orthotics
16-03-2009, 06:56 PM,
orthotics
Here I am again six weeks before the big day and still in pain with my knee. I have a pair of orthotics that I was told to try last year but didn't.Do you think its a bit late in the day to start wearing them now bearing in mind it could just give me more problems. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks
John
17-03-2009, 08:55 AM,
orthotics
Hi Johnny

With only six weeks to go, I'd get myself and knees down to the nearest sports physio, plus orthotics and get them a once over. Your physio will be able to give you some advice and treatment for your knees too.

I do sympathise, pavement pounding hurts. Seeing as the 'end' is in sight and as a temporary measure, I am a great believer in neurophen (industrial strength 400mg - having read all the warnings and advice etc of course!). But check out with a physio that you are not doing yourself permanent damage first.

Best of luck

Xk
17-03-2009, 10:26 AM,
orthotics
EG posted some useful info on impact pain recently. I'm looking into these myself as my only alternative is to give up hard-top races Sad

I'm with Katy - it may be a case of too late for major changes, but a tweak here and there might help. I too pay homage to ibuprofen but make sure you're OK to take it first. You can also get ibuprofen gel to apply to the affected area. I haven't tried that on my knees (I have infamously dodgy knobblers) but would consider it for temporary pain relief.

Let us know how you get on.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-03-2009, 11:54 AM,
orthotics
I'm no expert, but I think the orthotics are worth a go if the alternative is severe pain and the possibility of missing the race. I've often heard people say that orthotics or a change of shoes instantly cured their joint pain. As long as you take it easy, and are ready to whip them out if you sense they're doing you harm, they have to be worth a try.

I would try them out on a short easy run - 3 or 4 miles - and see. But (big but) I would also definitely go to see a physio or podiatrist or both, and get an opinion on what to do. 6 weeks might not seem long but it's long enough to make a change.

As Sweder mentioned, you could also buy some Sorbothane insoles which cushion the impact on your joints. If you want some reassurance, go to the RW forums and do a search on Sorbothane -- you'll find a lot of people singing their praises. I tried them on Sunday and again this morning, and they do seem to provide a significant extra layer of cushioning.

So there's an action plan for you -- orthotics, Sorbothane and sports physio.

(By the way, do see a dedicated sports physio and not just a common or garden one. The first physio I went to see after I did my calf at Christmas was a very nice lady who seemed very knowledgeable about the general biomechanics, but knew nothing in particular about the impact of road running.)
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-03-2009, 12:32 PM,
orthotics
I wonder if Sorbothane might provide longevity for favorite old shoes past their prime?
I've bid farewell to some dearly beloved boots in recent times Sad

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-03-2009, 01:06 PM,
orthotics
Sweder Wrote:I wonder if Sorbothane might provide longevity for favorite old shoes past their prime?
I've bid farewell to some dearly beloved boots in recent times Sad

I don't think so, as shoes past their prime often have more fundamental problems than just loss of cushioning. The soles break down or weaken, and they stop supporting your weight in the intended way. Insoles would make them more comfy for pub visits or gardening, but couldn't undo the damage to soles and structure.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
17-03-2009, 08:05 PM,
orthotics
Everyone is different and you will need to be properly diagnosed for your orthotics to work properly. Many get away with off the shelf orthotics, but if you're like me and require prescription orthotics, the process is far more convoluted and can take a year or two to get it right. So get yourself along to your physio in the first instance, and if necessary, a podiatrist who will then fit you properly. Either way, my gut feeling is that 6 weeks is pushing things a tad!

Good luck though, and well done for persisting. Smile
Run. Just run.
21-03-2009, 05:40 PM,
orthotics
Thanks for all the great advise . Ive been to the physio and he is helping me with it all. He put some temp orthotics under the arch and it seems to be helping, but I do seem to be getting the old shin splints back .
18-04-2009, 02:30 PM,
orthotics
Hi Johnny

Just wondering how the knees were holding up and to wish you loads of luck for next weekend... will be thinking of you. Have a fantastic day

xxK