Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Medio Maratón El Pilar de la Horadada
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM,
I decided to take part at this new race just a few days before the competition. Although I suggested doing it a few weeks before, I didn´t feel much like it but Juan Pedro, another English teacher persuaded me to enter with him and Juan Jesús, a faster runner, who is a traumatologist. So, on Sunday 1st April at 6:15, they picked me up and we went to El Pilar de la Horadada, a small town in the province of Alicante just on the border with the region of Murcia. http://WWW.pilardelahoradada.org We went along the motorway to Murcia and got to the town at about 9:15 after having breakfast at a café in the province of Almería.

At El Pilar, I met José Luis, a friend of mine who I had met when I was a teacher at San Javier secondary school, which is near El Pilar. He has a food shop and lemon groves. After picking up our race numbers and chips we took some photos and Juan Jesús left to take a position in front.

In spite of the weather forecast, it was a sunny day instead of the predicted rain. The start line was at calle Mayor, High street. There were around 450 runners among them Martín Fiz and Abel Antón who came to promote the race. They were world marathon champions a few years ago. I met Abel Antón at San Silvestre El Ejido last year where he also took part. I also talked to a runner who was wearing a Carreraspopulares.com singlet and a sort of umbrella as a hat. There was also a young runner who was running with a push car and his baby on it.

First, the course went out of the town to come back to the town centre where you could see people near the church with palms since it was Palm Sunday. Then, we went along the outskirts to Playa de la Horadada seafront. I felt quite well doing each kilometre at a 5:35 pace. We went along some resorts with foreign people cheering, mainly from the Uk. I did km 10 in 56 minutes and I thought I could finish under two hours but after a few kilometres, I noticed that I couldn´t keep that pace. Anyway, in the last kilometre I managed to overtake a local runner who told me that El Pilar de la Horadada used to belong to Orihuela but 20 years ago they became independent. I also overtook a woman who was running accompanied by her husband and son on bicycles. I managed to finish in 2 hours 4 minutes and 30 seconds. I picked up my bag with a technical T-shirt with the images of Martín Fiz and Abel Antón, a small trophy, an agenda, an orange, a bottle of water, some biscuits, etc. There were some physiotherapists massaging the runners who felt like it. I met Juan Jesús who had arrived in one hour 27 minutes, just two minutes after Abel Antón and afterwards we met Juan Pedro who arrived in 2 hours 19 minutes because he had had some discomfort and hadn´t trained much. We saw Abel Antón and asked him to be in a photo with us. He was very friendly and Juan Pedro gave him greetings from another Almerian runner. After having a shower we went to a bar with José Luis and had a drink and mussels, octopus, Spanish omelette, etc. José Luis didn´t let us pay. Then, we drove back to Almería along a new toll motorway from Cartagena to Vera.

To sum up, it was an interesting experience since we had a good time although I didn´t manage to do the half under 2 hours but I am glad because I felt all right and I think that I´ll be able to one day.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

07-04-2007, 10:05 PM,
Well done, Antonio. 2:04 is pretty good for an old guy like you... Wink

Seriously, I'm sure you could get under 2:00. You're so close, Perhaps just one churro less every day, and you should be OK. I'm really serious about trying to get round Almeria in under 2 hours next year. I'm going to be in much better shape. Let's do it.

Good to see that Juan Pedro is still plodding.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
08-04-2007, 02:10 PM,
Gracias, Andy. I also think that you can do a half marathon under two hours. It would be wonderful if we succeeded in Almería next year. I should lose some weight since I´ve gained three kilos since Almería half.

Juan Pedro is a bit tired since he did Barcelona marathon in March in about five hours and a half but he wants to improve and do a half marathon again in around 1 hour 50 minutes.

Greetings to M.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

08-04-2007, 02:24 PM,
Well done Antonio! You are so close to hitting your goal, one day it will happen. But a good race nevertheless.

I'm doing a half marathon next Sunday; then another in two weeks. I would be happy to finish in your time, but think that's being a bit too ambitious right now.

Next year in Almeria...under two hours!

Suzie
09-04-2007, 01:56 PM,
Gracias, Suzie

Best of luck in your next races. I´m sure that you can also reach the under two hour target. Keep us informed!

It would be great if all the RC members could finish under two hours next year in my hometown half.

Saludos desde Almería

Antonio

10-04-2007, 06:33 PM,
Dear Antonio!
Well done!!!
Your running time is also very good. I will be happy of running so fast.
I miss the beach when I see you Smile and the octopuss, also
Ana Smile
12-04-2007, 10:29 AM,
Gracias, Ana. You can run faster if you go on with your training.

Best of luck!

Antonio

13-04-2007, 08:29 AM,
Congratulations Amigo.
It is only correct that you should wait to break 2 hours in your hometown half. It will be a great honour to run with you on that day in January, 2008.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

13-04-2007, 01:04 PM,
Well done Antonio! That sub-two hour half is not far away now. I'd say Almeria 2008 is looking a good bet for a really good PB for you. Smile

As we say over here, bonzer bottler super-you-beaut mate!
Run. Just run.
13-04-2007, 09:02 PM,
Gracias, amigos. It would be a great honour to break the two hour barrier with the RC team although it would be much better if all those who also wish to do a half under two hours managed to do it at Almería half as well.

