Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At last I take the plunge
20-04-2007, 11:14 AM,
Having read Sweder's threads for some time now, and having been rather
envious of his turn of phrase, eloquency and elegant witticisms.

I thought why not give it a bash. It might motivate me to do some serious
training and push myself a bit harder to achieve some quicker times, Ha!

Have just entered Beachy Head Marathon via Runner's World online.
A tough, brutal hilly affair over the Seven Sisters - I managed to post 4:51
last year - a PW, so I'd like to do better.

Will keep my long runs going over the summer and will do Jog shop Jog again.

So look forward to tales of Downland adventures and lovely Sussex races.
Moyleman
20-04-2007, 11:30 AM,
Another hillside addict joins the RC clan Big Grin

Good to have you aboard mate.
Not quite ironed out my autumn plans yet - not rulled out a SS attempt, but need to patch up the old pins before going too potty.

Oh, and you might like to bolster my attempts at luring one or two forumites down our way for a summertime trip to the hills (preceded by a night of culinary enquiry amongst the hostilries of Lewes, mayhap) . I've been banging on about it for ages - reckon they're immune to my whining . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-04-2007, 12:21 PM,
The hostelries of Lewes sound v tempting, but I'm not sure I could manage one of your legendary hillside lopes the following morning. T'other way round sounds more logical. Or maybe just the hydration without the run.....
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
20-04-2007, 01:00 PM,
You don't half enjoy a pint after a run - don't be so sheepish Andy - its only a wee 5 miler.

It's a great idea and the more the merrier I say.

There is a flatter route down by the river, but its been a while - so I would be a bit vague. I'm sure Sweder would know the way.

Besides it's cheating a bit not to include any hills - and Blackcap, Wickerman is such a lovely route.
Moyleman
20-04-2007, 01:01 PM,
OK - how about a gentle (really) Blackcap Five one morning followed by a leisurely lunchtime/ afternoon cultural tour of the town? Could be a weekday or a weekend.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

20-04-2007, 02:09 PM,
Gulp,

Post Marathon blues have hit - have entered the above

Here's the Blurb from Runners World

"The 3 F M 'The tough one' South Downs. The three Iron Age forts of Cissbury Ring, Devil's Dyke and Chanctonbury Ring with 3,450 foot of climb. Organised each year since 1976. Now re-routed to ensure its survival by linking with Worthing Rotary Clubs to raise funds for St Barnabas Hospice. 27 mile course. "Go the extra mile" On the day runners can opt to do the Half Marathon course. It's tough out there! More Info at:-www.threefortsmarathon.org.uk"

It's one I should have already done, being a lover of the Sussex Downs and its undulating terrain. But some nasty road marathon usually gets in the way.

2 weeks to prepare, I'll give it a bash !Eek
Moyleman
20-04-2007, 02:26 PM,
Pocket size story, my tales will probably have a touch of brevity about them. My recall isn't on the magnum opus scale of good friend Sweder.

Race report - 7th April 2007 - Dday

A 6:20am start on Main road in Capetown. Got there in plenty of time, the accomodation only about 20mins gentle jog away. Runners milling about for the start of the half-marathon.

Extended toilet queues for last minute ablutions and the usual nervous excitement clearout. Good natured, friendly atmosphere pervaded everywhere - the 4 amigos meeting up at the back of the Ultra throng.

The announcer gets the half underway, 20 minutes later we get going with a horn not sounding too dissimilar to the one used on the Hornburg (LOTR - Two towers). Announcer also jovially stating that any half runners had missed the start by some way.

We start slowly, 55 to 60 mins 10ks for the first 2, great support out this early, chivvied along by one woman wanting a vocal response to her getting up early and us running by in a quiet, trepidatious melee wanting to conserve energy for the later heat and climbs.

Had one pitstop (peestop) with Dave, and promptly lost the other 2. Later espying Roger at the side of the road - changing his socks!! waved us on. We chugged along at a nice pace, taking in the sights and smells of some of the provincial towns on the outskirts of Capetown - Kalk bay and Fishhoek which are on the Indian Ocean part of the run, lovely places revisited later during the holiday. Right by the ocean, the sea bowling in, a fantastic lift to the spirits as we completed the first third. A train to my surprise came thundering by alongside the route at the top of the beach, quite surreal.

At this point, Dave elected for another pitstop, I carried on and caught Ash - who seemed to be struggling. I couldn't hang on, felt too good.
I reached halfway about 2:45, a good start and felt strong - starting the long steady climb towards Chapmans Peak, an arduous 6k climb. Dave came back to me on the climb and zoomed ahead, I stuck to my steady shuffling pace admiring the vista. Thought I saw whale blow hole air coming to the surface, what a place!

