Seasonal Greetings
25-12-2006, 12:29 AM,
Seasonal Greetings
Hope all RC folk have a grand break from work, wherever you happen to be.

I slipped on some leaves on a dark, wet path in midweek and have managed to twist an ankle. I don't think it's too serious now, but it was swollen and painful for a couple of days. It means I've not run properly since Monday, and probably will have to do without the traditional Christmas morning run. A pretty dismal end to a year that had some great early highlights, but has ended in some frustration.

Still, we've all been doing this long enough now to know that you can always clear the decks and start again, and that's what I'll have to plan for. If I can get a decent run in before the end of the year I'll feel much better. My only target now is to get to the starting line at Almeria. I'm sure I can do it, but I have to take it easy, then ramp up pretty hard. No chance of a record time but just want to get round now. If I do -- WHEN I do -- it will be a good boost for some much tougher targets over the year ahead.

In the meantime, I hope Santa brings you what you asked for. I know what I want....

Cheers all, and thank you for another rollercoaster RC year.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
25-12-2006, 03:34 PM,
Seasonal Greetings
HAPPY CHRISTMAS, everybody.

I´m sorry you´re injured, Andy. I hope you get better soon.

I´m looking forward to meeting all of you in Almería by the end of January.

¡FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Antonio

26-12-2006, 12:47 AM,
Seasonal Greetings
anlu247 Wrote:HAPPY CHRISTMAS, everybody.

I´m sorry you´re injured, Andy. I hope you get better soon.

I´m looking forward to meeting all of you in Almería by the end of January.

¡FELIZ NAVIDAD!

Antonio

Thanks Antonio. I'm pretty certain it's not a serious injury. I went for a short walk this afternoon, less than 2 miles. I could feel the ankle but I think it was just a bad jar rather than actually straining or tearing anything. It would have stayed swollen longer if that was the case. I've had no great soreness following the walk, just the same twinge. I'll probably rest up again tomorrow, then have an easy 3 miles or so on Wednesday.
El Gordo

26-12-2006, 12:09 PM,
Seasonal Greetings
Hi Andy

Merry xmas, please please don't do what I did, injured my ankle and rushed straight back. I buggered all the ligaments up and continued running on it, took me over 12 months to get rid of all the problems that went with it, for the sake of a few more days.

take care

Paul
26-12-2006, 02:03 PM,
Seasonal Greetings
Thanks Paul, good advice. As I said, I genuinely don't think it's a serious injury but nevertheless, I'll take it very easy. A bit annoying though, as I have a few days off work and was hoping to enjoy the luxury of getting out in the daylight.

We'll see.
El Gordo

27-12-2006, 02:08 PM,
Seasonal Greetings
Andy

Us runners are not very good at sitting at home, I did a long 2 hour session yesterday, my right thigh is sore today, bit of a strain. I am itching to go out but the small bit of common sense I possess says give it a day off, but I'm going out tomorrow.

Paul
29-12-2006, 12:16 AM,
Seasonal Greetings
Once you've tugged your ankle ligaments about a bit it's very easy to twist it again..and again... and again. You can strengthen your ankle and protect yourself from future injuries with a few simple exercises. Wriggle your feet around under the table while you're working with your computer. Try tracing the letters of the alphabet in the air (this sounds like one of Viz's handy hints, but I'm deadly serious). I've recently been strengthening my ankle by standing on one leg with my eyes shut for a minute before going to bed. I don't normally risk ruining other people's health by giving advice but ankles are my speciality....Oh, and all the best for the New Year Andy. Don't forget if you don't make the 2 Oceans Ultra-marathon you could always come over to do the Aquilianos at a far more leisurely pace...Smile
29-12-2006, 11:08 AM,
Seasonal Greetings
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Once you've tugged your ankle ligaments about a bit it's very easy to twist it again..and again... and again. You can strengthen your ankle and protect yourself from future injuries with a few simple exercises. Wriggle your feet around under the table while you're working with your computer. Try tracing the letters of the alphabet in the air (this sounds like one of Viz's handy hints, but I'm deadly serious). I've recently been strengthening my ankle by standing on one leg with my eyes shut for a minute before going to bed. I don't normally risk ruining other people's health by giving advice but ankles are my speciality....Oh, and all the best for the New Year Andy. Don't forget if you don't make the 2 Oceans Ultra-marathon you could always come over to do the Aquilianos at a far more leisurely pace...Smile

Cheers BB, and thanks for the reminder about the Aquilianos. Be careful what you wish for -- it's not at all impossible that I'll turn up!
El Gordo

29-12-2006, 09:35 PM,
Seasonal Greetings
BB
Never a true word, I have gone over about three times on my right ankle each time causes me grief, there again they are 47yrs old now and a bit worn out.
take care
Paul
08-01-2007, 01:31 PM,
Seasonal Greetings
Happy New Year to all at RC . Hope you all had a good one. Am fighting the Christams flab up here in the Northern damp and darkness, having at long last recovered from the flu thing over Christmas have given up the booze for January and am attempting a few plods.

(Andy - what has your Gramin been doing to you??)
08-01-2007, 01:37 PM,
Seasonal Greetings
Well met Stillwaddler!
Good to hear you're out and about. Hows about the new boy then? Pretty impressive I reckon . . .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

08-01-2007, 04:52 PM,
Seasonal Greetings
He'll do for me!! He fitted right in and looked like he'd played for the Red Devils forever didn't he. Mind you Ole is still doing the business. Can't wait to go to a match again. Haven't been since the Benfica game, was absolutely hoarse and exhasuted at the finish :-)