Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring 09 - the run-up to Boston
17-03-2009, 10:54 AM,
Thanks all.

Suzie -- sounds like you may have strained the hamstring. A pull would be very bad news at this stage, and would probably have stopped you moving much. Still, a strain needs looking after. You know what to do. Sounds like you're turning in some impressive long runs though, so you should be fine.

Nick -- the calf is in a semi-permanent state of mild soreness but not bad enough to feel too worried about it at present. I'm stretching daily which I'm sure is helping. My quads are more painful at the moment but I think that's to be expected after Sunday's hills.

MD -- It's a very old race so I suspect that it used to be run in Finchley and sort of moved around a bit as clubs and organisers came and went and police restrictions changed. If precedent is anything to go by, it will probably end up in Milton Keynes with Nick.

Sweder -- aye, the de/hydration problem. It's another reason I prefer winter running. Warm weather running gets complicated with the if/when/how much of fluids. Like you, I'm amazed to see people happily glugging litres of sports drink in the minutes leading up to the start of a race. It's a mistake to make once or twice but no more.

When I'm organised (:RFLMAOSmile I drink loads of water in the days leading up to a long race, then almost nothing at all on the morning unless I have 2 or 3 hours for it to naturally exit before I get to the start. That said, I got it wrong on Sunday. I just forgot about it, and also I suppose I didn't expect it to be such a warm day. I haven't got used to the fact that we are out of the winter now -- or hadn't until this morning, when I had a glorious 4 mile canter through the lanes at 7 a.m. Still a bit fresh at that time, but the sunshine was fantastic.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-03-2009, 07:37 AM,
This just in . . . news reports emerge from a misty Suday morning: yellow-capped plodder spotted rounding off a +21 mile epic! Could it be???

No doubt reports to follow in Big Diary; if substatiated would be monumental good news. Fingers crossed it's not the ITN pranksters at it again . . . no official word from Gordo Towers . . . reporters flooding the streets of rural Berkshire as I type . . .

. . . this story is garnering Homeric proportions.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-03-2009, 12:31 PM,
Rumour has it -- 21.26!

More later.

Dashing out.
El Gordo

23-03-2009, 12:05 PM,
El Gordo Wrote:Tonight I had an hour of cross-training in the gym to gauge my recovery, and I felt great. No significant aches.
Absolutely, unbelievably, great news, EG. I can understand you wanting to keep calm, but you must be rather chuffed.

No significant aches, he says. The man's been injured half the winter, and he knocks out 21 miles with no significant aches. I've seen it all now...
24-03-2009, 10:36 AM,
El Gordo Wrote:Oh God, Sweder gets a tweet from Stephen Fry. Persistence has paid off. It's 6:10 am and I am off to the gym to work off my jealousy :-)
Why can't I see the great man's tweet in Sweder's tweetstream? (Is that a word? I hope so.)
24-03-2009, 11:15 AM,
marathondan Wrote:Why can't I see the great man's tweet in Sweder's tweetstream? (Is that a word? I hope so.)

Don't you just get tweets sent rather than received?

Where are you tweetfishing? I hope that's a word too.

I use Tweetdeck, and it's visible there, but as a tweet from Stephen Fry, who I also follow.

Do you twitter?
El Gordo

24-03-2009, 11:24 AM,
El Gordo Wrote:Don't you just get tweets sent rather than received?

Where are you tweetfishing? I hope that's a word too.
You're probably right. I'm just looking via the browser: http://twitter.com/Sweder.

Anyway, I'm sure the quote will be appearing in Sweder's signature some time soon... Wink

El Gordo Wrote:Do you twitter?
No, and just following you and Sweder via RSS has convinced me that it wouldn't be a good use of my time... Smile

BTW, I think your tweetsplurge (running out of new terms now) on the front page is a good addition to the site.
24-03-2009, 01:27 PM,
This isn't about 'tweeting'. I just wanted to say how excited I am EG about your running and how good you're feeling - Yea!! I admit I was a little worried but it sounds like you've gotten yourself there and will be ready for Boston. I am very impressed with how much you're working out in the gym, never mind putting in the miles. You're giving me motivation, so thank you. Keep doing everything you're doing - it's working!Smile

Suzie
24-03-2009, 05:24 PM,
suzieq Wrote:I just wanted to say how excited I am EG about your running and how good you're feeling - Yea!! I admit I was a little worried but it sounds like you've gotten yourself there and will be ready for Boston.
Suzie

I'm with you SQ - excited in a sitting-on-my-hands kinda way. I have an inkling of what Boston might mean to the man. The prospect of a glorious finish to this traumatic saga is mouthwatering.