Anyway, as long as we can go on taking part in races and finishing more or less all right and without serious injuries, it is fine.

Kind regards

Antonio

13-04-2007, 10:21 PM,
anlu247 Wrote:Gracias, amigos. It would be a great honour to break the two hour barrier with the RC team although it would be much better if all those who also wish to do a half under two hours managed to do it at Almería half as well.

Count me in. I need only need a 29 minute improvement over this year. Eek

But I'll do it. Nothing is impossible anymore.
El Gordo

15-04-2007, 08:38 PM,
Of course you can do it as well, Andy. If you go on with your balanced diet and training, you will be able to break the two hour barrier.

Best of luck

Antonio

15-04-2007, 09:41 PM,
I will do it. No question.
El Gordo

30-04-2007, 08:42 PM,
I'm still down with the idea of running as a two-hour pacer in January.
In case there's any doubt I'm very serious about doing this. It would be a really good thing to be involved with (and imagine the rounds of Guinness heading my way in the glorious aftermath!) No doubt we can return to this idea after a fruitful summer of warm evening running. And there's Andy's pilgrimage to Blackcap/ tour of Lewisian hostilries to organise Smile

01-05-2007, 12:22 PM,
I will store up some brownie points and try to come across for that as well. I would also be happy to be a further sub 2 pacer. (Takes big gulp as he has only run one sub 2 himself..).
02-05-2007, 04:32 PM,
It will be wonderful to count on your guidance and support to tackle the 2 hour barrier, Sweder. I´m sure that all of us will be able to take advantage of your help.
I´m looking forward to meeting you in Almería, Peterward3, and share the pre race, race and post race activities with you and the other forumites. If we manage to do the half marathon under 2 hours, it will be great.

Saludos desde Almería Greetings from Almería

02-05-2007, 04:54 PM,
. . . perhaps we should start a list of declarants for the Great Almerían Adventure 2008[SIZE="1"]TM[/SIZE]. By my reckoning we could be well into double-figures, which may mean a couple of things:

1) Possible block-booking discount at the hotel
2) Pre-booking of eateries for certain key days/ times
3) Increased chances of making the Fall Down A Mountain Monday Challenge a 'formal' event (wouldn't that be fun! We could invite the Mayor to start us off . . .)
4) Some form of knighthood for Antonio for services to tourism

Sorry; pre-match jangles have started with bells on Sad

03-05-2007, 09:40 PM,
Sounds like things are starting to heat up real early for Almeria! An idea on the hotel - Nigel got a much cheaper rate than we did just by going through the official race site. But if we could get it even cheaper...more money to spend on 'rehydration'.

I'm going to aim to finish under two hours, but I need the planets to align just perfectly...hasn't happened yet. I did finish a half in 2:08 last Sunday and felt real good; so knocking off more time running at sea level is a definite possibility. Maybe with Nigel and Ash pacing us slower people it would happen.

Suzie
03-05-2007, 11:44 PM,
Great to see that you're planning on joining up with us again, Suzie, and it would be great to have Peter along. Ana seems keen to make it too.

If we formalise the weekend a bit more, and publish the arrangements, I'm sure we can pick up a few more.

Remember we have the likely promotion of Almeria to La Liga this season, so we might even have the chance of Almeria v Real Madrid or Barca after lunch. Eek I'd even settle for Deportivo.
El Gordo

04-05-2007, 11:05 AM,
andy Wrote:Remember we have the likely promotion of Almeria to La Liga this season, so we might even have the chance of Almeria v Real Madrid or Barca after lunch. Eek I'd even settle for Deportivo.
. . . or Celta Vigo.
I've got this annoying habit (one of many) where whenever I here 'Somewhere Only We Go' by Keane I sing 'Down to Celta Vigo' over the chorus. It's not something I can easily explain, or am terribly proud of, but there you go :o

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XXII Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 5 1,281 11-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XXI Medio maratón ciudad de Almería 4th February 2018 Antonio247 2 959 13-03-2018, 09:48 PM
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 5th February 2017 Antonio247 5 2,481 23-02-2017, 09:15 PM
  XIX Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 21 10,561 28-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Last Post: El Gordo
  XVI Medio maratón de Almería 27th January 2013 Antonio247 6 5,243 18-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  XIV Medio maratón de Almería and other races Antonio247 15 12,621 01-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  XIII Medio maratón de Almería 31st January 2010 Antonio247 13 11,230 02-04-2010, 09:43 PM
  Medio maraton 2010 El Gordo 2 3,886 22-09-2009, 01:34 PM
  XIX Medio maratón de Málaga 29th March 2009 Antonio247 8 8,194 06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
  XI Medio maratón de Almería Antonio247 8 6,608 24-04-2008, 08:49 PM