Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feb
06-02-2007, 02:25 PM,
Feb
My birthday month which will also take me into the next vet category, to celebrate I have entered a couple of 10ks, the Trafford 10K at the beginning of March and (although I must be totally mad to part with so much hard cash for a 10k) the Great Manchester run in May - it's only because I have run every one of them since it started.

Training hasn't been what it should, various reasons, but must get out there for longer runs, I start off with good intentions each week, but never seem to do more than 3 or 4 miles on each outing.

Attempted to buy new shoes on Sunday only to find that the tried and tested New Balance 366's have turned into 367's and my local running shop who are usually very good didn't have my size :-( they tried to tell me that they don't keep d widths in stock, which I told them was rubbish as the last 3 pairs I have bought from them came straight out of their stock room. Never mind, they are ordering them, just hope they are Ok when they arrive. Why do manufacturers keep changing things, if it aint broke why fix it? The best I can hope is that the changes are just cosmetic.
06-02-2007, 09:28 PM,
Feb
stillwaddler Wrote:Why do manufacturers keep changing things, if it aint broke why fix it? The best I can hope is that the changes are just cosmetic.
Blimey SW I know what you mean. I was distraught when Guinness brought out the cans of 'draught'. Mind you, after a handful you hardly notice the difference . . . Hic :o

3 to 4 milers are OK. It won't take much to turn the occasional one of those into a 6 or 7 miler and you'll be on your way. Do you ever run with music or footie commentary? Sometimes you can trick yourself into a longer run if you have something to distract you for an hour or so.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

06-02-2007, 10:15 PM,
Feb
stillwaddler Wrote:My birthday month which will also take me into the next vet category, to celebrate I have entered a couple of 10ks, the Trafford 10K at the beginning of March and (although I must be totally mad to part with so much hard cash for a 10k) the Great Manchester run in May - it's only because I have run every one of them since it started.

Training hasn't been what it should, various reasons, but must get out there for longer runs, I start off with good intentions each week, but never seem to do more than 3 or 4 miles on each outing.

Attempted to buy new shoes on Sunday only to find that the tried and tested New Balance 366's have turned into 367's and my local running shop who are usually very good didn't have my size :-( they tried to tell me that they don't keep d widths in stock, which I told them was rubbish as the last 3 pairs I have bought from them came straight out of their stock room. Never mind, they are ordering them, just hope they are Ok when they arrive. Why do manufacturers keep changing things, if it aint broke why fix it? The best I can hope is that the changes are just cosmetic.

Why not buy direct from the New Balance factory shop in Cumbria by mail order? I've been a big NB 854s fan for about 4 years now, and have never paid more than £35 a pair from there.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
07-02-2007, 03:39 PM,
Feb
Andy, brill idea, have you got the Url for the factory shop? I thought you could only shop there in person, and forgot all about it when we toddled down the M6 last year.

Sweder, I was out for 6 mile on Monday, but normally something cuts short the play time allowed - must plan better :-( Have been listening to novels on my mp3 player but might switch to some rock for a change, I just find it hard to run out of synch with a beat and they are usually too fast for me - sooo answer must be - just run faster:-)

Hope everyone is thriving?
07-02-2007, 08:34 PM,
Feb
stillwaddler Wrote:Andy, brill idea, have you got the Url for the factory shop? I thought you could only shop there in person, and forgot all about it when we toddled down the M6 last year.

I don't think you can order online, you phone 'em up with your card details and they'll post 'em. Great service. I ordered 2 pairs late afternoon once, and the postman was knocking on my door at 7:30 the next morning. From Cumbria to Berks, that's pretty good.

I'll see if I can dig out the number.
El Gordo

07-02-2007, 08:40 PM,
Feb
Try 01931 716333. I think that's one of the factory shops. There are 2 or 3 of them there. but they'll ring round for you to try to get what you need.

Some of the shoes are technically 'seconds' though any defects (they claim) are tiny and cosmetic e.g. a stitch missed or a slight imperfection in the colour. I say "they claim" because I've never actually found anything wrong with any of the shoes I've had from them.
El Gordo

07-02-2007, 10:53 PM,
Feb
stillwaddler Wrote:I just find it hard to run out of synch with a beat and they are usually too fast for me - sooo answer must be - just run faster:-)
Either that . . . or maybe whack on some Floyd; most of Dark Side or Wish You Were Here work for a nice gentle plod. You're right not to step up to the faster rock beats though - best to push the distance at a comfy pace first.

Then crank up the Motorhead Big Grin

08-02-2007, 02:35 PM,
Feb
Thanks to you both, I'll give them a ring Andy and see what they can come up with.

Hhmmm Motorhead - I'll work up to that, must have some Metallica too - or Apocalyptica (only cos of the cellos!)
08-02-2007, 03:39 PM,
Feb
stillwaddler Wrote:Hhmmm Motorhead - I'll work up to that, must have some Metallica too
I watched Some Kind Of Monster last night, the incredible, more-ridiculous-than-Spinal-Tap Metallica Rockumentary on C4 last night. Cameras follow the three surviving band members (their bassist got wiped out in a bus wreck in Sweden in 1986) through creative hell as they struggle to lay down tracks for their first collaborative work in five years. Festering resentments and long-buried angst errupt under the pressure to produce. The results were ugly, tough to watch in places, yet ultimately fascinating. Lars Ulrich completely losing it was some of the most horribly compelling television I've seen in ages Eek

12-02-2007, 10:43 PM,
Feb
[Image: guinnesscake.jpg]
Run. Just run.
13-02-2007, 09:35 AM,
Feb

13-02-2007, 09:45 AM,
Feb
That is an absolutley perfect Birthday cake and bday beverage MLCM, It's quite worrying that you have summed up my tastes so well from the other side of the World Big Grin

Many thanks for your birthday greetings Guys - just wait, I'm going to give the rest of the North West "Female Vet 55's" a waddle for their money :p (well at least when I can peel myself off the sofa and away from the luscious black stuff!)
13-02-2007, 01:12 PM,
Feb
Happy Birthday SW. Have you thought of Robert Nesta Marley for your longer runs? I'd recommend Kaya or Exodus. I always keep some in the car to ease the angst of urban traffic.

Sweder: I watched the second half of the Metallica film and loved it. So many brilliant but hideous moments. Eg. when the guitarist starts talking about behaving without ego to set an example to the other two : I just wanted to scream Abit Like Luke Warm Water. They were an odd bunch. They had the tatoos and the alchohol problems, but with all the Californian social etiquette and psychological analysis bullsh*t. Maybe I'm just used to rock bands aligning more neatly with class as they tend to in England. Anyway, I bought St Anger for my wife when it came out (she's a massive fan) but didn't think much of it.

ps. I went to see a prog. rock band in my youth (we're talking '84) who released an album based on Pictures At An Exhibition (but not ELP). The lead singer was some eccentric who wore laderhosen and the guitarist wore a cape and make-up and put his instrument through a synth. But who were they? I'll be bugg*ered if I can remember!
13-02-2007, 01:55 PM,
Feb
Well there is an '84 release of PAAE but that would be ELP I'm afraid. The caped guitarist rings a bell, and for some reason I'm thinking of Uriah Heep, except I'm pretty sure they'd all but crashed by then, their last 'big' tour coming in around 1980/ 81. Captain Sensible wore a cape sometimes (usually nicked off Dave Vanian) but few could accuse The Damned of being prog rock.

13-02-2007, 02:22 PM,
Feb
After some furious surfing I've tracked them down. The Enid. Seem to remember I was the only person who was stood up. And there were no chairs.
14-02-2007, 09:53 AM,
Feb
Marry, sir, half a day's journey;
and I'll tell you, he hath a fair daughter, and
this is her birthday; and there are princes
and knights come from all parts of the world to
joust and tourney for her with Guinness.

( Act II )