logging routes
03-05-2007, 01:45 PM,
logging routes
For anybody who doesn't use a gps gadget whilst running. This site is a great use of google technology to give you distances and elevation profiles:

http://sanoodi.com/home.html

Just click on the maps and save your routes. Then log your runs.
03-05-2007, 03:05 PM,
logging routes
This is a very cool tool . . . unless you run in an area that looks like some form of summer vegetable soup on the google satelite image (like I do). I thought it would be fun to map out my route to Blackcap, but even the edifice of Lewes Nick (which sort of marks the start of the route) is just a nasty grey smudge in the middle of a greeny-brown smudge Sad

Moyleman used a similar device to map out out pre-TOM training routes. I'm fairly sure that works on the same principals so I'll ask him how he did it.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

03-05-2007, 03:19 PM,
logging routes
OK, stopped sobbing and got on w'it.
What is also cool is when you save a route the program offers you photos related to the area. I logged Blackcap and it turned up a photo of a lad standing on top of the milestone there . . . and a photo of a Goth.

Er . . . right.

http://www.sanoodi.com/route/sweder/blac.../15-56-00/

04-05-2007, 09:12 AM,
logging routes
Agreed Swede;

I tried to map a favorite route in The Dales, but found it impossible to trace the route on the images of open moorland.

Ah well, it's certainly good for road routes.

I think this site is what is referred to as very web2.0. The question is whether to digg it or hugg it.
04-05-2007, 11:06 PM,
logging routes
There seems to be a few sites like this springing up.

One I checked out recently that I'd seen talked about on the RW forum is

http://www.mapmyrun.com

I quite liked it because (to my surprise) it had several routes around my village. Also has elevation. (Click the "Search for Runs" button along the top.)

There's also http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ that I've seen mentioned, but it's less user-friendly.

Edited to add:

I've got round to opening a Flickr account where I'll aim to upload a load of running-related photos. Here's a pic of my running route in Sicily, courtesy of my GPS watch and the excellent Sportstracks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7713487@N04/484342707/
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-05-2007, 09:21 AM,
logging routes
That's impressive stuff Andy - I'll have to look into this Flickr malarky.
Interesting that they offer a shot of the Almería team alongside . . . is that randomly pulled from your personal archive on the site or deliberately linked to the Scicily map? I see you've benefited from having a decent google image to show off the route on - I'm hoping they'll define the rural areas a little moe one of these days.

On the subject of GPS I'm thinking of joining the 21st Centiry this month. I recall you had strong views on the latest (gulp) Garmin - what's your take on the best animal out there just now? Ideally I'd like to be able to do exactly what you've done there - record routes, pick up accurate mileage and elevation plus map the route over google or similar.

05-05-2007, 09:44 AM,
logging routes
Sweder Wrote:That's impressive stuff Andy - I'll have to look into this Flickr malarky.
Interesting that they offer a shot of the Almería team alongside . . . is that randomly pulled from your personal archive on the site or deliberately linked to the Scicily map? I see you've benefited from having a decent google image to show off the route on - I'm hoping they'll define the rural areas a little moe one of these days.

On the subject of GPS I'm thinking of joining the 21st Centiry this month. I recall you had strong views on the latest (gulp) Garmin - what's your take on the best animal out there just now? Ideally I'd like to be able to do exactly what you've done there - record routes, pick up accurate mileage and elevation plus map the route over google or similar.

Ah, sorry, no, I was just in the process of uploading some of Nigel's Almeria pics, but didn't realise I'd actually confirmed that I wanted them up there. Not that it matters, but the plan was to filter a few out. Anyway, I'll be off for a run in a minute but will finish this off later.

The satellite images comes from Sportstracks, which I can heartily recommend. You get the automatic map images only if you import via a GPS device. Otherwise you have to draw it out yourself on one of the aforementioned apps and save it as an image to your running log, if you wanted to.

Flickr is just a place to store pics. My plan is to upgrade to a pro Flickr account and open it up to everyone here to post their own pictures. I've got tons of pictures but haven't uploaded them because it's so labour-intensive. This looks like a much better way of doing it. I'll reveal more later about the group Flickr account. In fact I have a couple of things to reveal today, or this weekend, certainly.

As for GPS watches, well, yes, I have been a bit disappointed with the Garmin 305 but this is largely based on the price I paid (£289). I bought as soon as it was released, when it was at its priciest. If you can get it for £150, and apparently you can if you shop around, I'd say it's a reasonable buy. In some ways I prefer the simpler controls of the 301, but I was never too keen on the look of the thing. The 305 includes HRM. You can get the 205 without the HRM, and will obviously be cheaper. Not sure of the current prices.

Worth checking out the Gear forum on the RW site, though there are so many diverse opinions there that it may confuse rather than enlighten.

I'll post more later but need to get out there if I want to be back in time to see the Rowdies win the Prem.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
05-05-2007, 02:06 PM,
logging routes
Thanks for all that.
Phew! Managed to watch the match. The boys looked pretty tired but managed to squeek home. Hopefull the PL will do something about the cowardly stamp on Ronaldo. Nice to see him exact revenge in the right way.

It'll be a very strange afternoon tomorrow; cheering on the Gooners Eek