Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
August - One half marathon
11-08-2007, 11:14 AM,
A slack couple of weeks, have been holidaying from everything including tinternet.

Spent erlie August up mountains with wistful, imaginative names - Old Man of Coniston, Scafell and it's Pike & Hellvellyn. Great walks and climbs ensued, 3 days of 4hr + walks left me feeling quite exhilirated and jaded when I came back down to earth in Brighton.

Have spent past week nursing aching limbs and body - lack of physical exertion doesn't sit well with me and just increases the waistline to great effect. However have enjoyed some quality time with the missus with days out and general reverie.

Intend to shake myself out of my tardiness and attempt a long run
tomorrow - 2hrs+ over our current summer foray on the Downs.

Hope it's a good 'un.
Moyleman
12-08-2007, 03:12 PM,
A slightly overcast morning and a trip round to Soft Al for the start of the trek. 4 intrepid souls out for marathon training - Al, Suzie and Clare ever present, all going well for their Berlin jaunt.

Usual course, but extended out past Newtimber Hill, onto lovely Saddlescombe and another stiff climb up to Devil's Dyke.

Route

Really felt the 2 weeks absence from the long run today, by 14 I was struggling and it took every ounce of energy to get me over the last couple of miles.

Trotted in with that sense of running on empty, just enough strength to get up a flight of stairs for a coffee and slice of cake. Swiftly revived though and managed to get to the refurbed Sportsman pub at Withdean Stadium for a lovely lunch with the requisite Guiness, loverrleee.

All bodes well for the Henfield half, next Sunday. Also bumped into Neil a fellow nutter!, I mean runner - whos roped me into some 24hr thing around Stanmer Park the day before. All for charity, so what the hell I said I'd run an hour for them.

Should be an experience nonetheless, don't get many team events in this sport.
Moyleman
12-08-2007, 03:37 PM,
Well run Chris. The very thought of 16 hilly miles in this weather is a knackering experience. I did 9 flat ones yesterday which really drained me.

I may do a half next weekend too -- Burnham Beeches. Had my number through yesterday and sort of gulped as I remembered I'd entered. Quite an undulating race. May just plod around it as a training run. (He said, implying that there is a real alternative to 'just plodding round it' Big Grin )
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
13-08-2007, 12:21 PM,
Well, Moyleman, nice that you had holidays and you didn't forget how to move legs (running), fingers (internet) and hand&arm (specially the most important mouvent which implies how to put the Ginness liquide in mounth) Big Grin
It looks like that you keeps your habitual good-form and enthusiasm. Great, and pls, push a little bit Sweder, he promised me running in my place during this sommer time... (For SP I do not even metion Wink )
Ana Smile
13-08-2007, 06:16 PM,
Nice to know people read my little ramblings. I try and read others when I get the time.

Hopefully it gives some of youse some little encouragement to get out there and enjoy the summer. Nothing better than to feel the wind, sun on you whilst gently perspiring - but I suppose that could be applied to any outdoor activity !!

Sweder is off in France for 2 weeks, in which he claims he's going to run everyday - yeah right, the big giy will be soaking up the sun, vino, grub and whatever else he can get his hands on. We will see if he comes back any slimsier. Ha!
Moyleman
24-08-2007, 02:48 PM,
A fun packed Saturday running round a 1/3 mile loop in Stanmer Park for an hour - not!! I managed 24 laps with a bit of a hangover.

Still all in a good cause, Cancer research. Most people were doing the odd hour with the brunt of 2-3 hr legs done by 4 people in not particularly nice weather overnight.
As a team we were aiming for 150 miles in 24hrs. Don't yet know how they got on but I think we should have surpassed that.

It would have finished while I was running Henfield Half on the
Sunday

A pleasant morning's run with the rain seemingly abating just for this little race in the Sussex countryside. I drove Clare, Lou and new boy and half-marathon virgin Rick to the start (check this one of Rick beating the oldest guy in the race to a sprint finish - I beared witness to this hilarious spectacle)

The great start!, a loop around a field also at the end of the race doesn't do the run justice, as you get bad bottlenecks at the beginning. Suffering the tired ignominy of having to try and run/hobble the quarter mile for the finish line exposed to waiting finishers/crowd.

Once out on the course it loops around through a field of head high corn along a single berth muddy track. Just damned difficult to get your rhythm for the first mile.
Eventually reaching a cinder track, or what appears to be an old railway track the race gets going, winding through the bridleways of Sussex.

Reached the Adur riverbank which similarly to the Seaford half on Cuckmere wends on for a couple of miles. Mile 9 caught Mark Halls who had already run 2-3 hrs @ Stanmer the previous evening finishing in the dark, drenched through at 12pm. He had also run 12 miles that morning to get to the race. This guy is training for a 100k race and certainly banging the mileage in - good luck to him. My left calf then decided to flare up, an old injury which proceeded to hamper me for the rest of the race. Still it was nice to jog with Mark and shoot the shit, by now he was fairly fatigued.

Managed to lose me on a climb to the finish. It was a race of 2 thirds good, 1 bad, with all my focus on dragging the hindering limb behind me. Got overtaken by numerous people around the field finish, but still posted around 1hr 50mins - disappointed but mileage in the bank for Beachy Head.

Next stop, calf permitting, a foray back to the Marina in earnest preparation for the Jog shop Jog and beyond. My beloved Downs, snake et al await.

Photos - the face says it all, but now a nice distant memory.
Moyleman
24-08-2007, 02:54 PM,
snake is very lucky, as 'he' has so many fans, take care of your calf Smile
Ana Smile
08-09-2007, 11:27 AM,
Christophe, any chance you might be heading Snakewards this Sunday? I fancy stepping out of my comfort zone sometime soon. With no immediate target in mind its tough to do these solo.

See you soon compadre.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

09-09-2007, 05:23 AM,
Well done, Chris. At please one of us managed to squeeze a race out of August.

The 'oldest guy in the race' looks as if he's got a few miles left in him.

Wonder if Ant Bliss will complain again about us using his snaps?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
09-09-2007, 06:58 AM,
The Moylester is dragging my sorry carcass up the Snake this morning. Should be at least 'interesting' . . . I've not crossed the Serpent's path since March Eek

I'll show him what it means to be the old goat :o

Using Ruth Archer as bait?
Shame on you man . . .

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

11-09-2007, 06:26 PM,
Sorry must have missed this earlier, have only visited the "other" site recently;-) Hope the calf is mending nicely?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  May - 3rd Marathon in 3 months Moyleman 24 14,089 23-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Moyleman