Need cheering up
30-03-2006, 12:45 PM,
Need cheering up
According to the illustrious Hal Higdon this should be my heaviest mileage week before FLM, a tidy 40 miles. Trouble is, I'm really tired. Because the distances are long for mid week, 5 Tuesday,10 Wednesday and 5 again on Thursday I can't do my usual midday runs from work so it has to be after work. By that time I'm kn****ed and v. hungry, I managed on Tuesday but followed it by a very slow plod around a 9 mile cicuit last night and couldn't even be bothered to make it up to the required 10.

Should I run tonight or try and marshall my resources for the 20 miles required on Sunday? It feels like cheeting if I don't go out this evening, but right now I just couldn't face it. Mr SW missed the Tuesday run and was a fresh as a blinking daisy last night, made me feel a lot worse of course.

The only slightly bright light on the horizon is that the promised taper starts after the 20 miler. Right now i cna't imagine having the energy to get roung 26 miles and 285 yards (God Bless Queen Victoria for those extras!)

Will put report on about the last week or so soon, have just run out of lunch hour.
30-03-2006, 01:13 PM,
Need cheering up
Hi SW. I know exactly what you mean. If I could be bothered I'd trawl through some old posts because I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I stopped or cut down my midweek longee's towards the end of my last two campaigns, but made sure I didn't scrimp on the 18-20 milers. Time on ya feet and all that. I think the longer runs are far more important than anything else and with hindsight I should have done more.

If you haven't read Nigel's excellent piece on a related subject, well, here it is. Well worth trawling for. T-I-R-E-D
30-03-2006, 02:33 PM,
Need cheering up
thanks SP for the sympathy/encouragement, a quick visit to Nigel's pages of wisdom has done much to cheer me up a little. I will treat myself to a bit of a pamper tonight, and try not to feel guilty. Hopefull I'll have enough energy togrind out the 20 miles in the wake of Mr SW on Sunday.
30-03-2006, 04:08 PM,
Need cheering up
So Sweder's had his laptop nicked, MLCM has been told to stop running, and SW and I are having crises of confidence.

And that's just today.

Well, I'm off out to run several miles along the Rhine through Dusseldorf. The way things are going, I don't expect to make it back unscathed.

Commiserations all. Life will look better after a beer or two.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
31-03-2006, 08:05 AM,
Need cheering up
rotten luck for MLCM, hope the orthotics arrive soon. Hope Sweder had everything backed up too. I didn't run last night, I festered on the sofa watching M'boro, still took me ages to go to sleep, mostly because my mind wanted to plan a route for SundaySad Mr SW went out for his 5 miles, came back fresh as a daisy having done it in 42 minutes, so there is no hope for me and he will obviously just be staying back at my pace in the FLM because he is such a nice bloke. Well, Saylavy but Neversaydi.

How was the Rhine Run??
31-03-2006, 08:16 AM,
Need cheering up
stillwaddler Wrote:How was the Rhine Run??

Terrible.

I waddled (no offence like...) for about a mile and a half, then wadddled back again.

I have 9 days to become a svelte, highly motivated athlete.

Eek
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
31-03-2006, 08:37 AM,
Need cheering up
No offence takenBig Grin

svelte - nah, don't bother, but motivated? Come on Andy, you can do this in 5 hours - we could always threaten you with the Sally Gunnell and Steve Cram crew, :p

You know how it goes - Just put one foot in front of the other, it only has to be a miniscule faster for each foot movement than you have done before.

The RC community have faith in you.
31-03-2006, 05:13 PM,
Need cheering up
Hey Andy - you were right; life does look better after a few beers!!!
Trouble is, I can no longer see my feet; they're somewhere under this horrible escarpment that appears to have bloomed around my middle Eek

Backed up? Nah . . . but then my loss was pale in comparison to both (my son) Jake's (he had a couple of weeks worth of colledge work on the laptop) and more disturbingly MLCMans. Just back home and catching up with stuff so I've not read his posts yet . . . I doubt they'll bring too much cheer from what I've gleaned so far.

SP, your avatar is exceptional, and not just the likeness. Mwah!

SW, the tiredness thing is weird, huh? I get it every darned time, and normally when I haven't run for a while, too . . . go figure. I do know that the occasion will deal with most negative thoughts/ feelings on the day. And don't forget you've the prospect of McSweder and his Mad Dancing JDRF Cheerleaders at Mile 22 to keep you warm!

God, it's good to be home Smile

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph