Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March On, March On
30-03-2007, 12:18 PM,
March On, March On
Sweder Wrote:You're right, of course.
Only I looked again and it's actually 37C, which is about 98F. That's OK for your actual sun-dried southern hemisphere leather-skinned rock-dwellers . . . we NH softies start to sizzle at anything over 70. Frying tonight . . .

70 degrees? Crikey, I'm sweating just thinking about such a temperature..... Eek

But seriously, 98F sounds great. I can't recall why you're going out there, but as long as you stay out of the sun and don't do anything strenuous you'll be fine. Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
30-03-2007, 11:13 PM,
March On, March On
Sweder Wrote:You're right, of course.
Only I looked again and it's actually 37C, which is about 98F. That's OK for your actual sun-dried southern hemisphere leather-skinned rock-dwellers . . . we NH softies start to sizzle at anything over 70. Frying tonight . . .

Well quite seriously, I wouldn't run in 37C either (around 34/35 is my upper limit), although some people do. You're starting there to get into the temperatures where runners die (literally). 30C is fine - but high 30s are just silly unless you are very young, and/or very, very fit and very used to it.

Just run slowly and drink constantly. A heart rate monitor might be a good idea too. That way you can see when you're over-stressed and need to slow down/ walk for a while/ pull out.

Serious stuff, Sweder. Sad
Run. Just run.
31-03-2007, 05:45 AM,
March On, March On
'Better' news on the weather front. Wednesday promises 24C, a mere 75F, so it's moving the right way. Meanwhile all hell’s breaking loose outside as I prepare for my last visit to the East Brighton hills this morning. Those pesky dawn choristers who had me clasping the pillow over my ears at five a.m. have been driven off by whipping wind and lashing rain.

Warm weather training indeed Big Grin
Shame I can't take some of this with me . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

31-03-2007, 11:45 AM,
March On, March On
I bade farewell to March with a swift eight-miler.
Rog and Moyleman joined me at Woodingdean for our last blast on British soil before our journey to the shadow of Table Mountain. We chose Rog’s mid-week eight route, a testing series of hills and trails. In the last two miles the Serpent did her best to slow us down, her scales slippery after the overnight deluge, the wind howling down her spine trying to push us back. Through her foothills I felt the mass of stored energy seeping into my legs. I pushed the pace, my companions responding with long, easy strides. The slithery one screamed as we rounded her coils; I laughed and spat in her unblinking eye. We three Spartans, charging up one last hill to glory and breakfast.

My aches and pains are fading fast. Early soreness in my right leg soon faded; a couple of twinges, most likely caused by a lack of running, came to nought. By the time my full English had hit my stomach I’d've quite happily gone round again. Moyleman and Rog both looked strong, ready for the challenge. We chatted over coffee about next weekend, indulging in a little macho posturing about possible times, race-wear selection and hydration strategies. Bottom line: we’re all pretty nervous, very excited and can’t wait for the start line.

Heaven help our poor families over this next week.

31-03-2007, 12:26 PM,
March On, March On
Good luck and all that Sweder. Have really enjoyed your battles with the elements over the past few months. It’s been an epic, rain-lashed, windswept, bog-laden journey and the hard work has been done.
Enjoy it. And write about it some more so that we can all enjoy it too! Cool
31-03-2007, 03:59 PM,
March On, March On
Yes indeed.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
31-03-2007, 05:38 PM,
March On, March On
Sweder - when are you going?
El Gordo

31-03-2007, 05:42 PM,
March On, March On
Fly out Tuesday, arrive Wednesday morning, bite nails, eat loads and drink a few for a couple of days . . . race starts 06:20 Saturday morning.

Taper madness setting in nicely Big Grin

31-03-2007, 11:07 PM,
March On, March On
With March all but gone it's time to review the mileage charts.
I dropped a few mid-week runs this month, mostly in order to rest troublesome aches and pains. Lately the long run mileage has fallen away as the taper kicks in.

