Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
July - hmmm
01-07-2007, 05:09 PM,
July - hmmm
A tough weekend. Andy's sodden 10k yesterday – I breached 47 minutes.

The first K performed with the bloggers arrayed, a gentle start on a flat, fast course. Being a race though I couldn't resist and kicked on.
Overtook lots of people as I put in a strong first half, felt quicker then the sub 25 mins. displayed and I pushed on again - the 2nd loop of the lake whizzed by. I espied the 3 amigos chugging as I entered the finishing 2k, waved to no avail - they were oblivious, Ash - gently clearing his hangover, Niguel and Andy ambling alongside enjoying the occasion.

A slow time compared to past achievements, but a good step in the right direction. Need more short, fast runs to improve overall - much as I dislike them. A necessary evil for any serious training regime.

Anyway a lovely glass of champagne followed, cunningly chilled to perfection in Andy’s boot. A great pub lunch in Eton gratiously donated by Andy – a lovely way to celebrate his 50th.

Whisked off about 2pm, also had a 30th celebration that evening. Ash had a lovely doze while I vainly battled the elements on the return journey.

Wadhurst wallow.
Bewl 15 – a bit of a misnomer, actually 14.2 miles – it was far enough.

The weather abated as Rog-air sped us to Wadhurst and we hurriedly entered. Limit being 500 this was extended with handwritten numbers fortunately. Can’t wait to see the photos.

Contrast to last years 30 degree heat – perfect conditions but some parts treacherous underfoot.

10:30am, just before the off.
A minutes silence was called for, one 75 year old runner who had the vets category course record had passed away. Respect due and we were off – I started cautiously
and settled into my rhythm, felt particularly fatigued from yesterday’s exertions.

Rog’s yellow beany flying away ahead of me, my last sight of his bonce until the showers. He is running extremely well and about 6 times a week, he is also on some fast – with no alcohol, fags and anything remotely naughty allowed. He’s lost half a stone and is in particularly fine fettle.

The route around the Bewl reservoir is a perfect event, one I used to run with a friend of mine before this race started. He was there today, my yearly get together and then he was off, he has also lost a lot of weight and flew round in 1:45. I got to 6 miles and broke for a gel, swigging down water and sponged my brow – the walk/drink strategy suiting my mood. I didn’t struggle as much as last year, but it was tough. Some 2-3 miles of undulating road with some stiff ascents didn’t help. I manfully chugged up these and crept up to the 13 mile marker. I kept saying to myself just get to the last field ascent mile which is also the 1st mile and walk it. I loped up this and pushed onto the finish 2:04, 10 minutes faster than last year – Rogair 1:57, about 30 mins quicker than last year. The bugger, I need to crank up the mileage to keep up with this energetic 50 year old. He has entered Beachy Head, so a few months to get my act together and some sweet revenge – nothing like a bit of competition to get you motivated.

I was planning a marathon this month, but will conserve my resources until October.
Have Henfield Half, Jog shop Jog lined up as preparation – July looks to be a month for consolidation and upping the ante.
Moyleman
02-07-2007, 09:23 PM,
July - hmmm
Good to meet you, Moyleman, and congratulations on your time.

Some of the best performances in athletics history have been achieved off a slow start.

So they tell me.
02-07-2007, 10:45 PM,
July - hmmm
Well done Chris, on a fine weekend of running. You're good at this stuff. When we get our running club going, I'm beginning to see who may be heading up our coaching division.

Great to meet you, and thanks once again for turning up at Dorney. I know it wasn't your usual event, but I hope you enjoyed the occasion. I appreciated you coming all that way. Good man.

I look forward to the chance of a few ales when you don't have to drive. Lewes - West Ham perhaps?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
08-07-2007, 06:06 PM,
July - hmmm
A brisk 9am start, on a lovely summer’s morn. 6 intrepid souls out today, 4 training for Berlin, 1 Amsterdam and myself Beachy Head – great warm weather easing our limbs into steady rhythmic action. Out to the back of Patcham, duplicating our previous 2 runs this way. I felt in good spirits and surged along – catching my breath at the gates, stiles and allowing the guys to catch me up. A long fartlek interval type session – allowing me to really enjoy the scenery. Around the back of Stanmer Park and back over the South Downs Way to the Beacon.

