Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RC Pictures
06-05-2007, 09:49 PM,
RC Pictures
I've signed up for a Pro account on Flickr, the photo-sharing site. Here's the address:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningcommentary/

I'm still scaling the learning curve (though it's pretty user-friendly), but have uploaded all the Almeria 2007 pics I could find -- mostly Nigels's and Antonio's, but some of mine too.

This is a much better idea than trying to embed them all in the HTML of the main pages and store the images on my server. That was so much hassle that I hardly bothered, This way, we should get a lot more up there, and more quickly.

I'll upload a lot more in time, and will post updates here.

The idea is to allow others to do the same if they are pics vaguely running or RC-related. I'm still looking at ways we can do this, and will let you know. Feel free to check out the snaps in the "2007 - Almeria Half" set on the right of the page, and post comments if that's your bent.

It's a social facility rather than a showcase of great photography, but we can create a separate set of particularly good photos, if we ever manage, by some fluke, to create any... Big Grin

Let me know if you want to try it out. I'd have thought the TOMboys might find it a useful place to collect their photos (and to enable their mates in SA to view them).
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
06-05-2007, 10:21 PM,
RC Pictures
Ah, OK, I've learnt something... that only one person can (legitimately) upload to one Flickr account. It seems the way to deal with this is for other people to create their own accounts, then to form a group.

I'll continue to upload stuff, and let others decide whether they want to pitch in with their own accounts.
El Gordo

08-05-2007, 10:32 AM,
RC Pictures
Nice work Andy. I've created an account. Are you going to create a group for us to join? If so let us know what it's called.
08-05-2007, 12:08 PM,
RC Pictures
OK great, will do that this evening sometime if I get a chance.
El Gordo

08-05-2007, 09:59 PM,
RC Pictures
OK, I've created a group called runningcommentary.

URL: http://www.flickr.com/groups/runningcommentary/

The idea of a group is to have a pool of photos of general interest to the people here, whether posters or lurkers.

If you want to join the group, just let me know. You'll have to create a Flickr account first. The standard account is free, but there are limits to how many photos you can upload per month (about 200 I think, so not too bad). Or you can pay $24.95 a year for a Pro account with which everything is limitless. Pretty good value for £13 or so a year. Having your own account means you can store all your other photos up there too of course, including those that you want to keep private, or limit access just to family/friends etc.

Anyway, there you are. I like this tool, and intend to keep using it. You're welcome to pitch in, or not, as you see fit.

If you just have the odd snap you'd like to be added to the pool, of course you can send them to me (if they're small enough to be emailed) or if there are a lot e.g. an Almeria-type batch, you can let me have them on CD -- and I'll upload them for you.

Andy
El Gordo

19-07-2007, 11:49 AM,
RC Pictures
Andy,

I just spotted MCLM's disturbing new avatar (maybe the orange hair is a Zen thing? Like robes), and I thought it's interesting that a member of the community can post such an... interesting... picture of themselves and no-one else bat an eyelid.

But of course if someone did post a comment, in a year or so the avatar would probably have changed (we can but hope) and the post would make no sense.

Is there any way you can make an avatar archive, perhaps with a one-line comment (e.g. "MCLMan: the London Pride years")? I think it would form a mildly interesting slice of RC history. I'm assuming that all the old avatars are available somewhere on server backups, but that may not be the case.

Anyway, this one must be preserved for ever.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

19-07-2007, 01:40 PM,
RC Pictures
What an amazing Avatar. I cannot believe that MLCM has changed the Pint for this new look!
A "little" change is always good.
Perhaps one day I will do the same, but in blue Big Grin
Ana Smile
20-07-2007, 06:35 AM,
RC Pictures
marathondan Wrote:Andy,

I just spotted MCLM's disturbing new avatar (maybe the orange hair is a Zen thing? Like robes), and I thought it's interesting that a member of the community can post such an... interesting... picture of themselves and no-one else bat an eyelid.

But of course if someone did post a comment, in a year or so the avatar would probably have changed (we can but hope) and the post would make no sense.

Is there any way you can make an avatar archive, perhaps with a one-line comment (e.g. "MCLMan: the London Pride years")? I think it would form a mildly interesting slice of RC history. I'm assuming that all the old avatars are available somewhere on server backups, but that may not be the case.

Anyway, this one must be preserved for ever.

Good idea, Dan.
El Gordo