Jan: 117 miles (187 kms) (longest run: 15 miles/ 24 kms)
Feb: 132 miles (211 kms) (longest run: 20 miles/ 32 kms)
Mar: 122 miles (196 kms) (longest run: 26.2 miles/ 42 kms)

2007: 372 miles (595 kms)
Average weekley mileage: 28.6 miles (45.7 kms)

In summary 'less is more' has held sway. I figure this to be the bare minimum mileage required to get me round TOM. It's a good deal lower than a lot of - OK, most - marathon schedules, but the balance has been in favour of the long runs (as advised by seasoned Ultra runners working on low weekly mileage).

The fact that niggles have only recently appeared suggests this (LiM) policy has, for the most part, been a wise one*. Ultimately the test comes next Saturday, but I'm happy in my own mind that I've remained true to my mantra, albeit an unorthadox one, and got myself into reasonable condition with a low risk of injury.

On the diet front . . . well, I 'd have to say 'Diet? What diet?'
I've eaten normally, avoiding day-time snacking (but having the occasional post-supper peanut butter & honey 'widge) and been parsimonious with contributions to local hostilries. My weight has hovered around 90 kilos for the last few weeks - around 2 to 3 kilos less than the turn of the year.

[SIZE="1"]*It's also fair to say I should have visited a phisyo before I did.
Kader could have done more for me given longer to work on the calf and shins.
Note to self; when it starts hurting, seek advice. Don't wait for your leg to drop off.[/SIZE]

31-03-2007, 11:32 PM,
March On, March On
Thanks for the stats, Sweder. You're experienced enough to know what works for you.

As I'm sure I've said before "we are all an experiment of one". This is what the good doctor George Sheehan said.

It's a bit late before your race to talk about Sheehan, but the next time you do an ultra marathon (Big Grin ) I'll make sure you get a veinful.
El Gordo

01-04-2007, 02:11 AM,
March On, March On
You'll be right mate. Go slay 'em.
Run. Just run.
01-04-2007, 08:07 AM,
March On, March On
And all the gods go with you! Upon your toil
Sit sweet victory and smooth success
Be strew'd before your feet!
01-04-2007, 05:48 PM,
March On, March On
Hard to believe that the big race is finally here! After all the training and all the stories...now for the big show. You'll do well Sweder, as you have the determination and will to do it - and you've done the training; which is really the hard part.

Best of luck, not that you need luck. I look forward to reading all about it and sharing this great adventure with you.

SuzieSmile
01-04-2007, 08:55 PM,
March On, March On
Enjoy as much as possible and take it easy, Sweder, Rog and Moleyman!

Best of luck!

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería

Antonio

01-04-2007, 10:38 PM,
March On, March On
Thank you Suzie, gracias Antonio - for your good wishes and your company on this incredible journey. We're almost there.

I'm unbearably excited and there's still five days to go . . . I think Mrs S will have me bumped off before I get to the start line! You both know how taper fever sets in . . . Moyleman went out for a sneaky, unscheduled eight this morning. At least he had the good grace to confess via e-mail.

I chose to go for a leisurely breakfast at the excellent Real Eating Company in town. There's something timeless and ultimately satisfying about leafing through the Sunday papers over a table creaking under thick slabs of freshly cut toast smothered in homemade apple and blackcurrant jam, a herd of fried meat, mountains of scrambled eggs, acres of mushrooms and tomatos roasted to the point of bursting alongside glasses brimming with freshley squeezed orange juice and steaming mugs of dark-hearted italian coffee. So exhausted was I by this orgy of indulgence I had to retire to the sofa where after an indecently short interlude I consumed a continuous stream of goodies including carrot cake, marmite sandwiches and a wonderful chicken and vegetable stew. The carbs are loading at an alarming rate.

I may have to pop out for a gentle waddle to Blackcap in the morning :o

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March 2017 Sweder 22 11,857 28-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  March Or Die Sweder 28 14,143 31-03-2016, 06:01 AM
  March Is Moyleman Month Sweder 78 53,140 23-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  March 2013 Sweder 32 19,914 30-03-2013, 12:51 PM