luck on the day
01-05-2009, 07:55 PM,
luck on the day
Was it ?

I was told by two 3 times marathoners (that I beat on sunday) that its all to to do with luck on the day. Is that true, was I just lucky. I was thinking of going for a sub 4hr next year. Am I just being a fool. Am I to old to do a sub 4hr . Im not looking for inspiration, just some good sensible advise.Should I call it a day and be proud for what I achieved or go for Gold. What do you think.
02-05-2009, 05:00 AM,
luck on the day
Lucky? Well, I'm reminded of that famous old saying, attributed to various people, on being accused of being lucky, that "the more I practise, the luckier I get".

We make our own luck, though OK, I admit that sometimes things just come together at the right time, and at other times, they just don't.

But anyway, it's superb to see that your experience last Sunday is inspring you to extend your reach. Did we not suggest that your marathon would open the door to a new way of thinking about your capabilities? Big Grin

To answer your question: yes, yes, yes!

You have every chance of getting under 4 hours, though if you want to do it in a year, you have to take it seriously and train for it. It's all down to attitude and application, good planning, and to bring back that L word, some luck in avoiding injuries.

I might even join you.

Good luck.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-05-2009, 07:22 AM,
luck on the day
Too old? I'm not sure how old you are JB.
I ran my first marathon at 44 in a similar time to you. It took two more (one per year) for me to knock 30 minutes off my time. When the sub-4 came it arrived in good style but I'd have to admit I 'had a good day'. It wasn't luck though - there's no such thing as a 'lucky' 26.2 miles. I put the miles in for Paris; joined (an excellent) training group, ran tougher miles in training (more hills, longer long runs) and had inspirational training partners who started with me on the day; Moyleman and Rog-Air.

It's true you don't always get what you work for - weather conditions, quirky biorhythms (getting up on the wrong side of the bed), illness, cramp, injury . . . they all conspire to wreck your dreams.

Can you do it?
Absolutely Wink

[SIZE="1"]Marathon de Paris 2006 - my quest for sub-4[/SIZE]

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-05-2009, 02:33 PM,
luck on the day
Can't give you any advice johnnyb.. we're all different. All I can say is that the secret probably lies in consistency...oh, and writing here Smile
15-05-2009, 04:54 PM,
luck on the day
Thought I would write a few notes on my London marathon experience. It was an experience - and not a good one! I had been hoping for cool, rainy weather and it turned out to be just the opposite. To give you an idea of how much warm weather running I’ve done; the day I left Calgary (April 22) the plane was delayed two hours to de-ice as we were having a snow storm. We had done all of our training in nice cool (sometimes absolutely freezing) weather. But London is known to be cool and rainy at this time of year so we were hoping…

Even sitting around waiting at Blackheath I was getting warm. I was down to my singlet before we even started. The first 10 miles were okay, but I was feeling the heat already. I was enjoying myself though as I love the crowds that come out to cheer everyone on. This is so different from races at home. And I really get a thrill running through the streets of London (one of my favourite big cities). By 16 miles I was really struggling. The heat was sucking all of the energy out of me; and my pace got slower and slower. And I couldn’t seem to do anything about it! It became a slow slog of just forcing myself to keep moving. The people cheering us on (hearing my name called out was incredibly motivating) and the bands did help; without them I may not have finished. I couldn’t seem to get enough water and was absolutely dying of thirst right up until the end. My memory of those miles is rather hazy, I don’t think I was thinking anything but trying to keep moving. I do remember a band along the Embankment playing Billy Jean – that actually put a tiny bounce into my step for a bit and got me another mile along the way. But the last 3 miles were shear hell; there is no other way to describe it. I was running, but was hardly moving…and those 3 miles seemed to go on forever and ever. I did finish, but well over the time I had anticipated. With all of our long run training, I had realistically thought I could come in around 4:30. And I was secretly hoping to come in under that. This was going to be my last marathon and I really wanted to finish well. Three weeks after the race and I’m still struggling with the disappointment. My disappointment aside, I still think the London marathon is one of the best organized races in the world and one of the best to run. I love the festive atmosphere of all the spectators (it still boggles my mind that so many people come out to cheer on people they don’t know) and the fact that this race can close down major streets in such a huge city.

Some of you have mentioned not being able to have a beer afterwards. I can say that the Guinness after the race (mind you, it was a couple of hours after) was the best ever!

Suzie
15-05-2009, 08:41 PM,
luck on the day
Congratulations, Suzie. Don´t worry about not doing the time you expected and deserved. I´m sure that if the weather had been cooler, you would have finished under 4 hours thirty minutes. Never say never again. Perhaps on another occasion you will feel like doing another marathon. Just think that you managed to finish in spite of the heat.

Saludos desde Almería

PS. Let´s set the aim to do a half under two hours. Perhaps you have already managed to do it.

16-05-2009, 12:11 AM,
luck on the day
Hey Suzie, don't beat yourself up about it. I hate to see you disappointed, and I really do sympathise. But there are many things we have control over, and the weather ain't one of them.

