Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oktoberfest
17-10-2006, 11:16 PM,
Oktoberfest
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:And maybe on recent form Andy's site should be renamed http://www.runninguphillscommentary.co.uk

It's definitely all uphill for me at the moment, so I'll bear that in mind... Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
22-10-2006, 09:09 AM,
Oktoberfest
I had a mind to take my training off the treadmill and into the mountains, and so planned a trek to Hartz Mountain, about 90 minutes south of here on the edge of the south-west wilderness (read cold, wet, windy, wretched, but beautiful with it). That I scheduled for Friday, but Friday turned out even wetter and bleaker than usual, with weather alerts, snow and all the usual stuff which gives one a fabulous excuse for watching the football with a few beers instead.

However, given that it was a Friday, I opted instead for a trek into the milder country north of here to visit a few old haunts, a few new ones, and to try out a new lens for the camera (see some results below).

One of the nostalgic things I did was to visit the town of Bothwell, and there went to the Castle Hotel, which is the pub where my Dad first bought me a beer, on the way to one of our fishing trips in the highlands. That was way back in 1978. I was certainly under age then, but working already, and that was good enough for my old man. Licensing laws weren't as strict in those days anyhow, and a blind eye was happily turned. This was my first return visit since then, and not a whole lot had changed. Bothwell is a largely sheep-farming district, and one of a number of towns in the region named after the old mother country - Bothwell, Hamilton, Ouse ... Pembroke etc. About the only token English thing about the Castle Hotel (apart from the name) however was a motley old stuffed fox on the wall. But pride of place actually went to a huge stuffed trout - 24 lb 8 oz in the old money, caught in nearby Lake Crescent in 1987. Anyone familiar with trout will realise this is a monster, and it held my attention for some considerable time.

A blazing fire in the open fireplace was the only other vaguely English thing about the place. In other respects the pub was totally ocker, with the public bar full of local happily cursing farmers and shearers, all of them young - mostly in their 20s and wearing battered old Motley Crue etc T-shirts and caps. They looked like kids and made me feel old. To think the last time I sat in that bar many of them weren't even born Eek

It all seemed weirdly incongruous. None of your gentleman farmer types with old money and 8 litre Bentleys here - they all had battered Holden utes with bull bars and spotlights and were happy to sit on the kerb outside drinking stubbies of beer and discussing football and irrigation systems.

To say I felt out of place would be an understatement. And yet that humble public bar held a significant place in my memory - a special part of the formative years of bonding between a teenage son and his dad...

Anyway, I had a couple of beers for Dad and moved on, probably never to return. Sad, really.

And this has what to do with running/training? Er, well, probably not a lot really. And yet, it seems to be the kind of thing that other runners understand and empathise with. There's something about this kind of introspection and soul-searching that unifies runners with a special kinship...

...or maybe it's just the beer Smile

Either way, I'm marking it down as cross-training, if only because it's an important part of mental preparation Rolleyes

Anyway, moving right along... Saturday was forecast to be better, with showers clearing by lunchtime, and so I did head south to Hartz Mountain for a decent ascent. For the full pictorial story, head here*. Suffice to say that the weather was actually pretty foul, but the end result was that I had a good hill climb, albeit in full survival gear (i.e. wet weather gear, boots and thermals). However I was very pleased with my overall strength and in particular, my stamina in what were difficult conditions, so the treadmill training in recent weeks has definitely been paying off Smile

Today has been an early rest day, as the tricky descent yesterday down the mountain played mild havoc with my knees which aren't used to descending steep, knee-jarring, ankle-twisting mountain sides any more!

But back to a more usual routine tomorrow.

So far so good Smile

*In particular, those equating Australia with sunburnt plains and drought may like to take a look!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Run. Just run.
22-10-2006, 03:14 PM,
Oktoberfest
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:In other respects the pub was totally ocker, with the public bar full of local happily cursing farmers and shearers
Blimey! I knew there had to be more than one.
I trust he greeted you in customary fashion?

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-10-2006, 03:25 PM,
Oktoberfest
Blooming marvellous adventure MLCMan; how I envy you the extreme weather! Still, things are, err, hotting up here on that front (shurely shome mishtake - Ed).

I totally get the feeling you had going back to the bar. It's stuff like this that helps you slot things into perspective, and keeps the important memories alive. Your old man probably went back in there from time to time and enjoyed his side of the memory just as you did yours. A fine reason for a beer and a post I'd say.