Rehydration and plenty of it was the order of the day – gels were also numerous on this hot one. The drop down towards Pyecombe golf course soon greeted us, one opted for the shorter route back, we pushed on. At this point I felt relaxed and kicked on, promptly going the wrong way and found myself crossing the A23 for Newtimber Hill. This is one bastard of a climb, I dug in and ran/walked the quarter mile to the summit – I was now on my own the others having cut back on a shorter route.

I ploughed a lonely furrow on hill and meadow, espying the protruding landmark I was scanning for, namely an enormous stack of bound crops in black plastic. I was back on track and upped the pace, despite the heat felt comfortable and sped back down to Waterhall playing fields.

Elected for the tough climb to the Westdene windmill and had to drop the pace to a crawl up this vicious slope – rounded the windmill and picked it up for the home straight, namely Soft Al’s abode. Eased down to find they had been back five minutes, I had probably covered another mile extra, consoled myself with fluid and one of Alan’s partner, Suzie’s delicious chocolate brownies.

Another great Sunday training morning under the belt, which is shrinking at a rate of knots. 14 miles ish covered
Moyleman
11-07-2007, 08:06 AM,
July - hmmm
Moyleman Wrote:Suzie’s delicious chocolate brownies.

Another great Sunday training morning under the belt, which is shrinking at a rate of knots. 14 miles ish covered

Uhmmm, even better than 14 miles of chocolate brownies!
This sounds great Big Grin
Ana Smile
15-07-2007, 05:37 PM,
July - hmmm
A planned Saturday jaunt never materialised as I overslept and required the time to prepare myself for the all-day gig in the heart of Sussex, Music on the Meadow. A great, albeit long day on a slightly breezy hillside overlooking a small stage.

The bands were mostly rocky, a lot doing covers. The last on being the Counterfeit Stones, who were cracking - the lead singer taking Jagger off to a tee. Making the odd quip concerning the other band members shenanigans and about the age of the audience and politely enquiring as to whether any might be related.

No the best was definately last, however it meant I didn’t get to bed until 2am and again missed out on a run, the fact that I woke at 5 to a torrential downpour did nothing for my mood. Have felt lethargic most of the weekend and hope the overall rest will do me good. Right Achilles is also still sore and is probably grateful for the sojourn.

Managed a short run Thursday night with Soft Al’s better half Suzie, who is going well at the moment and training hard. I was finding the going hard after the Wednesday night 'Weakest link' relay in which, I being the fastest team member Big Grin did the last leg and the follow on leg with all team members, only for me to have a great run, leaving them behind having to wait at the line for them to finish.
They straggled in, Soft Al putting in a good effort, not to far behind – Suzie and Clare sauntered in, both struggling from a Tuesday night track session. Anyway I wasn’t flavour of the month after storming off around the course.
Still I felt good and had put in a reasonable performance.

Two runs, not good enough for my diary entry. Hopefully this coming week will get back on track and get the JSJ’s for a get together on Sunday.
Moyleman
20-07-2007, 05:46 PM,
July - hmmm
A fairly rapid 7 miles ish around the back of Brighton Wednesday night followed by a much slower casual 8 miles last night, down to the seafront and back via Hove Park.
Both runs in the delightful company of Soft Al and la oiseau Suzie.
Felt strong throughout and finishing which must mean I'm getting fitter - breathing especially shallow.

Right Achilles has been sore and is still no better but the runs do help in the healing process, getting the necessary blood flow through the afflicted area.

Off to the footie tonight, Brighton vs. Fulham - hope its a bright start to the forthcoming season. They were particularly dire this season - and now we have the Stadium (fingers crossed), who knows. A Championship promotion would be good.
Moyleman
29-07-2007, 11:23 AM,
July - hmmm
One long run on the 22nd, one midweek run with Al and Suzie.

My July is going the way of the pear.

However a great day yesterday livened the spirits with fellow forumites at chez Sweder, a rapid five miler over to Blackcap, followed by a few ales.
Good 'ol Lewes beating West Ham and a sumptuous barbie back @ Sweders.

On the running front though and being honest with myself I have felt jaded all month. Achilles, ankle and back niggles have ensured a low profile.

My other half's 30th has ensured I have a slack weekend, not that I mind. I feel in need of a rest, holiday - which reminds me. I'm off to the Lake District with Soft Al next week for a few days of fell walking / peak bagging.

I might be even inspired in Wainwrights's world for a run, my shoes are squared away just in case.

Happy mountain trails await.
Moyleman