Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Is England
28-03-2007, 03:08 PM,
This Is England
I went to see Shane Meadow's latest film on Saturday called 'This Is England'.

I'm not going to review the film. I'm just going to urge you to go and see it when it goes on general release: that's April 27th.

You won't be disappointed.

On a slightly smaller scale the short doco me and Mrs G made last year has now been added to the bbc's short-film site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/filmnetwork/A13633995
28-03-2007, 05:17 PM,
This Is England
I enjoyed the short film (again). I was surprised that Vitya could make 100 rupees a day. It sounded like a reasonable sum until I checked the exchange rate. Crikey, things have changed. It's now 83 rupees to the pound. In 1981 it was £1=16r, and in 1989 £1=24r.

Anyway, nice film.

I recently saw My Summer Of Love on your recommendation. Really enjoyed it. A very English film, but I'm not entirely sure what I mean by that.

Will look out for the others. Your recommendations have been good - thanks.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
28-03-2007, 05:26 PM,
This Is England
Here's an odd one (for me, anyway) - White Palace.
On face value its pretty standard hollywood fare; Susan Sarandon and James Spader play the leads in a rich-boy, poor-girl love story. It just grabbed me when I first saw it many years ago, and did so again recently on a chance happening during a bout of late-night channel -hopping. It's horribly dated - Spader is a YUPPIE - and the performances aren't particularly special; it just works.

[SIZE="1"]Sorry, this distracts somewhat from the pupose of GMs thread. Just popped into my head :o [/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-03-2007, 07:34 AM,
This Is England
Another break of the treat, but cinema:
Yersterday I have seen "De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté" ou, in English version: "The Beat That My Heart Skipped". Very good film, specially for those who love paradoxes.
Ana Smile
30-03-2007, 09:19 AM,
This Is England
I've heard good things about that film, Ana. I think this is a re-make of a film in the late 1970's, but I don't recall who made the original.

Another film highly recommended about to hit the cinemas in the UK is Days of Glory. I can almost hear the resigned rush of expelled breath when I say it's about the Second World War, but I'm assured this is a very different movie, focusing on the injustices and appalling treatment of the North African soldiers from former French colonies by their lords and masters. It is said to be truly powerful, not to mention an embarassment to the French; I'll be sure to catch this one.

A slightly different series of films landed on my doormat this morning courtesy of Amazon. I've invested in the Guillermo del Toro triple pack Cronos/ Devil's Backbone/ Pan's Labyrinth. At a shade under 17 quid for the three I reckon this could be a steal. I'm planning a Del Toro Fest this weekend, watching them in order of production with Cronos, the tale of an Antiques dealer who unearths an ancient artifact housing an immortal creature, first up.
Can't wait!

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

30-03-2007, 12:24 PM,
This Is England
It sound an interesting weekend, plenty of effects and imagination. You will enjoy it surely...
I also can't wait to my weekend. In Spain everybody is leaving for going to the beach. Spain is on holidays at this momente, "Holy week", we call il, with a lot of traditional procesions about Christ and his Death (and resurrection, Wink of course). It is very nice, because middle age, romanic and gothic art (escultures) get out of its Eglises and walks by every village street.
Ana Smile