02-01-2007, 12:22 PM,
January
Tuesday 2nd January

Cold wind, dead wind,
Vicious headwind
Devil take this wheel spin
Got to get the mileage in

Meet the new mud, same as the old mud.
An overnight dousing left a layer of slop atop the slurry. Fans of Fred Flintstone will recall his unique ‘twinkle toes’ bowling style which I adopted, slipping cautiously onto the downs. The sun strained towards the clear winter sky, a cloud-shaped duvet preserving the great orb’s modesty as it rose above the Cliff.

Chilled to the core I lumbered stablesward, hounds bounding merrily ahead as I daydreamed of warm beds and hot coffee. Devoid of musical distractions my thoughts turned to the panto season and I started to construct my own seasonal show.

José and his Amazing Technicolour Dreamboat is the story of a worried man seeking divine intervention. One day a heavenly voice appears in his ear-piece calling for The Special One to travel East to seek a saviour. Taking up his coat of many shades of charcoal he travels to the Ukraine whereupon he catches Sheva, a falling star, and puts him in his pocket. Sadly Sheva finds his way into the pockets of many defenders, rendering him impotent and forlorn. José decries Sheva as a wastrel and, with a defiant gesture towards the great god Roman, embraces his prodigal son Didier who has stood resolute throughout.

By the time I ground to a halt, belching steam like some monstrous locomotive, I'd yet to finish the story. Stamford Bridge burning whilst Roman fiddles, perhaps?

Welcome then to 2007, where less remains more.
I start the year weighing in at a flabby 92.5 kilos but with hope in my heart, a muddy grin on my chops, weilding a slightly rusty iron will.

May the road rise to meet you.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-01-2007, 01:07 PM,
January
Dear Sweder and rest of Marathon-Runners of this forum,chemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

First of all, I would like to introduce myself: I’m Ana and I apologize for my English. My mother tongue is Spanish (I’m so sorry…Wink, so I hope that you can forgive me if I do not achieve to write in an understood way...

I have found Sweder “par hazard”, pure coincidence. Across their (magnetic) chronics he has talked of one friend of mine. His commentary was pure and natural, in the way that he usually expresses his point of view. It was just a little mention, no more than two lines… And he has really described and found out the spirit of my friend so precisely, that I was obliged to continue reading all their fluent histories, even if it is difficult for me and I do not understand everything J (I’m not very good in English), even if I’m rather sceptic about internet’s friendships, and even if I do not jogging at all!

Hey! You!!, do not stop reading!!! Regarding this matter… I hope all of you would accept me, at least just for reading your commentaries (I promise do not disturb too much, only regularly reading!...). Because, talking about jogging…

First and foremost, I am too faraway from you in order to joining you going jogging together and, secondly, I must recognise that in winter time I only run occasionally at my Sport Club’s running belt, 10 minutes maximal (my Spanish genetic is just the opposite to your love for nasty weather). As compensation, I tell all of you that I like going swimming one hour every day! Ok, ok, sometimes the last 15 minutes used to take place at the sauna… J

Yes, I realise that for all of you swimming is not as exciting as running, but at least it is something very “liquid”, not as hydrating as a pint of beer, but … ehhh (SP must agree with me, doesn’t it?)…

I feel swimming wonderful. It makes you thinking a little bit, and that is great in our chaotic world. That’s remember me how I felt it was a pity that I cannot swimming hearing the music that everyone of you have proposed in your forum, for example. It is great how all of you share your commentaries: that shows the generosity of a friendship that only passionate people can share. It was great, to discover a group of people like all of you.

Ok, I know that nobody will not wonder if I get into Sweder’s “readers fan club” and from this moment on I declare that your forum has its own place in my “favourites”.

It’s enough…. I finish. I am not at your composition level (not only because of my English skills, even in my mother tongue it would be difficult to keep your step). I wanted just tell you that I will be here, reading all of you. Good running to everybody!

Ana
Ana Smile
02-01-2007, 01:39 PM,
January
Dear Ana,

I am truly honoured that you take the time to read the nonsense written here. You are most welcome to contribute to this forum. Some of our friends here run very little, and one or two not at all.

As for your English it is easy to understand and far, far better than any attempt I could make at writing in your mother tongue. It is a brave thing to write in another language - just ask SP!

Feliz Año Nuevo a usted y la tuya de sus nuevos amigos en el comentario corriente.

[SIZE="1"]I think that proves my point! Big Grin [/SIZE]

02-01-2007, 04:36 PM,
January
Welcome Ana, to the "Sweder’s readers fan club". I like that expression, and it pretty much sums up the forum at the moment.

We seem to have quite a few Spanish members of the forum now, so you'll fit right in. Your English is actually rather better than our own, particularly after a few beers, so don't worry about that. As for not being much of a runner, I wouldn't worry about that either. If you occasionally do 10 minutes at your sports club, you do more than most of us. Big Grin

Whereabouts in Spain are you? Some of us will be in Almeria at the end of the month for their famous half marathon.

Enjoy your stay here at RunningCommentary, and just ask if there's something you don't understand.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-01-2007, 05:04 PM,
January
Hola, Ana

Welcome to this friendly forum. It´s great to have another Spaniard in the forum.

I´d love to have more time to go to a gym, do some gymnastcis and take a sauna. I should go for a swim at least once a week but I find swimming boring and I get tired too soon. However, I think it is a very complete sport.

Saludos desde Almería y feliz año nuevo.

Antonio

02-01-2007, 10:13 PM,
January
Dear All,

Thanks to everybody for your really warm welcome. I alreally have suspected that there were another Spaniard people among you.Smile I promise to tray jogging a little bit in order to be able of talk about it. Rolleyes Yes, it sounds like a "New Year’s Intention", those that are finished on mi-January, the larger period after we give up… But this time, I can try because we have a surprising “hyper-hot” winter (without snow, no cold…Confused )
Talking about New Year’s Intentions, my swimming pool and all the sport facilities were full today… So, it was difficult to keep long-time swimming, so that very early I was drinking something with my sister at the bar.
Not a beer, because today is only Tuesday.
I live very far away of Almería, I live near Madrid in a very nice city called Alcalá de Henares. I know that everybody is training for that Half Matathon. You should be ready for high temperatures, even on January…
So, specially Sweder, who has taken a lot of weight this Xmas, try to run a little bit more and eat a little bit less.
I read you tomorrow; I think that everybody of you are already running in this moment.
Bye,
Ana Smile
02-01-2007, 10:33 PM,
January
Ana Wrote:Not a beer, because today is only Tuesday.

You don't drink beer on Tuesdays? Why is that?!

And welcome to the forum, by the way Smile
Run. Just run.
02-01-2007, 11:48 PM,
January
Ana Wrote:Dear All,
So, specially Sweder, who has taken a lot of weight this Xmas, try to run a little bit more and eat a little bit less.

Very good advice, Ana.

We keep telling him this, but he won't listen to us. Eek
El Gordo

03-01-2007, 09:54 AM,
January
It is not so bad. A look at Sweder’s photo is sufficient to note how he just need DO NOT TO EAT AT ALL during the whole month, for getting fit again.
Ok, everybody knows that he is just complaining, in order to impress everybody winning the Almería half Marathon…
Regarding my self prohibition of drinking beer “on Tuesdays”, it is just a compensation for the New Year’s Eve, because I still feel myself stinking alcohol. My first day of the year took place lying down, watching long films. Exactly, I was half sleeping it off during a romantic and endless English film: Jane Eyre… It is really incredible how our mentality has changed and evolves in only 150 years (three, four generations?). Even though, I found out really charming and idealistic XIX century’s point of view. Isn’t it?
Have a nice day everybody
Ana Smile
03-01-2007, 12:28 PM,
January
Ana Wrote:It is not so bad. A look at Sweder’s photo is sufficient to note how he just need DO NOT TO EAT AT ALL during the whole month, for getting fit again.
It's a fair point well made, Ana.
If I could lay off the Guinness and extra helpings of supper I could challenge the mighty Haile in Almería. Sadly I have no self-discipline, plus i spend way too much time with Seafront Plodder who is a bad influence.

On that subject the great SP confirms we won't be in Spain with us this time. A sad loss.

Ana, if you enjoyed Jayne Eyre you will love Sense and Sensibilities. A simply wonderful piece of period film-making. Have you seen Pan's labyrinth yet? I'd like to hear the Spanish view on this film some time.

03-01-2007, 09:25 PM,
January
Dear Sweder,

I will keep it in mind, thanks! I still have not seen Pan's labyrinth. Main reason is simple: Spanish Cinema seems to obsessed about just-one-unique-monothematic-subject: "Spanish Civil War". As a result, we begin to be boring about it and by deciding which film to choose, we always think: oh! No!, another one, again... Antonio "Anlu", don't you agree with me?

Anyway, this film has exceptional good critics and seems to be really well made and different, thanks to the particular effects of the Mexican Mr. del Toro. So I hope giving you soon my own (and Spanish) opinion.

Reviewing last Spanish films. I would like to recommend all of you "Los Borgia", which recreates the life of this italian family, whose rich and influent father becomes Pope. It is a very credible historical film. I'd recommend the germane adaptation of "Perfume, The history of a murderer" as well.

