Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meh.
17-03-2009, 08:18 PM,
Meh.
OK well I regret to report that my Canberra marathon campaign is over. :mad:

Two major scheduling hassles (work and family) have conspired to make the date unworkable for me. But in any case I have to confess to being somewhat relieved. My lack of mid-week runs and continual state of exhaustion (thanks to renovating and moving into new home) have not unexpectedly caught up with me and made this a real, and ultimately impossible trial. Last Sunday's long run was a not-negotiable 25km minimum, but I pulled up dead-in-the-water well short at 16km. Although I already knew by that stage that Canberra wasn't going to happen, the lack of training made it readily apparent that 42.2km was just too ambitious for me at this stage, and it was with mixed feelings that I pulled out, sat down and metaphorically tore up my Canberra race entry.

The good news however is that I remain injury-free, and so I will search for another suitable marathon at a more distant date and begin again. It ain't over folks, just post-poned slightly.

So apologies to those of you who professed such optimismistic enthusiasm for my chances - it really does make a difference and on more than one occasion reading your comments got me out there running when otherwise I might not have done so. But as I say, it's not over yet, I just need to find another race and start the process again. I'm nearly settled into the new house now and within a few weeks life will return to normal and 2-3 runs per week will become far easier to accomplish.

Ironically perhaps, despite my poor training I'm actually very pleased with my general state of fitness and health. I'm down to very nearly my ideal weight - which is the least I've weighed in over 20 years, so I actually have a good basis to begin again with a new marathon campaign, refreshed, enthusiastic and without housing hassles.

It will happen folks, it has to.
Run. Just run.
18-03-2009, 01:35 PM,
Meh.
MLCM - you've made a good decision. There will be many other races you can do when your life is running on a more normal pattern. Training for a marathon takes over a person's life and if you have other things demanding your time it just doesn't work. And it sounds like your life was extremely busy without adding a marathon to the mix. Enjoy running now just for the sake of it and when your life is ready for you to tackle a marathon, you will.

Suzie
18-03-2009, 02:14 PM,
Meh.
Oh, bugger. Bad luck. I sensed from the thread title that it wouldn't be good news. Well done for making the sensible decision though. It will, as you say, be an excellent base for starting again.
18-03-2009, 03:15 PM,
Meh.
I can appreciate the sense of freedom if not the frustration you must be feeling. Sounds like you're in tip-top shape which is, as you say, a great platform from which to launch a future campaign.

Running for the hell of it is about as liberating an experience as one can enjoy without breaking the law. Fill yer boots!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

18-03-2009, 03:27 PM,
Meh.
Suzie's spot on. Keep up the fitness and another marathon will come and find you......As will Almeria 2010. Wink
18-03-2009, 05:37 PM,
Meh.
Bad luck, MLCM, but you know you've made the right decision. I was doubtful about the one or two bursts of exercise per week, though you did manage to persuade me otherwise with your enthusiasm and confidence. Looks like it finally caught up with you. When it comes to running, we tend to know what's right for us.

So. The race is dead, long live the race. If you're anything like me, after the initial disappointment, there's a great sense of excitement about the opportunity to start again with a clean slate. Being the right weight is a great advantage. I tend to spend most of a marathon campaign desperately trying to shed ballast (as I am right now). Much better if you can start at something approaching a decent weight. Not only is the training easier but you can treat yourself to a few post-run drinks or some comfort food without worrying about calories. Try to keep your basic fitness -- this will help when you identify a new target. You can get stuck in straight away without weeks of painful preparation.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
18-03-2009, 11:34 PM,
Meh.
Sorry about that MLCM but even if you don't end up tackling the big M, I reckon you've done some important groundwork for future projects, (and I've a feeling there just might be a kayak involved..) Keep it up mate!
25-03-2009, 06:30 AM,
Meh.
A week and a half on from pulling out of the campaign and I'm more comfortable with the decision now, feeling it was definitely the right call.

Off to Adelaide for a week now and hopefully some relaxed runs around some old haunts.

Smile
Run. Just run.