I think I should remind people that Suzie has casually mentioned in the past that she trains in conditions where her water bottle freezes in her hand. I remember temperatures of minus 25 degrees being mentioned. Eek

I've always been amazed at how you well you do considering the training conditions you have to tolerate.

Weird, but one of the things we seem to like about this activity is its unpredictability, and on that day, you got dealt a bad weather hand. It happens. Like you, I can't stand the heat. For all that, you stuck at it when it got intolerable. Isn't that what the marathon is all about? You may be disappointed, but I still think you did really well in the circumstances. And you're not the only one to have struggled with the temperatures on the day.

At least you managed to enjoy some of the occasion. A bit the same with me in Boston (yeah I know, I really must post that report... :o). Tough experience but the event itself dragged me through. Mile 15 I was finished. Then ten miles of blankness. At least I was luckier than you with the weather.

Are you serious about it being your last marathon? I know you said it before, but you were turning in some very long runs in training. You seemed to be in pretty good shape. I'm also wondering whether I'll do another. They knock me for six. Maybe it'll be half marathons max from now.

Anyway, well done, and I hope we'll see you next year, in Almeria or Connemara. I agree with Antonio. A sub-2 half is a nice target for... for the senior members of the forum. Big Grin
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
16-05-2009, 12:05 PM,
luck on the day
I agree whole heartedly with EG & Antonio. So many of the hardened Brightonians blew up this year, mostly due to the warm conditions. We train through winter foulness for spring races often bathed in glorious sunshine. On sober reflection it does seem like utter madness, yet it's part of who we are. We know the odds, yet we take our chances anyway.

Your story reminds me of my own Marathonium Horribilus on the heartless mountain roads of Cape Town. It's your ability, when others might opt to quit or walk it in, to keep on to the bitter end that sets you apart and makes you a marathon runner.

The late, great, sun-dried raisin of a golf instructor Harvey Pennick published the following verse in his Little Red Book. It applies equally to those of us who've stared down the greasy barrel on the unforgiving road and, with nothing left in the tank, chosen to battle on to the finish.

It's easy to cry that you're beaten, and die;
It's easy to crawfish and crawl;
But to fight and to fight when hope's out of sight
Why, that's the best game of all

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

19-05-2009, 04:42 PM,
luck on the day
You are all right...and I should be happy that I finished and leave it at that. I controlled what I could and just have to deal with what I couldn't. But I'm thinking that I may just stick to half marathons from now on - try for that elusive sub-two hour. Maybe Almeria in 2010...that will give me something to aim for.

And I love the litte poem Sweder, very appropriate.

Suzie
19-05-2009, 09:18 PM,
luck on the day
I somehow missed your report Suzie. :o

An enormous effort in difficult conditions should be applauded. Only you will know in time whether you have another marathon in you, but hey, let's talk about that over a Guinness (if there's any left) in Almeria next year.

Meantime, whilst we're all getting wistful, here's one of my favourites...

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiams, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
20-05-2009, 12:06 PM,
luck on the day
Suzie;

Well done on a difficult day.

(Based on my limited experience) I think perhaps there's always an element of the unknown with a marathon, however much we prepare; even with professional athletes. Without this it's doubtful that there would be the same amount of excitement and anticipation beforehand.

The fact that you faced extreme difficulty and kept going is to your immense credit.

I wonder if chasing times in shorter events can replace the challenge you clearly relish.
20-05-2009, 03:24 PM,
luck on the day
Talking about future races over a Guinness is always a good idea! Big Grin

Suzie
20-05-2009, 07:28 PM,
luck on the day
Disappointment...? disappointment!!!! Bless you, Susieq, getting out there and doing it is the biggest and best achievement. Speaking for myself, as a 'last marathon' runner, in retrospect, of course we think 'if only we'd run faster/trained harder/drank more (or less!!!)' we could have done better, but nothing, NOTHING, can take it away from us - we still DID it!!!!

We (sure I can speak for everyone) are all proud of you. Don't let anyone or anything take that away from you.

See you in Connemara in 2010????

xxK
20-05-2009, 08:02 PM,
luck on the day
Katy - thank you for your uplifting words; you're right - we did do it!

I won't count out Connemara in 2010.

Suzie
09-06-2009, 12:06 PM,
luck on the day
very sorry for late response Suzie, have not been on site of late...You should be so proud of yourself for finishing in what were very taxing conditions especially when your training temperatures were so extreme.

Incidentally, I'm delighted you were prepared to run so far to get a pint of the black stuff;-)
Phew this is hard work !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Deads' 100 day challenge El Gordo 0 1,714 20-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Race day checklist El Gordo 8 5,811 22-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Good luck to all FLMers Sweder 42 20,270 27-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Last Post: marathondan
  good luck in Zurich sandiegoandy 36 15,776 11-04-2006, 06:19 AM
Last Post: glaconman
  Good luck, Sweder ! Nigel 18 7,891 17-05-2005, 11:50 AM