As for SP, it will be brave if both of you change your own roles, so that you can turn into a good influence for him. As far as I can read, I am really worried about him: he only loves pints of beer and other similar stuff; just a little bit as MLCMan, but according with his name, MLCrisisM has the excuse of been going through a crisisBig Grin

Do not worry MLCM and please, do never take this remark into account. I am joking, or even worst, it should be rather me:o who must be going through a crisis. Otherwise, how to explain this last lack of politeness?

I was really joking, I am not the person most indicate for this kind of commentaries. Drinking some beers with friends is the best sport of the world. So cheers, cheers and cheers to everybodySmile
Ana Smile
04-01-2007, 12:32 AM,
January
Dear Ana,

fear not for SP, he is a good man in spite of himself.
I'm not sure I can save his soul from drink, or if he wants to be saved, but I'll do my best.

I'm interested in the movie Perfume. I saw a 'teaser trailer' recently - a small clip designed to wet your appetite for the film. I also heard a review by Mark Kermode, the film critic that Andy referred to. He recommends the film, although one of the listeners to his radio broadcast e-mailed to say that they read the book and that Perfume is 'a nasty little tale'.
It sounds like my sort of thing Smile

Please don't worry about 'pulling our legs' in the forum.
We are all disrespectful to each other on a regular basis. This is an odd form of endearment - at least I hope it is Wink

04-01-2007, 07:30 AM,
January
Ana Wrote:Do not worry MLCM and please, do never take this remark into account. I am joking, or even worst, it should be rather me:o who must be going through a crisis. Otherwise, how to explain this last lack of politeness?

I was really joking, I am not the person most indicate for this kind of commentaries. Drinking some beers with friends is the best sport of the world. So cheers, cheers and cheers to everybodySmile

Ana, I can see you are going to fit in very well Big Grin

Anyone who is rude (especially to SP), drinks beer and has at one time or another been for a run in their life is very welcome here Smile
Run. Just run.
04-01-2007, 04:04 PM,
January
It seems that everybody is nervous, preparing the half marathon… I was regarding the almeria halfmarathon web page. It is well made, Antonio. I’ve take a look at last year’s lists but haven’t found any English names! Eek Ah! You were perhaps hidden among organization staff??? I’m quitting you for going swimming. I do not feel very well due to cakes. I should still buy some presents; Xmas is not still finish for us. Any idea for a 15 Euro (23 Pounds) present? My friends and me we play the game “Secret Santa”. I should look for a gift for a (smoker) boy.
Ana Smile
04-01-2007, 04:39 PM,
January
Hello, Ana

If you look for them well, you will find Sweder and Andy in last year´s results.

I agree with you in the topic of the Spanish Civil War. It has been too often used. Unfortunately, I don´t have much time to go to the cinema or watch films on TV or DVD but I like watching films a lot.

You could come this year and take part in the "!0 kilómetros saludables" ( 10 km fun run ). You can do that distance in 2 hours 20 minutes. So, even walking you will get in time. That way, we all could meet you. You can come by plane, train, coach, car, even on bicycle.Smile

For 15 euros you could get a CD or a novel for him. It depends on his likes. If he likes David Bisbal, you can get his last CD, "Premonición". If he likes reading, perhaps a novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. The last one is "Corsarios de Levante".

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

04-01-2007, 07:56 PM,
January
Ana Wrote:I should look for a gift for a (smoker) boy.

How about some nicotine patches?
El Gordo

04-01-2007, 09:36 PM,
January
This diary reminds me of the US Government synthesiser in Close Encounters of The Third Kind;
it's taken on a life all its own Eek

In an effort to return to the central theme of (ahem) my running I'm preparing a missive on tonight's punitive roadside run Smile

04-01-2007, 10:31 PM,
January
Ana Wrote:As for SP, it will be brave if both of you change your own roles, so that you can turn into a good influence for him. As far as I can read, I am really worried about him: he only loves pints of beer and other similar stuff;

Yes well what you have to remember Ana is that it is only Sweder who makes any reference to (my) Guinness drinking. And guess what? Every time he does, he's right there with me!Eek

What does that tell you?
04-01-2007, 11:00 PM,
January
Blimey, the year’s barely into its fourth day and here I am missing a morning run. The alarm, the latest Nokia mobile dog-leash, was in severe danger of an early bath in the frog pond that sits directly below my bedroom window. It’s all been too much lately; Christmas, New Year, parties, relatives, visitors, alcohol and then last night’s visit to the Dominion Theatre with Mrs S’s Mum on her 79th birthday to see We Will Rock You. (For the record they did, totally).

But this is no way to carry on; there’s work to be done, miles to be banked. Once I’d reached the point of no return, or in this case no chance of getting out before work, I decided on self-flagellation. I opted for the same penalty as the last time I gave myself a talking to about my running, almost a year ago to the day; a run along the dreaded, soul-less A27 after work. And thanks to the sun only working half days at this time of year it’ll not only be cold and boring but extremely dark.

