Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Almeria Half 2008 - last weekend in January
21-01-2008, 10:30 PM,
I´ll talk to the people in charge so that we all can be in the first sitting. Thanks for the new word, Andy.

Saludos

21-01-2008, 11:23 PM,
Mrs S is booked in for the half marathon, much to her amusement.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

22-01-2008, 09:04 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Mrs S is booked in for the half marathon, much to her amusement.

Be careful Sweder, she say that she only wants the t-shirt, pasta dinner and some tomatos for cooking, but perhaps she just want to win running your own PB over Wink

Great if we meet at the railway station. I will reckon you Antonio, but much better if you came with all RC team Smile even if they are tired. Some conseils for those who must wake up early...

Sweder do not forget to put SP inside your baggages

Gordo, do not forget your track du jour Wink

What I actually wonder is how 2.000 runners can eat pasta at the same time...... Eek
Ana Smile
22-01-2008, 10:30 PM,
Sadly I still appear to be a lardy bastard so am in no position to run a 1/2 marathon (much like Mrs S then...) Big Grin

But I shall be thinking of you and maybe next year.

Have a Guinness in Molly's on me. Wink

[SIZE="1"]Oh yes.....good luck with the run by the way.

...almost got me priorities right there...[/SIZE]
23-01-2008, 10:23 AM,
Err, I've just re-read my slightly drunken post of last night, and see it could be misinterpreted as me suggesting that Mrs S is somewhat lardy.

As I value my testicles I ought to go on record and state that this is definitely, probably not the case.....still like to see her run a 1/2 though. Big Grin
23-01-2008, 10:38 AM,
Blimey SP, you must have had a skinful, taking on the Mrs in that gladiatorial fashion. I've shown her the post and she remained worryingly calm.
Be afraid, be very afraid . . .

Actually she joins El Gordo on the treatment table with serious knee-knack.

I've got a message for Antonio -
Amigo, we're not there yet and already the BBC weather forecast shows heavy showers for Saturday. Que passe Dude?
Is there some local annual ritual you guys perform during this week to ensure the skies fall on Almería during the race?
And don't say 'yes, we invite the English to our town.'
I'm not buying it :mad:

23-01-2008, 11:06 AM,
Sweder Wrote:I've got a message for Antonio -
Amigo, we're not there yet and already the BBC weather forecast shows heavy showers for Saturday. Que passe Dude?
Is there some local annual ritual you guys perform during this week to ensure the skies fall on Almería during the race?
And don't say 'yes, we invite the English to our town.'
I'm not buying it :mad:

No rain forecast for Sunday though, which makes a change. Cloudy with a bit of sunshine, and pretty reasonable temperatures over the weekend -- max 17 or 18. No idea what that is in real temperature but someone did once explain to me that the further away you get from zero, moving in a non-negative direction, the less cold it gets. Can't get used to 32 not being freezing. There's no logic in this zero thing. But I'm wittering. Probably driven to distraction by my options:
  1. coming last in the Half, and sentencing the rest of the gang to hypothermia as they wait in the darkened stadium for me to turn up :o
  2. struggling round the 10K, chasing Ana's shadow Eek
  3. joining Antonio's brother on banana duty Cool
  4. finding a cosy tapas bar somewhere that has an internet connection, and finishing my annual tax return Confused

El Gordo
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
23-01-2008, 04:16 PM,
Apparently it´s going to be warmer than the previous years but not as warm as it has been these last days. Today 21º C which is quite warm.

Unfortunately, my brother won´t be able to come since he´s moved to work in Madrid.

If I were you, Andy, I´d do your tax return there so that you needn´t worry about it here.

Best of luck

Antonio

23-01-2008, 05:45 PM,
anlu247 Wrote:If I were you, Andy, I´d do your tax return there so that you needn´t worry about it here.
Wise words Antonio.
And we won't have to beat him to death for being constantly distressed about the darned thing.
Got mine signed and off today Big Grin

23-01-2008, 05:53 PM,
Sweder Wrote:Wise words Antonio.
And we won't have to beat him to death for being constantly distressed about the darned thing.
Got mine signed and off today Big Grin

It's a minor, but heretofore secret Almeria ritual. A slurred speech phone-call from the Tryp Indalo to the Inland Revenue, begging for information entered on last year's form, but long-since lost.

Anyway, if I come along to Molly Malone's on Monday evening with a briefcase, and spread the contents of various document wallets across the table, you'll know what's going on.

On the other hand, I may take Antonio's advice. We'll see.

Big Grin

El Gordo
El Gordo

23-01-2008, 11:26 PM,
I'm feeling very sad right now that I won't be joining you all in Almeria. I'd normally be boarding a plane in a couple of hours for my flight to London. Try to have fun without Nigel and me (difficult as that will be). And do enjoy the races - whichever one you decide to do. And I know you'll enjoy Molly's after - that goes without saying.

Suzie
23-01-2008, 11:42 PM,
suzieq Wrote:I'm feeling very sad right now that I won't be joining you all in Almeria. I'd normally be boarding a plane in a couple of hours for my flight to London. Try to have fun without Nigel and me (difficult as that will be). And do enjoy the races - whichever one you decide to do. And I know you'll enjoy Molly's after - that goes without saying.

Suzie

It won't be the same without you and Nigel, Suzie, but hey, that's life. Perhaps we'll have an even better time Big Grin

Anyway, you'll have to come up with a better excuse for missing 2009 than you managed this year. New job? Pah!

Hope all's going well, and it'll be great to see you when we see you.

El Gordo
El Gordo

24-01-2008, 11:21 AM,
Here's an appropriate link for the weekend Cool ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib3jqhW04...h_response

Que lo paseis muy bien.
24-01-2008, 01:50 PM,
A hugely appropriate link, BB. The song used to be played at Celtic Park everytime the Hoops scored a goal (they've since replaced it with the Fratellis apparently) and the knocked over/ broken bottle of rioja right at the end. Wonderful Big Grin

24-01-2008, 02:42 PM,
Sweder Wrote:A hugely appropriate link, BB. The song used to be played at Celtic Park everytime the Hoops scored a goal (they've since replaced it with the Fratellis apparently) and the knocked over/ broken bottle of rioja right at the end. Wonderful Big Grin

Please be careful in your use of the term "the hoops" when referring to a football team.

But yes, a great link. Never realised that song referred to Almeria.
El Gordo

24-01-2008, 03:16 PM,
El Gordo Wrote:Please be careful in your use of the term "the hoops" when referring to a football team.
Sorry mate. Of course I'd completely forgotten that Reading play in hoops Wink
[SIZE="1"](Ducks vigorously to avoid incoming projectile)[/SIZE]

24-01-2008, 10:14 PM,
Gracias, BB, por el vídeo. It´s a pity you can´t come with us.

Apparently, the band played at Almería´s fair and they were staying at Gran Hotel Almería, near the port, where the fair used to be. That year, there was a doll that was known as "la chochona" and the man was always saying that he had "la chochona" for people to buy the tickets. So, the musicians couldn´t sleep with such a noise.

See you all on Saturday. Have a safe journey!

Saludos desde Almería

25-01-2008, 07:55 PM,
OK, I'm off.

See some of you guys at about 4 a.m. Eek
El Gordo

28-01-2008, 02:22 PM,
had a good race and great post race re-hydration - was thinking about you all and look forward to reading the reports.Smile
28-01-2008, 02:40 PM,
Just popped a note in my diary with one potentially incriminating photo.
Rehydration in full swing, about to head off for the 8k mountain plummet.
More to follow.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medio Maraton XXI Almeria 2018 Sweder 19 4,567 13-12-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Antonio247
  XX Medio maratón de Almería 20th Almería half marathon Antonio247 96 58,552 07-02-2017, 02:52 PM
  Brighton Half Seanmacrook 0 1,243 10-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Seanmacrook
  Almería half marathon 2014 Antonio247 43 28,033 31-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Almeria Medio Maraton (merged threads) ladyrunner 174 147,271 26-01-2013, 11:06 AM
  Re: Firle Half Marathon Sunday 26th September The Beast of Bevendean 1 5,745 03-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  The Seaford Half Marathon Seafront Plodder 1 6,477 05-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Sweder
  Almeria 2010 El Gordo 191 157,785 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Seafront Plodder
  GNW Half Marathon (Blackpool) running4rwanda 4 7,902 02-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Last Post: stillwaddler
  Almería half marathon 2009 Antonio247 245 159,577 13-02-2009, 08:11 PM