'Used notes, easy to carry bags please'
Was another.

Don't do it Sparky -
Oops, too late Sad

[SIZE="1"]With apologies to E J Thribb[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

17-03-2009, 05:37 PM,
Plagiarists Corner
Enjoyed this from this afternoon's Fiver letters.
The Fiver is running a 'stupid lyrics' theme; stuff like Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak - you know,
'Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak
Somewhere in the town'

Somewhere near the jail, one would imagine chaps.

Anyway, some smart alec (Simon Doherty) had a pop at Elton John's lyrics to Rocket Man.

"I have to take issue with Simon Doherty taking issue with the lyrics of Elton John's Rocket Man (yesterday's worst lyrics), because I am a rocket scientist (actually Professor of Space Science at the Open University) and: 'Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids' - dead right, you couldn't argue with that. 'In fact it's cold as hell' - factually correct, surface temperature typically between -40 and -100 deg. C. 'And there's no one there to raise them if you did' - we haven't found any life on Mars so again correct (but we are still looking).

So full marks to Elton John and zero to Simon Doherty!" -
Professor John Zarnecki.

18-03-2009, 06:01 AM,
Plagiarists Corner
The thing that frequently grates with me is when a songwriter decides it's a good idea to state "I'd die for you" and then struggles to come up with anything decent that rhymes with it: e.g. "I'd lie for you" (woo), "I'd cry for you" (double woo), "I'd fry for you" (I'm making that up). After so many poor attempts, you'd think they'd have learned by now.
18-03-2009, 10:58 AM,
Plagiarists Corner
marathondan Wrote:The thing that frequently grates with me is when a songwriter decides it's a good idea to state "I'd die for you" and then struggles to come up with anything decent that rhymes with it: e.g. "I'd lie for you" (woo), "I'd cry for you" (double woo), "I'd fry for you" (I'm making that up). After so many poor attempts, you'd think they'd have learned by now.

What about "I'd dry for you", as in "You wash, I'll dry"? It has the added poetic benefit of the repeated initial D which creates a marked sense of intensifying passion.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
18-03-2009, 12:10 PM,
Plagiarists Corner
Whitesnake recorded a ditty called 'Would I lie to you'.
It contains the fabulous pre-fade-out killer line
Would I lie to you honey
Just to get in your pants

Who says romance is dead?