I rushed home from work actually looking forward to the run. I rarely spend time pounding pavements, preferring the soft caress of mud and grass and the benefits enjoyed by my creaking joints. But with a long, arduous road race ahead I’m aware that concrete or asphalt mileage is required to ‘acclimatise’ the limbs. It took ten minutes to swap work clothes for shorts and long sleeve top and I was out the door with a cheery wave to the family.
‘What about your Spag Bol?’ cried Mrs S from the living room.
‘Microwave. See you in a bit.’
And I was off into the night.

A half mile in and I’d left the artificial lights of the town and joined once more with the busy road that stretches from Lewes to Brighton. Stars shone above like sequins stitched into an inky black canvas. A blue glow on the edge of the surrounding hills suggested a fair-sized moon was not too far away from an appearance. This would be most welcome as trying to pick out safe footing along the ravaged cycle path in the dark was no picnic. Add to this the blinding headlights of the on-rushing traffic and a persistent, strengthening headwind and I was finding the going a little tough. Just shy of two miles I passed the Texaco garage, all neon and fluorescent lights against the hulking shadows of the downs. The path narrows here and I tried to take up a position between the curb, where less than a metre away cars and trucks hurtled past at sixty miles per hour, and the hedgerow. It’s a fine line between lethal traffic and sinister barbed tentacles snaking out of the darkness to scratch flesh and snag fabric.

An assessment of form yielded disappointment. Rather like when you find the left-over left-overs lurking at the back of your ’fridge well into the New Year I felt slightly ashamed. Extra poundage and lack of road form colluded against me. It’s one thing to see the evidence of your indulgence register on the scales, but I feel heavy. Not only that I feel slow, to; cumbersome. It might all be psychological nonsense but hey, we all need something to whine about, right? Besides - lest I forget – this is about banking miles. No medals tonight, no PBs, just steady plodding, burning fat, toughening legs.

The path to Falmer, my intended turning point at just about four miles from home, climbs steadily for the last half-mile, and I was pleased to note my effort increasing easily with the slope. I’ve always attacked hills. They need to be shown who’s boss. If you fold under pressure and give in to their gravity-induced negativism you’re done for, so best get the pedal to the metal and get ‘em out the way. I was in the process of doing just that when a light from the rear caused me to look round sharply.
‘Cheers mate!’ as the cyclist, head down, legs churning against the hill, whistled past. I lumbered after him feeling a little less cocky and more than slightly un-nerved as his bobbing yellow back disappeared into the gloom.

At the turn, puffing indecently close to the bright lights and warm hearth of the Swan Inn alongside the Falmer footbridge, I realised I was going to enjoy the homeward leg. Up here above the motorway the breeze became a wind, a useful ally as I set off toward home. I lengthened my stride on the downslope, estimating the same distance took half the number of steps needed on the ascent. The traffic, still busy and zooming past, came from behind now; rather than dazzle the headlamps helped pick out the pavement ahead as the treacherous brambles seemed to recoil from the light.

Overhead clouds knitted together to blot out the stars but La Bella Luna was up there, illuminating the places where the clouds overlapped, accentuating the appearance of a celestial duvet. As I watched the blankets parted and an almost full moon beamed through the gap, quite splendidly seated in the heavens. I grinned, gunning the gams to beat a path for home.

I fair flew back (by my modest standards). Even the kilometre climb to the Prison failed to slow me down, my head full of races past and those yet to come, a constant commentary running within me. I smiled as the path rose to meet my heavy tread, the optimism rising with each passing step. OK so I’m carrying an extra kilo or two; that’ll be gone soon, and who knows? Maybe I’ll head for Almería lighter than ever before . . .

. . . Shhh! It's rude to giggle. Besides, we can all dream, can’t we?
Lurching into the kitchen the heat and smells of recently served home-made Bolognese sauce blasted my frosted senses. I glanced at the clock. An hour and ten minutes for around eight miles; not too bad, all things considered. Now, let’s try not to miss any more morning runs. Then again, perhaps I’ll shift my schedule around a bit; these roadside plods can be as good for the soul as they are for the soles.

04-01-2007, 11:18 PM,
January
Great post Sweder. If you have a TV on, reward yourself - there's more OGWT of the 70s on at the moment (BBC4).
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  January 2017 Sweder 16 9,274 02-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  2016 - January Sweder 28 15,141 01-02-2016, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  January 2014 Sweder 29 15,907 30-01-2014, 09:11 PM
  January 2013 Sweder 50 35,546 31-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Thumbs Up January 2012 Sweder 57 44,655 01-02-2012, 08:19 AM