Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rugby: The New Football?
15-10-2007, 04:59 PM,
Rugby: The New Football?
Apparently that phrase rankles equally with fans of both the round and oval ball games. Much as I love Rugby - and watching real men bashing the ever-loving daylights out of each other without so much as a wince has been a revelation after the Am Dram of the Premiership - one has to admit that good old footie throws up more comedic material than a Ming Campbell press conference.

Witness a couple of gems from today's Fiver, the Grauniad's daily e-cast. This readers' letter on hearing Paul 'lard fingers' Robinson wailing on about 'unfair' plastic pitches in Russia . . .

"Arsenal are a top-four English club and have been for some time. Arsenal have an all-weather pitch at their training ground. Arsenal have a team packed with internationals. So how can it be that, according to Paul Robinson, no England player has played on that type
of pitch before? Surely the English internationals in Arsenal's team must have .... what? Eh? Oh . . . "

[SIZE="1"]Tim Buckingham.[/SIZE]

On the same subject . . .

Meanwhile in Moscow, soon-to-be Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink has denied that the plastic pitch will give Russia an advantage.

"Taking into account the poor weather it would have been the wrong decision to play the game on natural grass," said the Dutchman, who the Fiver presume is an astute judge of what does and does not constitute good grass.

Silly I know, but it made me smile on a dreary (and still slightly hung-over) Monday.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Football joke marathondan 2 1,515 21-02-2015, 04:07 AM
Last Post: Mid Life Crisis Marathon Man
  Italian football El Gordo 0 896 18-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Last Post: El Gordo
  Rugby ad El Gordo 6 2,051 08-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Last Post: El Gordo