No additions to my tag line MD. The note from S Fry was nought more than four words. You must forgive my Steadman indulgence; his letter was like hearing from the mighty HST himself without the ugliness that often comes with meeting one's heroes or in this case, receiving a letter from them.

[SIZE="1"]sent via Tweetie through iPhone, perched on edge of office chair listening to Aerosmith's Dude Looks Like A Lady[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

25-03-2009, 06:25 AM,
Tremendous work EG - looks like nothing much can stop you now. Go for it!
Run. Just run.
25-03-2009, 09:20 AM,
Sweder Wrote:No additions to my tag line MD. The note from S Fry was nought more than four words.
OK, but still quite a catch. As he is the world's most followed Twit (still?), I imagine such a note accords you some status in the Twitter community.
Sweder Wrote:You must forgive my Steadman indulgence; his letter was like hearing from the mighty HST himself without the ugliness that often comes with meeting one's heroes or in this case, receiving a letter from them.
No apology needed - I think you'll find that "blog" is a synonym for "indulgence". Wink

Sweder Wrote:
[SIZE="1"]sent via Tweetie through iPhone, perched on edge of office chair listening to Aerosmith's Dude Looks Like A Lady[/SIZE]
Aha, my FLM theme tune!
29-03-2009, 08:58 PM,
Hi All

Hope everyone had a good running weekend.

I did the RHM today, and have written most of the report, but need to concentrate on work (yeah, I know, even on a Sunday night Eek) so it might be a day or two before it surfaces.

Did 2:18 which isn't exactly lightning fast, but the calf held up, and I got round without any walks or stops, which was my main aim. Full gory tale ASAP.

EG
El Gordo

29-03-2009, 09:40 PM,
Great news, EG. Another mighty step forward, that a couple of months ago would have seemed impossible. Looking forward to the report.
29-03-2009, 09:42 PM,
That's great news EG - it all seems to be c oming together well now. Looking forward to the report.
Run. Just run.
29-03-2009, 09:55 PM,
Is there an echo in here?
El Gordo

29-03-2009, 09:57 PM,
An echo?
Run. Just run.
30-03-2009, 06:26 AM,
No, it's the Evening Post.
30-03-2009, 07:13 AM,
[SIZE="1"]post...[/SIZE]
02-04-2009, 05:55 AM,
EG, congrats on the successful RHM. And a top-notch report, as always -- although it doesn't do too much to encourage me to enter again any time soon.

Do you think that the back problem is to do with posture? I think most of us probably tighten up a bit in the shoulder / neck area during long mileage, but that sounds nasty. At least it takes your mind off your legs during the final stages...?

Two more races -- sounds like a nice prelude to the main event. I know you'll take it easy and run these at training pace, won't you? Everywhere I look -- FLM magazine, RW emails, the health and fitness columns of papers that always get marathon fever at this time of year -- everyone is banging on about not overtraining in the last few weeks. See my forthcoming book, "Egg-Sucking for Grandmothers."
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM,
marathondan Wrote:EG, congrats on the successful RHM. And a top-notch report, as always -- although it doesn't do too much to encourage me to enter again any time soon.

Well it isn't on for another year, so it's just as well! I didn't mean to put anyone off. Just the opposite. I really like the race, but just don't want it to get any bigger.

marathondan Wrote:Do you think that the back problem is to do with posture? I think most of us probably tighten up a bit in the shoulder / neck area during long mileage, but that sounds nasty. At least it takes your mind off your legs during the final stages...?

I don't know. I was talking to the sports therapist chap today who said perhaps I let my head drop (physically speaking) too much, which is posture, so you could be right. I'll try to be more aware of it.

marathondan Wrote:Two more races -- sounds like a nice prelude to the main event. I know you'll take it easy and run these at training pace, won't you? Everywhere I look -- FLM magazine, RW emails, the health and fitness columns of papers that always get marathon fever at this time of year -- everyone is banging on about not overtraining in the last few weeks. See my forthcoming book, "Egg-Sucking for Grandmothers."

You're right about overtraining of course, and I'm aware of it. But because of my curtailed training, I'm going for a 2 week taper, so this week would have been a 20 in any case. I plan to just treat it as a training run. Well, I don't actually have any other option. I don't really have race pace and training pace. I just plod away, wherever I am. Weekend after I was going to do a 10 miler, so I may as well do the Maidenhead 10 on Good Friday. I take on board the dangers, but to balance that, a race helps keep the self-discipline up i.e. I'm less likely to stop for a walk break or duck out of finishing the distance.

Have to say, I'm not looking forward to the Worthing 20 much. It's 4 laps of 5 miles again, which gets tedious.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Switzerland - Spring 2011 El Gordo 15 10,030 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Post-Boston El Gordo 26 13,895 19-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man