Got to the summit and started the long descent into Hoek bay, then the wheels came off - the quads tightened and wouldn't play ball. I dug in and focussed on a small section at a time. Got to the marathon point in 4hrs 20min. Strange thing was I felt strong breathing, but lactic in my bloody quads wouldn't shift.

Walked up Constantia Nek - think Ditchling Beacon - another arduous 4-5K climb. Got to a physio station at the top and got my legs treated. No amount of energy gels, fluids was shifting the deadness - top guy got me going again, at a walk-run pace.

The last 10k were a bit of a blur - a fantastic descent through a forest down to the gorgeous Kirstenbosch gardens. Support was fantastic, Coke, Powerade, water sachets all brilliantly organised throughout.

I caught Rog with 2K to go, he found the Lord last year and God certainly does work in mysterious ways - I never saw him pass me. We ambled and cajoled each other, with cries of 'Go on Chris and Roger coming from the pavement into the last 200m', we were lifted and sped down onto the grass of the University Rugby pitch, crossing the line around 6:14, collecting our lovely blue medals for a 6-7 hr finish.

Wow, it was hot, what a relief to get over the line well before the 7hr cutoff time. Heard some unfortunates had missed the gun and got nothing, harsh, really harsh. Dave had finished in about 5:45 - collecting a bronze, Ash came in around 6:30 - we were worried he would miss the cutoff. My steadfast training partner throughout the long wet winter months had survived his troubles and got a deserved blue medal.

Off to get a massage on my quads, which spasmed when I tried to stretch - sore for another 2 days - still managed to climb Skeleton Gorge route to the top of Table mountain on the Monday.

What a race, place, wonderful people, fantastic cuisine - so much to experience.

Roll on 2008 - I'll be back.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moyleman
20-04-2007, 03:21 PM,
Sweder Wrote:OK - how about a gentle (really) Blackcap Five one morning followed by a leisurely lunchtime/ afternoon cultural tour of the town? Could be a weekday or a weekend.

That's a bit more like it.....
El Gordo

20-04-2007, 08:10 PM,
Congratulations for succeeding in such a tough challenge and welcome to this friendly forum, Moyleman!

Best wishes

Greetings from Almería

Antonio

21-04-2007, 12:03 AM,
Bloody excellent work Moyley, and great to have another blog to read. Hope to join you and Sweder on the slopes one day.

Gosh, more excuses to raise a toast or three. Eek
Run. Just run.
21-04-2007, 07:14 AM,
I dont know in Asia, but in Paris there is internet. Great Moyleman that you has your own diary. We will love it and at I will not be the last one Smile
Ana Smile
21-04-2007, 09:14 AM,
I feel quite humbled, thanks for your support and welcoming messages - it feels like I've joined some intimate band of brothers/sisters each with a common goal.

Despite the running, to get something more out of life, than the usual humdrum.
:o
Moyleman
21-04-2007, 10:10 AM,
Bit of a belated post.

My first constitutional since I've been back.

Its a 40 min route close to where I live, in a lovely part of Brighton - if it weren't for all the bloody traffic. Close to Withdean Stadium - the home of our local football team - up the seagulls. Although they are hopefully guaranteed survival in League 1 this season, their form of late has been woeful.

Anyway I digress, I run up by the side of this arena - Tongdean Lane, Valley Drive - a nice steady climb to get me settled and into a comfy pace. Grateful for my MP3 player to set the tone - an eclectic mixture that I'd taken on holiday.

Track du jour - corny as it sounds, Keep on running, Spencer Davis group - passers by must have thought I was grinning like a loon when this came on.

Down Woodland drive - a lovely 2k descent to Hove Park, alongside the park 'til Old Shoreham road, steady climb up the Upper drive, down Millers road, South road, back along London road to home.

That blew the cobwebs away.

An all pavement affair - I do need to get down to Preston Park again - but I do dislike running round and round a place. I should treat it as a chance to do some mile speed training, I guess.

Had a lovely long stretch outside - lovely bright evening, best time of year to run.

We should all train for Autumn marathons in my opinion.

Friday is circuits night. Chance to push some weights - my ideal cross training
regime.
Wink
Moyleman
21-04-2007, 10:27 AM,
An arduous 1.25 hrs at the hands of Fran, the diminutive school mistress type who can crack the whip with the best of them.

I go to Corals gym in Brighton - next to a Greyhound stadium - bit of an odd setup really. Punters next door getting pie-eyed and gambling away.
While we ooze honest sweat, and try to reshape what we've got.

It was a hard sess - not having pumped any weights for 3 weeks. But I tend to really pace myself well and not get carried away like some raspberry faced folk. Fran always likes to do abdominal work at the end - after you've given what you've got for an hour. A really brief cool down / stretch at the end - necessitates an additional stretch in the gym.

