Drum roll for Nick ("The Hornet")
02-05-2007, 09:47 PM,
I've a funny feeling both sides will have rediscovered their appetite for the game by next week.

Of course, worst case scenario is that "Citeh" beat the Rowdies and Chelsea win at the Emirates, meaning that the Stamford Bridge game becomes a cup final for the Prem title. Oh god, it'll be Anfield/Tuesday all over again. My nerves couldn't take it.

I can't be bothered doing the arithmetic to see if it's possible but ideally, let the weekend results mean that Chelsea have to win something like 6-0 next week against the Rowdies to avoid losing the title. I could then enjoy the game AND Mourinho's face as the chaps in red shirts do a lap of honour.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
02-05-2007, 10:00 PM,
There's an interesting cross-sport ageism analogy to be considered.

Milan were (until an hour or so ago) branded a team past their sell-by date. Yet they belied their years to smite the youthful Rowdies, Rooney, Ronaldo et al buried under years of know-how. In 2003 we sent an 'experienced' team of rugby union players Down Under to plunder the Web Ellis trophy, cries of 'Dad's Army' ringing in their colliflower ears. Then there was the ancient order of Australian Cricketers. They'd had their day, these leathery-skined antipodeans. Our boys set sail, Captain Flintoff on the bridge, young Pietersen and co braced for action, only to be scuppered by cunning, guile and unbridled sporting hardness.

As an old, wise golf-pro, none other than the wonderful Harvey Pennick, once councilled; beware the opponent who rolls up on the first tee with well-worn clubs, sun-wrinkled skin and a squint.

I hope Nick appreciates this is by far the most longevous drum-roll in recent RC history Big Grin

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

02-05-2007, 10:09 PM,
Sweder Wrote:I hope Nick appreciates this is by far the most longevous drum-roll in recent RC history Big Grin

Er -- oh right, yes... sorry Nick.

But on the subject of the triumph of the elders, one need look no further than this website, surely, or one's local fine wine emporium, or cheese counter, to understand that youthfulness and quality are rarely synonymous.
El Gordo

02-05-2007, 10:35 PM,
andy Wrote:on the subject of the triumph of the elders, one need look no further than this website, surely, or one's local fine wine emporium, or cheese counter, to understand that youthfulness and quality are rarely synonymous.
Quite right!
Trebles and pension books all round! Big Grin

[SIZE="1"]Did I really say 'trebles'? Oh dear . . . :o [/SIZE]

03-05-2007, 09:57 PM,
[. I've felt a bit sorry for the Baggies ever since March 4, 1967. Big Grin[/quote]

Sorry Andy a little to young to remember 1967........April 2nd 1982 FA Cup semi Highbury is my most dismal West Brom/ QPR memory... Clive Allen's jammy goal...........watching Peter Hucker swinging on the crossbar at the final whistle...the utter dejection I felt........and then our coach broke down on the way home 4 hours at Toddington services what a crap day that was. The end of the Golden Atkinson era (even thogh he had buggered off up the M6 with Captain Marvel and Remi Moses 9 months before) and so followed 20 years of total failure.

Other than that I quite like QPR.

Boing Boing

Ant
03-05-2007, 10:03 PM,
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Hey, nice to find another Baggie on here!Cool
How about a sell-out Wembley play-off final against Wolves? Eek
BB
If we both win on Sunday its the semis for us.
6 years to build Wembley Stadium and one of the first customers could be the Dingle Dog'edsEek , they will probably wreck the place.........if they can find itConfused Wolverhampton not really known for its great thinkers.

Boing Boing

Ant
04-05-2007, 06:24 AM,
What's a treble (in the context of pension books)? Confused
Run. Just run.
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM,
Ant Wrote:April 2nd 1982 FA Cup semi Highbury is my most dismal West Brom/ QPR memory... Clive Allen's jammy goal...........watching Peter Hucker swinging on the crossbar at the final whistle...the utter dejection I felt........

Me too. I still have nightmares featuring Bob Hazell.

Remember that somebody inconsiderately chose to get married on semi final day and between church service and wedding reception we all buggered off down the M1.

Also remember people trying to pay my dad not to go. Something to do with a jinx dating back to, you've guessed it....1967 :o

Err.. but isn't this meant to be a Watford thread?
04-05-2007, 10:25 AM,
Bierzo Baggie Wrote:Remember that somebody inconsiderately chose to get married on semi final day and between church service and wedding reception we all buggered off down the M1.

Which in turn reminds me of a wedding I went to on Grand Final Day in 1997. It also happened to be in Adelaide, and it was the first time Adelaide had made the grand final - remembering of course that the Aussie Rules competition here brings participating cities to a complete standstill. The bride turned out to be football-hostile, but it didn't stop scores being loudly "whispered" during the actual ceremony, and quite literally as soon as the vows were exchanged a TV was wheeled into the church and all eyes went from the happy couple to the teev. The bride, realising she was up against the tide of humanity (which included the photographer being glued to the screen as well) resigned herself to her fate and went to the church kitchen for a cup of tea. The groom joined the rest of us and completely ignored his new bride. It was probably the most memorable wedding I've ever been to (other than my own of course).

Even better, Adelaide won. Big Grin

*[SIZE="1"]And no, the marriage didn't last.[/SIZE]
Run. Just run.
04-05-2007, 10:51 AM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:What's a treble (in the context of pension books)? Confused
Sorry Cobber . . . a Private Eye in-joke.

Self-congratulatory BBC execs featured in a long-running cartoon in the satirical tome used to celebrate massive pay-rises/ hikes in the license fee by going to the pub and shouting 'trebles all round!'

Bet you're glad you asked now . . .

. . . oh, and no particular link to pension books, other than in reference to Andy's (quite correct) assertion that grizzly age trumps youthful beauty every time Wink

04-05-2007, 11:16 AM,
Sweder Wrote:Sorry Cobber . . . a Private Eye in-joke.

Self-congratulatory BBC execs featured in a long-running cartoon in the satirical tome used to celebrate massive pay-rises/ hikes in the license fee by going to the pub and shouting 'trebles all round!'

Private Eye is where I first came across "Trebles all round" too, though I've no idea if that was its origin. It's certainly become a well-known expression though, as a Google search will testify.
El Gordo

04-05-2007, 11:21 AM,
andy Wrote:Private Eye is where I first came across "Trebles all round" too, though I've no idea if that was its origin. It's certainly become a well-known expression though, as a Google search will testify.

Hmm, it even rates a lot of hits in an Australia-only search. I've never heard it though. Sad

Why is RC making me feel ignorant just lately? ( Don't answer that, SP! :mad: )
Run. Just run.
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM,
Mid Life Crisis Man Wrote:Why is RC making me feel ignorant just lately? ( Don't answer that, SP! :mad: )

Excessive hebetude, and insufficient intake of mange-tout.
El Gordo

04-05-2007, 01:10 PM,
andy Wrote:Excessive hebetude, and insufficient intake of mange-tout.
Indubitably! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drum roll for... El Gordo 3 5,236 13-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Drum roll for.... El Gordo 4 9,161 07-10-2016, 06:28 PM
  Drum roll for.... El Gordo 0 2,577 30-04-2014, 06:25 AM
  Drum roll for... peterward El Gordo 3 16,360 25-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man