Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race plans
11-10-2007, 08:00 PM,
Race plans
Just wondering what races people have planned over the next few months?

I've got:

Brighton 10K - entered

Cliveden 6m cross-country - Dec 30. Great event to see in the new year. Usually freezing cold, and murderously steep but scenic.

Almeria Half - last weekend in January 2008.

Reading Half - March 2. I'm keen to do this again. The dates haven't been right the last couple of years, but March 2 is perfect. Anyone else fancy it?

Boston Marathon - April 22. The big one. Running for the JDRF.

All those are definites (injury permitting.) There are also the other usual candidates to think about. Wokingham Half on 10 Feb is always good as it's the first big race of the year round these parts. Fleet's a good half in March, but is on the same day as the Bath Half which I thought of trying again in 08.

Later in the year, we did think about the Aquilianos (sp?) in June.

Anyone else?
El Gordo

Great things are done when men and mountains meet.
15-10-2007, 10:34 AM,
Race plans
Brighton 10k and Almería are for certain, barring injury.
Otherwise it's a smorgasbord of possibilities . . .

I've entered London but may defer if my number comes up and . . .
. . . I decide to return to Cape Town. If I don't do Cape Town in 2008 I'll take on the Steyning Stinger again. The races are too close to entertain both in the same year. The calf strain I picked up in this years' mudfest hindered the biggun, and if I'm honest I probably peaked at the wrong race. TOM is still up in the air; it's earlier in the year (Easter moves around) and so could be hotter than this year Eek

I like the sound of Cliveden. I'll check it out and let you know. The only other goal I have for the next twelve months is to take part in a genuine fell race. That will happen, I just need to find one for softies/ newbies :o

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

15-10-2007, 12:40 PM,
Race plans
Now entered Cliveden, Reading Half and Fleet Half.

Let's hope I stay fit enough to actually do some of these bad boys. It's a bit worrying that I keep getting minor ailments when I get anywhere near stringing a few runs together.

I'm not sure I'd travel far to do Cliveden to be honest, though I do like the race. It's always on, or around, New Year's Eve, so there's a sense of start-how-we-mean-to-go-on about it. Always horribly cold too. It's two laps of a frosty and slippery wood, including two climbs up a massive set of steps built into the hillside, and a pleasant stretch along the Thames. One of MarathonDan's local races, so he may be there.

I'm looking forward to doing Reading again. A bit urban and flat for some, I appreciate, but as town races go, this is one of the better ones. It was also the first race I ever did, in 2002, so there's a touch of nostalgia to be enjoyed for me.

Anyway, I need to get into acceptable shape for Brighton before I think too much about these.
El Gordo

15-10-2007, 07:48 PM,
Race plans
I´ve already entered Brighton 10 km. I´ll probably do El Ejido San Silvestre to say goodbye to this year. Almería half is a must for me. I don´t know yet which other races I´ll take part in but I´m not very fond of doing plans. Anyway, this year I´m not very eager to take part in many.

Regards

Antonio

18-10-2007, 10:23 PM,
Race plans
Hey Antonio, what news on registration for Almería 2008?
I'd like to circulate information amongst the Jog Shop Joggers as soon as possible (not to mention book some nice cheap flights).

Cheers
Sweder

19-10-2007, 06:48 PM,
Race plans
I'll probably enter the 8 km. New Year's Eve run again this year. It's kind of fun as they have it at 6:00 p.m. so still time to clean up and head out for the night. And being only 8 km. it doesn't matter if the temperature drops to around -20.

And I'm planning on Almeria again of course. Let us know Antonio when we can book. I'm going to follow Nigel's lead from last year and book the hotel through the site - he got a much cheaper price!

There will probably be a few halfs in the spring, that's all I seem to get excited about right now. That can change though.

Suzie
19-10-2007, 07:08 PM,
Race plans
As I said a few weeks ago, I phoned the organiser and he confirmed me that the half marathon will be on 27th January. He told me that everything will be similar to last year.

It will be great to meet all of you here again as well as any other people who feel like coming.

Apparently there are only flights from London Stansted airport in January with Easyjet. They might include flights from Gatwick as they did for November in September but I don´t know.

If any of you needs anything, just tell me.

Antonio

20-10-2007, 08:35 AM,
Race plans
Thanks Antonio. I was wondering if the site was taking bookings yet . . . but I guess I can try it and see.

For all those in the SE of England thinking about Almería, should Easyjet not fly from Gatwick I will organise a minibus to pick up from Brighton/ Gatwick areas to Stanstead. This depends on numbers, but it's something Ican arrange relatively close to the day. Should this come down to a car-load I'm happy to drive.

20-10-2007, 10:41 AM,
Race plans
Well, the website hasn´t been updated yet, Sw. Here, they take things easy, probably too easy.

I wish you could fly from Gatwick instead of Stansted in January!

I´ve also been on a run for 44 minutes this morning but it wasn´t hilly. It was along the sea front and the weather was fine. The temperature was 28º C and there were some people sunbathing on the beach.

Have a good trip in Dubai and good luck for England today.

Regards

Antonio

02-11-2007, 11:49 AM,
Race plans
I´ve just seen that there are flights from Gatwick to Almería on Saturday 26th January and to Gatwick on Tuesday 29th. Besides, there´s a special offer until next Tuesday.

Regards

Antonio

02-11-2007, 12:06 PM,
Race plans
Hurrah!

Currently you can do Gatwick - Almeria for £30 return including taxes on that weekend.

I'll book this evening, once I've found out what M's plans are. She was quite keen to go this time.
El Gordo

06-11-2007, 10:00 AM,
Race plans
Hello Andy

Been reading this site for years. I ran my first half marathon,Stevenage on 4th Nov .Ran 1 hr 54 -not bad as I had a bad knee. Have also entered Bath half-may see you there !
06-11-2007, 11:12 AM,
Race plans
Nice one Shahid. Best book in half number two and join us in Almeria then!!!

And on that subject . . .
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!:mad:
Bloomin Todofondo have references to just about every race under the sun for the rest of 2007 and well into 2008 but still no mention of (or link to registration for) the Medio Maraton of Almeria.

Que passe Amigos?
I want to get signed up super-early so I can hit the bag drop some time before Christmas . . . Big Grin

PS: Flights booked today ex LGW. 78 quid all-in for me and Mrs S including 2 bags in the hold (extra 12 quid) - not bad at all! Just need to tell the boss she's going . . . Eek

06-11-2007, 12:03 PM,
Race plans
Shahid Wrote:Hello Andy

Been reading this site for years. I ran my first half marathon,Stevenage on 4th Nov .Ran 1 hr 54 -not bad as I had a bad knee. Have also entered Bath half-may see you there !

Hi Shahid

Good to hear from you. Well done on getting round Stevenage. I've also got a bad knee but I've got fed up waiting for it to go away, so I'll try running on it.

Bath may not happen for me, I'm afraid. It's on the same day as Fleet, and I've entered that one instead. Main reason is that I thought it would be good to re-run the races I did in 2002 when I first started doing this.

Do keep posting. We could do with some fresh blood.

Andy
El Gordo

12-11-2007, 12:31 PM,
Race plans
A couple pencilled in but not yet booked:

- 6 Jan, Goring 10K
- 10 Feb, Wokingham half

Plus I'm toying with the idea of a small, local race on 13th April 2008 that you probably wouldn't have heard of.
12-11-2007, 01:18 PM,
Race plans
I've got these pencilled in but nothing is certain at the moment.
El Gordo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The RunningCommentary Race Report Archive marathondan 31 20,423 16-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Last Post: marathondan