The Hartz Mountain montage is a breathtaking pictorial; some truly bleak and spooky landscapes there. I think you took a wise course of action; maybe only 200 metres from the summit but you lived to tell the tale. Always a sign you've taken the right decision. History is littered with the bones of brave but stupid souls who didn't know when to turn back.

Even more pleasing to hear there's been no adverse physical reaction to 'real' eneavours. The Man is back!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-10-2006, 10:19 PM,
Oktoberfest
Excellent stuff MLCM.
I reckon you're doing all the right things in your preparation. Unfortunately I couldn't see your photos on Hartz mountain for some reason. Any chance of posting the best ones here?
23-10-2006, 11:18 AM,
Oktoberfest
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Unfortunately I couldn't see your photos on Hartz mountain for some reason. Any chance of posting the best ones here?

Sí amigo...

#1 Me in the carpark about to leave for the climb in unexpectedly snowy conditions.

#2 Heavy snow made the track "sluggish".

#3 Spectators came out to cheer me on despite the conditions (a Bennetts wallaby and her joey - just to prove it really is spring).

#4 The actual peak I was attempting to climb.

#5 Up on the higher slopes the vegetation was frozen solid.

#6 The point, just short of the summit where I had to turn back as the trail had vanished under 30cm of snow and visibility was rapidly reducing.

Do try the web site again - it was probably just slow loading on account of there being about 8Mbs of pics on the one page Smile

Run. Just run.
23-10-2006, 11:33 AM,
Oktoberfest
Sweder Wrote:Blimey! I knew there had to be more than one.
I trust he greeted you in customary fashion?

I suspect Sweder, that very few, if any of the blokes in the bar at Bothwell had ever heard of that Mr.Shearer - the football they were discussing very much centred around Bothwell's efforts in the local Aussie Rules football competition!
Run. Just run.
26-10-2006, 09:44 AM,
Oktoberfest
To be honest, the treadmill has been a bit boring lately. Convoluted explanation follows: This sad situation came about because a technician at work inadvertently deafened me a little while back - I was blasted with 1 kHz tone at above safe levels, resulting in some temporary hearing loss and tinnitus. This has meant that of late I've been unable to use my trusty mp3 player. And that in turn means that I have nothing to listen to whilst on the tready millstone. To play a CD or have the radio on at levels that can be heard above the noise of the treadmill annoys and irritates the neighbours*. And so the treadmill has become a little less enjoyable of late.

So there was nothing for it but to take to the hills again, literally. I therefore spent a rugged 4 hours today on the Tasman peninsula, a picturesque part of the island, full of quad-busting undulations and the odd reasonable hill. The pictures tell the story better I think:

#1 The first half of the track is a gentle hill climb through pleasant eucalypt forest.

#2 The second half however, consists of coastal up-and-down, alongside towering ocean-side cliffs up to 300m high. Challenging.

#3 One of the steeper climbs Smile

#4 Me, buggered, and it's only the half-way point.

It was a good excursion with much better weather than last time, and I am again reasonably well pleased with my strength and endurance, and especially heart rate recovery times. I'm not fast - maybe never will be - but I'm one heck of a lot fitter than I was a few weeks ago.

Of course the scenery was so much better than on the treadmill, but gosh it was a long way to the beer fridge!

MLCM.

* Other good ways to annoy and irritate your neighbours include parking in their driveway, tossing your garbage over their fence and setting fire to their cat.

Run. Just run.
26-10-2006, 10:26 PM,
Oktoberfest
This gets better and better MLCM. Particularly liked the kangaroo in the snow pic.
Did my race the other day... now it's your turn!Cool
27-10-2006, 02:39 AM,
Oktoberfest
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:This gets better and better MLCM. Particularly liked the kangaroo in the snow pic.
Did my race the other day... now it's your turn!Cool

Yes looking forward to your race report BB ... also yes, the furry little wallaby critters are very cute. Quite nice roasted on a spit, too Eek
Run. Just run.
31-10-2006, 02:19 PM,
Oktoberfest
I've gone a bit quiet again. I blame it on work, which is being a bit of a bastard. But I have big plans this weekend for another jaunt into the mountains - serious central highland style mountains this time ... it's going to be a hoot. And hopefully not too much snow this time.

But first I have some beer to drink, because I won't be able to take any with me Eek
Run. Just run.