Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scousenfreude
23-05-2007, 11:35 PM,
Scousenfreude
I bit my tongue as the derisive texts rained down last Saturday afternoon. My beloved Rowdies lost the battle of the Two Teams What Went To Wembley But Didn't Want To Win . . . and by 7 pm on Saturday didn't I know it.

The worst offenders were a small but dedicated cluster of Mickey Mousers who I'm sure derive more pleasure from a Rowdies failure than their own team's success. Suffice to say I shall not stoop to their level; I genuinely wanted Liverpool to lift the European Cup for a sixth time. I was really looking forward to those high-pitched tones declaring a sixth glorious victory, closely followed by the reminder that you can't buy 50 years of tradition. Sadly it was not to be. The Merseysiders were not disgraced; in fact, compared with the mauling my lot got in the San Siro this was a veritable triumph for $tevie MbE and his battle-weary warriors.

But we must move on.
I've recently invested in HD technology and was staggered by the clarity of the picture last night. Here's a random snapshot taken with my phone cam offered in evidence of the quality of the image.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

24-05-2007, 06:26 AM,
Scousenfreude
I also wanted Liverpool to win but was'nt too dissapointed that they did'nt. There were too many scousers who thought that they just had to turn up and collect the trophy. At best they are an average side who have papered over the cracks this season.

Congratulations Milan!
24-05-2007, 06:58 AM,
Scousenfreude
Sweder Wrote:The worst offenders were a small but dedicated cluster of Mickey Mousers who I'm sure derive more pleasure from a Rowdies failure than their own team's success.

Objection, m'lud!

If you listened to the partying Rowdies fans on 606 last night, you'll know that there are just as many Mancs on the other side of that annoying equation. Or an even more vivid illustration was the embarrassing booing of Liverpool 'greats' before the cup final last Saturday from, let's just say, a certain section of the crowd. Though like your magnanimous self, I know several Liverpool supporters who were hoping you'd triumph over Chelsea on Saturday.

I was sorry that Liverpool lost. I've been to Anfield about half a dozen times, and it's always a thrill. I've not found anything that comes close to that sense of footballing authenticity. And if you've never found yourself in the middle of the Kop as they go through the pre-match "You'll Never Walk Alone", your life will never feel complete. Their fans even have Liverpool accents.

As for the match itself, it was a much better spectacle than most had feared. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though Liverpool's failings up front were their own undoing. With an incisive striker, and they'd have been 2 clear at half time, even taking into account Milan's very jammy goal just on 45 minutes. I don't think Liverpool are a better side than ManU, the difference seemed to be with AC Milan. They looked half the side that had overwhelmed the mancs.

Nick - "There were too many scousers who thought that they just had to turn up and collect the trophy". That's true, but I think you'll find that excessive optimism is the prerogative of football fans going down the ages, and pretty much a prerequisite for every big game, whoever's playing in it Smile

Anyway, it's been an emotionally draining but fascinating season. Can't wait for the play-offs to finish this weekend so that we can relax for a few weeks.
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
24-05-2007, 08:08 AM,
Scousenfreude
I agree with much of what you say.
There is of course authentic 'previous' between the North West giants predating football by a century or so. Not that I claim any part in that, being a Sarf Lardarn boy.

I find any kind of triumphalism in a sport where glory is as transient as (it is in) football to be ugly and foolish. Mancs are as likely to bang on about the ‘infinite wonder’ of the '99 treble . . . yet when you watch the highlights of that season so much hinged on good fortune; last minute goals, Bergkamp's 89th minute penalty miss (OK, Schmeichel's miracle save!), Bayerns inability to hit a bovine's backside with a stringed instrument . . .

I have a small amount of sympathy for the fans this morning but in general terms they deserve both barrels, this season more than most. Liverpool nailed their colours to the Big Cup mast early doors. When United 'devalued' the FA Cup (at the request of the FA as I recall) they were vilified in the press and on the phone-ins. Both Liverpool and Milan have extracted the urine this season; Milan even more so. Is it not outrageous that a club fined and initially excluded from the competition for bribing officials have run off with Big Cup? The sight of Seedorf legging it in a mock robbery was too much for some officials to bear. In the spirit of that famous Lineker/ Gascoigne's tears mime someone who looked alarmingly like an extra from The Sopranos 'had a word' with him.

Anyway, I understand and respect the 'wonderful Anfield tradition' - I share an office with a die hard Red. Just don't expect me to like having it rammed down my throat.

Singing 'You'll never Walk Alone' through floods of tears probably doesn't warm too many cockles in Heysel - or Turin for that matter.

26-05-2007, 12:24 AM,
Scousenfreude
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseac...2031397547
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
26-05-2007, 09:36 AM,
Scousenfreude
Thanks. When I wrote the above I was unaware of the shennanigans over tickets in Athens. Correspondence in recent editions of the Fiver suggests it's not just Rowdie fans who are fed up with 'saintly' Liverpool fans rattling on about wit and tradition.

That clip reminds me of that oldie but goodie:

What goes 'beep . . . beep . . . beep . . . beep . . . '?

The Chelsea Premiership/ Man United FA Cup/ Liverpool Champions League tour bus reversing into the garage . . .

Here's to the playoffs.
Come on you Baggies!!!