Have got a 4 hour 'Spin' fest (stationary bike) next Saturday 28/04 organised by the erstwhile Rick - a lovely guy raising money for Cancer Research.

Not sure how much I'll complete, will probably take breaks on the hour for necessary sodden shirt & bandana change. Will try and do Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday Spin classes to get in the mood for the occasion.

Running for now will have to take a backseat next week. Off to get some padded cycling shorts. Eek
Moyleman
21-04-2007, 03:14 PM,
Welcome to the RC world Moyleman! And congratulations on your excellent ultra-marathon. You all did so well, I'm very impressed and am in awe with what you all accomplished.

And I can't believe you're actually planning another marathon so soon. You must be crazy! It must be the air in that part of the world.

Suzie
22-04-2007, 04:53 PM,
First long run, since the ultra, coaxed an old friend out - who's running Berlin in September. Soft Alan - or more commonly Le soft, carrying a keg at the moment but hopes to shift rapidly. Round their place last night for pizza and bevvies + photo viewing of SA (third showing today, with the folks and my sister, so time consuming). His other half Suzie was meant to join us, also running Berlin but opted for a duvet day.

Trying to convince him that he should join me in a few lovely Sussex downland races, on today's showing he could manage the 3 forts half, its just a matter of instilling some confidence and getting out and doing the regular Weekend long one.

Today's route out to Saddlescombe and back via Devil's Dyke - what fantastic weather to come back to - a little over 90 mins at a leisurely pace. Felt bouncy and fit, bodes well for my madcap scheme of doing the 3 forts marathon.

Bumped into Remy, Gill and Jane - all Sunday Marina regulars - after watching a couple of hours of the FLM, in my local hostelry, the Crown and Anchor - great cheap food and the obligatory - Extra cold Guiness. They are all doing 3 forts, so it looks like i'll be in good company.

Off to the FLM piss-up tonight, will adorn Two oceans Tshirt & medal. Share and bask in combined Marathon glories.

Cheeky 10
Moyleman
22-04-2007, 10:30 PM,
Gosh Moyleman, not long to go before the 3 Forts! Does 27 miles count as an ultra? Either way, two hilly marathons/ultras back to back like that is impressive.

Good to see you're sticking to the patented RC training diet of Guinness and pizza. Better get some Fullers London Pride into you as well though - you need the variety of food groups for a balanced diet. Better have extra anchovies on that pizza too. :p

It all sounds like a lot of fun. We'll have a hard time keeping up with you I think. Smile
Run. Just run.
24-04-2007, 12:35 PM,
Great start, Moyleman. Really good to have another voice. Apologies for lack of response so far but I'm out of the country, and have only just got Internet access. Have tried to avoid it, to be honest. I need a holiday from the web as much as from work.

Enjoyed the TOM report. A fantastic achievement by all you guys. I keep saying I'll do it one day, but maybe I should admit that it might just be a bit beyond me. If there was no cut-off, that would be a different matter -- but we'll see.

Look forward to reading about more heroics.
El Gordo

24-04-2007, 02:47 PM,
Thanks for that vote of confidence, Andy.

I'm sure you could manage the 2OM, if you had as good a winter's training as me and Sweder.

It was all down to application, doggedly sticking to that one long run a week -despite what else you did or didn't do. I personally really look forward to it.
It is so out of context to normal daily drudgery.
Sharing it with others, the camaraderie, the chance to forget all my petty worries, lose myself.
Nothing in my life comes close to the toughness, discipline required.

Anyway, enough of me harping on.

Hope you have a great trip - get your running boots on for TOM 2008 Big Grin
Moyleman
24-04-2007, 03:21 PM,
Moyleman Wrote:Thanks for that vote of confidence, Andy.

I'm sure you could manage the 2OM, if you had as good a winter's training as me and Sweder.

It was all down to application, doggedly sticking to that one long run a week -despite what else you did or didn't do. I personally really look forward to it.
It is so out of context to normal daily drudgery.
Sharing it with others, the camaraderie, the chance to forget all my petty worries, lose myself.
Nothing in my life comes close to the toughness, discipline required.

Anyway, enough of me harping on.

Hope you have a great trip - get your running boots on for TOM 2008 Big Grin

Wise words, and spoken like a true evangelist.

You're right - I shouldn't write it off. That's very negative of me. I suppose I'm trying to draw a balance between setting good targets that will stretch me, but avoiding making silly promises that only put unnecessary pressure on me. Knowing your limits is important. But you're right -- it's all about preparation.

As for 2008, I may just have another plan that I'll reveal soon.

It would be good if you could make it to Dorney (http://www.runningcommentary.co.uk/forum...st&t=1329).
El Gordo