 09:16 AM,
marathondan Wrote:Now, final check:

Tickets
Money
Passport
Calf support

Big Grin

I'll have you know that my packing list of a few weeks ago has been invaluable for this and previous weeks races...

Though to be more honest, I haven't actually started packing yet. I have a full day's work ahead, then have to pack for both a holiday and a marathon and get out of the house by mid-evening, as we're spending tonight at the in-laws near Gatwick. Makes sense, as we can leave the car there.

Anyway, despite best intentions, it's unlikely that I'll get another main diary entry in before I leave, though I hope to get something up there pre-race.

Thank you everyone for your great support, and likewise, I'll be rooting for all friends aiming for London in just over a week's time. Dan, Nick and Suzie -- it sounds like you've done the training, so best of luck for the big day.

Training never goes quite to plan, does it? All things considered though, I'm pleased with the way things have gone. The few bumps in the road were largely not of my making, which isn't the usual story. I haven't revisited my pre-race weeks for previous marathon campaigns but I seem to recall periods when I just sort of lost interest and went down the pub for unhealthy periods.

Hasn't happened this time. I have compared total miles for this campaign against others though, and not surprisingly I fall short this time, partly because I've had to take time out to recover from the calf problems, but also because I've taken a different approach to training, with fewer runs and more cross-training. That's been a big help in improving my general fitness. The reality is that I'm still pretty unfit and probably clinically obese, but I'm a lot better than I was, and given that running is a momentum thing, I'm happy with that. The important thing for me is always: what direction am I going? If it's upwards (so to speak), that's good. And it is upwards.

Once again, thank you all for the tremendous support and concern you've shown. It's great to have this reciprocal encouragement, and long may it continue.

See you on the other side of the pond....

EG
El Gordo

16-04-2009, 09:39 AM,
Peterward3 Wrote:Good Luck in Boston. Hope you enjoy it.

Was a 5 mile week for me last week. I tweaked my hamstring. So rested all week. Am back on the horse this week with a 6 mile run and today 4 or 5 miler and the same again tomorrow with a 12 mile at the weekend and a hilly half next week!

Whats your bib number? So we can follow your speedy progress over the hills online :-).

Good Luck once again and hows about the QPR result on Saturday? Maybe Ainsworth is the answer? Heard it was attractive football too.

Have a Dundee United season ticket up here. I take the wifes little brother, its a good laugh. The footballs not bad and they could qualify for Europe. Still will be happy if Newcastle go down as I will make the trip down for that game.

Good Luck!!!

Peter

Hey Pete, thanks. Aye, good start for Ainsworth, though still massive grumbling about Briatore.

Thanks for the reminder about the race live update service.

Go here:

http://registration.baa.org/2009/cf/RegA...=21936034&

Bib number is 24549. D-o-B is 06/30/1957
Next screen, select Internet email and your mail address, and Bob's yer uncle.

To watch the race on computer:
http://www.universalsports.com/SportSele...SID=105671

I can't guarantee that the camera will be on me the entire time... Eek

Starts 10am Eastern time, so I guess 3pm UK time. I'm in the 'second wave' which sets off at 10:30 (3:30 UK).

Cheers

EG
El Gordo

16-04-2009, 12:05 PM,
Very best of luck from me El G.

I cleared my cookies a while ago and couldn't be arsed to log in, but have been following your prep with admiration.

After the calf scare I secretly harboured doubted that you'd make it to the start line, but that was then. All the extra cross work has obviously paid off and well......you know the rest.

My only concern is that you have scheduled 5 days in Vegas.Eek

SP
16-04-2009, 02:05 PM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:My only concern is that you have scheduled 5 days in Vegas.Eek

SP

Vegas wasn't high on my list, but M fancied it. 5 days is longer than I'd have liked as well, but we plan to get out to the Grand Canyon etc while we're there, and I'll probably benefit from the post-race veg-out time, so I won't complain.

And with a bit of luck, I'll recoup the entire cost of the trip while I'm there Rolleyes

EG
El Gordo

16-04-2009, 02:57 PM,
You will love the Grand Canyon, it is gob smackingly awesome

Will tune in to follow your progress - this feels like sending one of my kids off to do their finals

go to it young El G
Phew this is hard work !
16-04-2009, 04:27 PM,
For your Canyon trip, book through http://www.maverickhelicopters.com

Agree with SW, it's one of the most stunning views imaginable. If you take the late afternoon trip you can fly back at dusk when the sun reflects off the Canyon and turns it a deep shade of red. Better still, on that same trip you can opt for flying down The Strip at night.
16-04-2009, 07:12 PM,
GOOD LUCK E.G.

We are all keeping everything crossed for you. Smile
Nick

Pondering
16-04-2009, 10:09 PM,
Not much more I can add. A fantastic achievement to have got this far -- rounding it off in style will be a helluva job, but you know you can do it!
17-04-2009, 08:43 PM,
Once again, thanks everyone. I'm here! Sitting on my hotel bed after a pretty good trip. Was at Gatwick at 7am, and we got to the hotel in Boston at about 9pm UK time -- 4pm local. Weather nice. About 60 degrees F. Not sure what that is in the new-fangled Celsius thing. Forecast for Monday is 40-50F which would be perfect.

More later. Am still a bit subdued about Chris.
El Gordo

17-04-2009, 09:43 PM,
Get plenty of rest. You know as well as I do how easy it can be to overtax oneself in a new city in the days before a marathon. You & Boston are a dangerous combination Big Grin

Don't feel too badly about Moyleman. the fates are cruel beyong measure; I've been chewing up anger and bitterness as well as loss and sorrow for the loved ones cheated out of more happy years with him. But like the twister that takes the church or the school but leaves the gin house the foul disease that took him has no moral compass, no premeditated plan. It destroys, it invades and ruins lives without discrimination. Chris knew this. He found it hard to accept - I've no doubt we'd all say 'why me?' - but he of all people lived a good and wholesome life. He was in a lot of pain, and would not have wished to be remembered as a person who suffered but as a man who lived his life honestly and to the benefit of those around him. To me he was a giant, an inspiration, someone capable of dragging the impossible out of the improbable. Warm, honest, the genuine article.

I've been reading his dairies here - like his life, all too brief - and it's lifted my spirits. It's like speaking with him again. His humour, his unique window on the world, it's pure Moyleman. For a while in the dark hours of early morning it was like having him sat in the next chair. I don't want to sound glib but RC gave me that. I've sent links to his diaries to Tina and Camilla. In time they might want to pop in and visit the Chris we knew. Hopefully, like me, they'll shed a tear or two but leave grinning and in awe of his power to positively affect everyone he met.

Run well mate; you deserve a good one.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-04-2009, 01:11 AM,
9pm here in Boston, and with just over 12 hours to the gun in Hopkinton, and I am now officially entering mild panic mode. Left it very late to find a pasta source (geddit?), and ended up getting a take-out from the local Olive Garden (chain of Italian restaurants). We ate too much, and I am now feeling bloated beyond Lewes Hamburger standards. I have to hope for severe deflation by 5 in the morning, when I must be awake.

Shit. It's almost here.

What an unbearable cocktail of dread and excitement.

I hope I live to tell the tale. If I do, I'll tell it here first. Wink
El Gordo

20-04-2009, 06:23 AM,
The great day has arrived. Take it easy, EG.

Best of luck!

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

20-04-2009, 10:25 AM,
Just pausing at the lobby PC on my way out the door. The sun is shining.

Laters all....

Andy

EekEek
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switzerland - Spring 2011 El Gordo 15 10,064 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Post-Boston El Gordo 26 13,940 19-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man