Ashes
23-11-2006, 07:02 AM,
Ashes
In the words of the incomporable Coleman -

[SIZE="4"]Won nil![/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

23-11-2006, 07:30 AM,
Ashes
Australia look set for 600. Ponting looks like he could stay there for days. The big question is how England bat now. There are obviously runs to be had. Let's see if we can hang on for a draw.

I watched the first over last night before going to bed. That first ball by Harmison -- ouch!
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-11-2006, 08:24 AM,
Ashes
From Andy's blog...
Quote:But I'll watch when I can, in the hope of glimpsing some drama.

Quite so Andy. Watch all 5 (count them f-i-v-e days) and you may see about 30 seconds of drama as someone (probably in the England slips) drop a dolly of a catch..:o
23-11-2006, 06:57 PM,
Ashes
As one of the local commentators said, "A good day for Australia, but it's still nil-all".

Ah, five whole days of drama, bliss. Life doesn't get much better than an Ashes series Smile
Run. Just run.
23-11-2006, 09:48 PM,
Ashes
Seafront Plodder Wrote:From Andy's blog...

Quite so Andy. Watch all 5 (count them f-i-v-e days) and you may see about 30 seconds of drama as someone (probably in the England slips) drop a dolly of a catch..:o

Actually, I quite like this strange Aussie habit of starting the action at midnight. I can watch a few minutes, then go to bed without guilt. When I wake up, I catch up with the last half hour or so live, just to feel some involvement, listen to the news and watch the replays, then get on with my life. None of this wasting-all-day stuff. Big Grin
El Gordo

24-11-2006, 01:18 AM,
Ashes
My favorite quote of the series so far comes from a comedian taking part in Five Live's Saturday morning show, Fighting Talk.
The question, posed last Saturday, was 'how excited are you about the start of the Ashes?'

'It's going to be on Five Live Sports Extra isn't it?' he said by way of reply.
'They've got ball by ball coverage apparently.

Ball . . . by ball . . . by ball . . . by ball . . . by ball . . . by ball . . . '

Not a fan of the Ashes then.

24-11-2006, 03:40 AM,
Ashes
andy Wrote:None of this wasting-all-day stuff. Big Grin

Wash your mouth out!

Besides, it is written in the scriptures* that the time spent watching the game of cricket shall not be deducted from your allotted span.

*[SIZE="1"]In the Gospel of St. Ricky. Also mentioned in the Book of Boons, and the Acts of the Middle Order.[/SIZE]
Run. Just run.
24-11-2006, 07:55 AM,
Ashes
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Wash your mouth out!
Besides, it is written in the scriptures* that the time spent watching the game of cricket shall not be deducted from your allotted span.

Ah, but that depends whether or not you have God on your side.

And I don't mean Flintoff....
El Gordo

24-11-2006, 08:15 AM,
Ashes
andy Wrote:Ah, but that depends whether or not you have God on your side.

And I don't mean Flintoff....
No.
You mean Dylan, right?

As Tommy Cooper once said to the librarian when he arrived with his trousers rolled up above his knees: there's a turn-up for the books; Sweder accusing Andy of wreckless enthusiasm and positivity. Sadly that's exactly what putting your hard-earned - or in this case, ill-gotten - on our brave boys batting out a draw in Brisbane is.

And there's no point shouting at me, either.
Good to my word I dragged SP along to see Motorhead last night in Portsmouth. We purloined a stage-side view, an excellent vantage point from which to view the best band in rock n roll deliver in (aces of) spades.
Sadly I canee hear a bloody thing now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

24-11-2006, 08:22 AM,
Ashes
Sweder Wrote:Good to my word I dragged SP along to see Motorhead last night in Portsmouth. We purloined a stage-side view, which was an excellent vantage point from which to view the best band in rock n roll deliver in (aces of) spades.
Sadly I canee hear a bloody thing now.

Motorhead on chairs (band and on-lookers)? Crikey, sign of the times?

Full report eagerly awaited on what SP had to smile about......
El Gordo

24-11-2006, 10:51 AM,
Ashes
Amazing Sweder! One miracle down, all you need to do now for sainthood is to get SP along to a cricket match Smile
Run. Just run.
24-11-2006, 11:38 AM,
Ashes
andy Wrote:Motorhead on chairs (band and on-lookers)? Crikey, sign of the times?

Full report eagerly awaited on what SP had to smile about......

Chairs???:mad:
We don't need no steeenking chairs . . . that's a flight case he's parked on mate.

As for the smile . . . well he'd just waved to the crowd (just visible in the smokey distance) and also seen the playlist - yes, his favorite song of all time was on it . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOjESmbNwNg
[SIZE="1"]Questionable sound quality; yes, yes, very funny . . .[/SIZE]

24-11-2006, 03:12 PM,
Ashes
I'm allegedly getting a call 'live on air' from Nikki Horne at Planet Rock tonight after 8pm.
He's going to ask me how it (Motorhead) all went.

Posted the above on U-Tube but might have to remove soon if anyone gets peed off about it.

25-11-2006, 08:30 AM,
Ashes
Wow, Cecil B. de Sweder!

Nice work, good commentary, albeit a strong accent Confused Couldn't quite make out those rabbits, either. You did say "rabbits" didn't you? Good to to be able to put a voice to that face, but.
Run. Just run.
25-11-2006, 10:41 AM,
Ashes
Sweder Wrote:I'm allegedly getting a call 'live on air' from Nikki Horne at Planet Rock tonight after 8pm.
He's going to ask me how it (Motorhead) all went.

Just heard it, well done, though you forgot to mention me, you ungrateful bugger. Taped the show as I watching the football at the time. It wouldn't be fair to post the interview as an MP3 though, would it....... Eek
El Gordo

25-11-2006, 11:22 AM,
Ashes
Post and be damned.
I'd like to hear it - it went out live, and I've yet to get to grips with recording MP3s off the DAB.

I had a great chat with NH off air. He may be moving to Lewes, and I offered to steer him through the pub maze. Could be the start of a beautiful friendship.

I reminded him that despite being an old git myself I used to listen to his Your Mother Wouldn't Like It show from under the duvet when I still lived at home with my Mum! He was less chuffed to hear that. This is the second occasion I've won a prize involving the diminutive Rock Jock. In 1978 I won tickets to see the Stranglers at the Hope & Anchor in Islington. Up until last week that was my favorite live music moment. It's been surpassed only by the look on SPs face when Motorhead cranked up the full PA for their shoundcheck. Priceless!

25-11-2006, 11:50 AM,
Ashes
Sweder Wrote:Post and be damned.
I'd like to hear it - it went out live, and I've yet to get to grips with recording MP3s off the DAB.

I'm just off out for a run but will do it later. I downloaded some audio editing software a while back and this seems like a good little project.
El Gordo

25-11-2006, 04:51 PM,
Ashes
This is just the interview (3 mb):
http://www.runningcommentary.net/audio/ash_short.mp3

And this is the interview preceded by SP's favourite tune, to get you in the mood (6mb):
http://www.runningcommentary.net/audio/ash_longer.mp3
El Gordo

26-11-2006, 01:35 AM,
Ashes
Good stuff.

I think Thin Lizzy was the 'heaviest' band I saw live. Saw them at the old Tram Shed in Leeds. They had some great guitarists over the years.

But I was shocked to hear the interview. I thought you were Scottish, Sweder! Now why would I think that? Strange.
26-11-2006, 09:04 AM,
Ashes
I'm sure that Private Eye's mythical rock band Heavy Sausage would have blown everyone else away, but alas they were never heard outside the head of Peter Cook.

I couldn't say who the biggest thrashers I ever saw live might be. I saw quite a lot of bands in the 70s and early 80s, before accoustic/folk music became my live music of choice. Certainly the loudest I can remember were The Who. I worked at Wembley Arena at the time, and got front row seats for both nights.

Has anyone ever seen The Hamsters? http://www.thehamsters.co.uk/ I've been trying to get to one of their gigs for years but I'm never in the right place at the right time, or they clash with some other commitment. People either know about The Hamsters, or don't, in which case they just laugh at their name. Like I did. I've still never heard any of their music, but I know I'd enjoy it. They never stop touring. Hmm. And I see they're doing their Hendrix/ZZ Top show in Reading next Friday....
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ashes 2010 Sweder 11 5,645 14-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Last Post: Sweder
  Ashes to Ashes Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 26 10,057 24-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  The Ashes, baby! Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 33 11,594 21-07-2009, 01:33 PM
  Ashes 4th Test Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 2 1,595 28-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Ashes 3rd Test Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man 14 5,094 23-12-2006, 08:55 AM