Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June, but far from flaming...
26-06-2006, 11:19 AM,
Started off Ok, lovely trip to Dublin, pleasant running along the canal until MrSW sprained his ankle being so busy looking at an approaching lock that he tripped over a high curb. Still, he was v. brave, we strapped it up and he managed to carry on walking doing the essential site-seeing. At least it didn't interrupt our Guinness drinking. For anyone who hasn't been, the Guinness Storehouse is a great place to visit, the panoramic views of the city from the top are amazing.

Back from Dublin and the hay fever starts with a vengeance, the itchy streaming eyes I can just about cope with, but the wheezing induced by even short slow runs is not good. Had to scratch from the City of Manchester 10k yesterday, shame because I had been looking forward to it. Ho Hum, just have to wait for it to subside and keep taking the anti histamines, trouble is I must have put on 5 pounds in the last fortnight - which, you understand – has absolutely nothing to do with the extra beer consumption necessary to get through the England World cup matches. If they keep playing like they have been now they are being faced with “proper” teams I might be forced to watch from behind the sofa, a situation I haven’t needed since watching Doctor Who at about the age of 8!! Still, so far my lucky England earrings (so delightfully tacky) haven’t let the boys down – well, I might just keep everything crossed next Saturday too.
05-07-2006, 12:27 PM,
have just checked my training log, it's currently standing at 497.4 miles for the year. Now if I could just get in my usual 3.4 loop this evening I would have the statisfaction of cracking the 500 mark - but, "I, there's the rub" I am half a stone heavier than pre FLM, am still getting very wheezy from the high polen count, and it is just so damned HOT...

Excuses excuses, even the gym at work where I can use the tready in air conditioned relative comfort is off limits at the moment due to flooding from Sunday's storms :-(
05-07-2006, 12:46 PM,
stillwaddler Wrote:...and it is just so damned HOT...

Haha! It's been funny today - the Oz media contingent covering the Wombledone tennis have been sending back reports about your quaint notion of "hot" over there. One fellow was saying today how on the train into the tennis centre one person castigated him for wearing a jumper, to which he had to reveal that in fact he was wearing two jumpers.

One English newspaper headline about the poor England football team "sweltering" in the murderous 31 degree heat of Germany even made it as a back-page headline here, with an appropriate jocular editorial...

But it's what you're used to I suppose. But give me the heat any day. All this cold, wintery nonsense is wretched. I'd rather run in 30 degrees than 3 degrees any day. In fact, I can't run in 3 degrees. My body goes into a kind of shock, and it takes several nips of whisky/whiskey to recover.

Still, as you say, a treadmill in a climate controlled gym overcomes all such obstacles... some of them even have a bar (the gyms that is, not the treadmill ... at least none that I've seen thus far) Smile
Run. Just run.
06-07-2006, 03:45 PM,
We don't get a chance to get used to the heat, as soon as it winds up to the low 30's we get a thunderstorm or a blizzard:-)

I did go out for a run yesterday evening. It was very hot, it was very stormy and sticky, but I plodded through my 3.4 miles to reach the magic 500 for this year. I’m sure there are loads of you who have completed far more than that, but for me it felt like an achievement albeit small, celebrated with a delicious pint (2!)of cold Erdinger, whilst watching the Portugal/France drama (sign Ronaldo up for RADA now, he’s a gifted actor), at least that was one pint I felt I had actually earned for a change.
06-07-2006, 04:52 PM,
Proud-a-ya SW!

I for one would have loved to have clocked 500 in the year, but due to the strict constraints of my 'less-is-more' policy I've had to throttle back a bit . . . Eek

And as for that darned blighter from the southern hemisphere and his jibes, just for that we've decided not to send any of our Ashes-winning cricketers Down Under this summer (there)/ winter (here) as punishment. :mad:

You'll have to put up with the usual third-rate dross we usually send. Stuff that up your layered jumpers Skippy. Big Grin

[SIZE="1"]Note to self - must be careful when rationing beer supplies due to possibly confrontational side effects . . .[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-07-2006, 11:29 PM,
Well done SW! Great effort, and if it makes you feel better, I am able to confess that I just clocked mile number 120 for the year a short time ago, so you're way ahead of me...Sad

As for that Sweder character... his supplies of Sweder Brew are rapidly diminishing, and the brewer's determination to brew more of it greatly depends on the quality of cricketers sent out here :mad:

Or I might just brew some anyway. What the heck Wink The next batch can be the Stillwaddler 500 Harvest Ale. Hmm, kinda catchy donchathink?
Run. Just run.
07-07-2006, 07:30 AM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Or I might just brew some anyway. What the heck Wink The next batch can be the Stillwaddler 500 Harvest Ale. Hmm, kinda catchy donchathink?

As delighted and humbled as I was at the announcement of Swederbrew, I think Stllwaddler 500 Harvest Ale is The name Of The Year. A man could build a global franchise on a name like that . . .

Note to Andy: we have to get over there dude!Eek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

10-07-2006, 10:05 AM,
Sweder Wrote:Note to Andy: we have to get over there dude!Eek

Hmm, that woud call for an extra-special brew: maybe the "English Invasion Black Batch", an especially dark, high-powered, foreign stout.

Gosh I have a lot of beer to make...

...well I guess someone has to do it Big Grin
Run. Just run.
10-07-2006, 10:19 AM,
Hey Sweder, great name for a beer, I've always fancied having a go at the microbrewery lark, might just utilise it.

MLCM let us know when you make the black stuff, we could do some virtual tasting perhaps? I Like your London Pride glass, I bought a LP water bottle at the FLM expo

One of my current favourites is Batemans Combined Harvest - come to think of it, most of the extra weight I'm currently carrying has to be due to the excellent ales drunk during the World cup, might just be forced back on the g&t for a while :-(

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  June- life's a bitch and then there is no more running stillwaddler 22 11,499 16-07-2008, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man