Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any chess players on here?
08-01-2007, 09:46 AM,
Sweder Wrote:SP will be spitting feathers.
He's bad enough with test match cricket and that only takes five days . . . Big Grin

I once played a game of chess with my brother that took just over 12 years to finish. We started out playing one move every year, at Christmas. But after 6 moves each we just got sick of it and finished the thing off...

...SP will doubtless be delighted to know it ended in a draw Smile
Run. Just run.
08-01-2007, 09:55 AM,
Seafront Plodder Wrote:.....or three and a half days. :p

[SIZE="1"]Thought I'd get that one in before MLC does.[/SIZE]

Nice. I'll pay that one SP Smile
Run. Just run.
08-01-2007, 10:06 AM,
andy Wrote:... Or of course you could play someone else. I've 3 'friendlies' on the go already against fellow-RC-ers.

My chessworld.net nick is MLC Man if anyone else wants a friendly while we're waiting.
Run. Just run.
08-01-2007, 10:23 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:My chessworld.net nick is MLC Man if anyone else wants a friendly while we're waiting.
Interesting... I found you as Mid Life Crisis Man as well. I've sent an invite to both logins.

BB, also please check your chess inbox.
08-01-2007, 10:32 PM,
marathondan Wrote:Interesting... I found you as Mid Life Crisis Man as well. I've sent an invite to both logins.

BB, also please check your chess inbox.

Ignore the full length name everyone, I couldn't register it. MLC Man is the valid one Smile
Run. Just run.
09-01-2007, 09:21 AM,
Hmm, no invites received, M'dan ... this chessworld.net is a bit of a bitch unless you cough up some readies.

Sad

Ah, OK now I see ... I tried inviting you, and it seems to go OK, but if you read the screen carefully, the fine print says "nuh matey, only full members can send game invites"... so that's it then - the site is pretty much useless to us it would seem.
Run. Just run.
09-01-2007, 09:43 AM,
I just came to the same conclusion... "You have selected the feature: Send unlimited game invites to players - choose from over 250,000 Members which is only available to full members of Chessworld.net".

Strange that I didn't notice that last night. I guess I was overcome with anticipation.

Is it worth looking at any other sites? freechess.org might be worth a try. Although firewalls might play havoc with the telnet interface.

Q: How many runners does it take to organise a chess tournament?
09-01-2007, 09:44 AM,
I don't know much about Chess, MLCMan, but I suspect you need a soupcon more patience than that Big Grin

Of course you could play Doom Chess, although I council caution before taking up the rocket launcher . . . Eek

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-01-2007, 08:41 PM,
I'm just got around to registering the user name 'Splodder'.

Can't wait to see what happens now. Rolleyes

Incedentally, if you want a 'real time' game that's finished in one session, register at http://zone.msn.com/en/root/default.htm?&dr=t

From there you can play all sorts of games, including (my favourite) backgammon and chess.

Thanks

Seafront Karpov.
09-01-2007, 09:15 PM,
I've invited marathondan and splodder (good onomatopoeic name) to a game.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-01-2007, 10:16 PM,
andy Wrote:I've invited marathondan and splodder (good onomatopoeic name) to a game.
Have at thee, knave!

Seafront Plodder Wrote:I'm just got around to registering the user name 'Splodder'.

Can't wait to see what happens now.
Unfortunately SP what I think happens is that you get to play against Andy. Er, and that's it. He must have about 20 games on the go at the moment; I'm hoping he's losing concentration.
09-01-2007, 10:20 PM,
marathondan Wrote:Unfortunately SP what I think happens is that you get to play against Andy. Er, and that's it. He must have about 20 games on the go at the moment; I'm hoping he's losing concentration.
Perhaps one of your could keep his attention whilst the others sneak up behind him . . .

. . . I'll get me cloak Sad

16-01-2007, 07:51 PM,
I'm in the middle of a game with Andy at the moment, and it's tediously dull.

Let me re-phrase that: I'm not saying that Andy or our game is dull :o merely the format of up to 10 days for a move. : phew :

Ok that might be lightening by the standards described by MLC in this thread, but I really have to say that I'd prefer real time.

To while away the time waiting for my opponent to move * I sneaked a look at the chess forums. They are full of such gems as :

On move 11, I would have played Nd2. After you moved your pawn to e5, you have cleared the e4 square. It would have been best to occupy e4 with a piece, and Nd2 aims to play Ne4.

On move 16, you played g3. This provided your opponent with the chance to open the h-file which won him the game. If you just let your h and g pawns sit still until he moved his forward, you could have kept both the g and h files closed.
Your g3 pawn is what Nimzovich would have called the objective, a pawn that will be forcibly exchanged with another pawn opening a file.

[SIZE="1"]* Granted he has about eleventeen games on the go at any one time...[/SIZE]

Ho hum...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

16-01-2007, 08:32 PM,
OK, if you're around this evening, we can fight to the death if you wish.
El Gordo

16-01-2007, 10:10 PM,
andy Wrote:OK, if you're around this evening, we can fight to the death if you wish.

I tried.... god knows I tried.
El Gordo

16-01-2007, 10:57 PM,
Yes SP, when Andy was talking about breaking the 5 hours for the marathon, I didn't realise he was referring to a chess game. Rolleyes
Run. Just run.
17-01-2007, 01:10 PM,
Nowhere near as slow as our cricketing heroes.
It took them 71 days to register a win . . .

. . . and then it was only over the wannabes from next door Big Grin I've abandoned all hope of ever playng chess and taken up Doom instead - much more my cuppa tea . . .

17-01-2007, 01:18 PM,
Sweder Wrote:I've abandoned all hope of ever playng chess and taken up Doom instead - much more my cuppa tea . . .
That's OK - video games can now be included as part of your fitness regime. (Doom on that particular platform would be interesting.)
05-04-2007, 09:38 AM,
Andy and I are still hard at it. Up to about move 24 I think. Confusednore:

Anyone else still going?
05-04-2007, 10:35 AM,
Andy;

If you want a real challenge my mother-in-law was Maharashtra State Champion in her youth and would relish a game of chess with you.

She only checks her eMail about once-a-week. But if you're interested I can provide you her details.

Be warned though, they take their chess very seriously in India. I think the family's flat in Pune was a government prize resulting from her chess achievements.

I remember fondly watching her demolish some unsuspecting young man in Leeds City Centre on one of those oversized sets.

Are you up-to the challenge?