Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plodding On
11-03-2009, 04:59 PM,
Plodding On
9 miles accomplished on Sunday in the most bizarre weather, started out slightly drizzling but very windy, rained harder and then sent down huge hailstones that stung my face. It was so wet that the water was running down my stomach and my poor feet took on enough water to necessitate pouring the water out of my trainers when I arrived home. Typically, the sun came out while I was in the shower – grrr However, I felt OK and managed a reasonable pace all the way round.

A nice little 4.5 miler at lunchtime today in beautiful weather has put a bit of a shine on my afternoon even though I am still at work.
Phew this is hard work !
11-03-2009, 05:31 PM,
Plodding On
Great to see you're back out there SW. 9 miles? Great stuff.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

12-03-2009, 01:39 PM,
Plodding On
Hey Sweder - I love the nose Big Grin
Phew this is hard work !
16-03-2009, 11:07 AM,
Plodding On
11 miles in the bag for yesterday. Beautiful spring day and I was quite pleased with progress, an average 20 seconds a mile faster than last weeks 9 miler. I'm sure the weather was the main contributing factor in this, it was near perfect running weather, sunshine but tempered with a slight cool breeze. Calves were tight afterwards (am I coming out in sympathy El G?) I think its a result of gym work on Friday - where incidentally I was sporting my newly acquired RC tee :-)

The weekend was only marred by the dismal result from my beloved boys who I think were in wecantbearsed mode. I only watched it on the box, one of my sons had to endure it at the Devil Bowl :-(
Phew this is hard work !
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM,
Plodding On
Failed to start the Wilmslow half - really annying having done all the training and feeling quite up for it.
With two days to go a migraine started - really annoying as it was at the end of a weeks holiday when we had been up to the lakes to do some rather glorious walking, micro brewery research and Arts and Crafts house visiting. Maybe it struck because I was so rested and relaxed? Anyway was incapacitated and still had the remnants of a headache up until Friday of last week. Have had a short toddle or two, but that is all. Wilmslow was the only half on my list for this year, maybe I should try and find another one?
Phew this is hard work !
06-04-2009, 07:31 PM,
Plodding On
It´s a pity you couldn´t do Wisnslow half after having prepared it, S. Anyway, you can find another half that suits your.

Best of luck

07-04-2009, 05:34 AM,
Plodding On
How frustrating. Sad (Not to mention the actual unpleasantness of the migraine.) Get yerself into another half quick, don't let the hard work go to waste!
07-04-2009, 04:10 PM,
Plodding On
stillwaddler Wrote:Wilmslow was the only half on my list for this year, maybe I should try and find another one?
Save yourself for Connemara!
Gotta be done Big Grin

Incidentally I'm reliably informed by my travelling companion (herself a native of Waterford) that one is supposed to climb Croagh Patrick barefoot. Something to do with penance - I can see myself invoking the name of the Lord after a hilly half.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

07-04-2009, 05:26 PM,
Plodding On
Bad luck SW, that really is a shame. By all means enter another half, though you seem to have fewer of them up there than down here. There are halfs coming up in Leeds and Sheffield, if you're prepared to stray into enemy territory. Otherwise you may have to wait till the autumn. But it's great to see you back doing decent distances after your eventful last few months.

Sweder's right -- it would be fab to get you to Connemara for 11 April next year (www.connemarathon.com). Proper scenery, proper Guinness: you know it makes sense.

Sweder's partly right about Croagh Patrick. There's a tiny church on top of the mountain, and has been the target for pilgrims for decades. There's one Sunday in particular, in July, when a lot of people trek up there, some in bare feet, some on their hands and knees.

Incidentally, here's a snap of the mountain (The Reek, as it's known locally) that I took from my hotel window in Westport when i was there in February. Looks pretty daunting, huh? Eek It will prove to be an outstanding hangover cure, I'm sure. Big Grin

Attached Files
.jpg   043a.jpg (Size: 38.47 KB / Downloads: 18)
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  plodding on stillwaddler 0 1,709 31-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler